My new leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kledbetter

LEASED at $290/month om Oct. 4th
White
SL model w/ quick charge
Love it, I'm neglecting my 300zx fuelie
butler Nissan
I have the trickle charger only, I am looking for a cheap <$200 lvl 2 charger

kledbetter said:
LEASED at $290/month om Oct. 4th
White
SL model w/ quick charge
Love it, I'm neglecting my 300zx fuelie
butler Nissan
I have the trickle charger only, I am looking for a cheap <$200 lvl 2 charger

Welcome. For inexpensive L2, check into Ingineer's upgrade of the Nissan stock L1 trickle charger. Slightly more than $200, but It's the only way to get there on that kind of budget:

http://evseupgrade.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheapest option is looking to see if you can qualify for a free EVSE. I was able to double dip. I got my electric utility (DTE) to pay for $2500 for the charging station and installation (which I'm sure was making use of some bailout funding). Problem is the contractor (SPX) wanted to charge an outrageous price just for installation. So I was able to also enroll in the ChargePoint America program and get a free ChargePoint CT500. So I paid nothing.

The next cheapest option is to upgrade your level 1 charger. EVSEupgrade.com will do this for under $300.

For not much more than that, you can get an OpenEVSE kit and buy the necessary components to build your own. If you feel comfortable building your own computer, you can probably build your own OpenEVSE. I've got mine built but it's tripping my outlets GFCI as soon as charging starts, so I'll need to dig deeper. Since I got the free EVSE, the OpenEVSE project has been put on hold.
http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I didn't want to deal with upgrades, incentives, or DIY, I would just have my brother who works at Lowes buy me a Schneider EVlink with his discount. It was $750 last I checked and has very positive reviews.

Another option is to check eBay or Craigslist. You can usually find someone who has upgraded theirs or sold their EV and want to get rid of their old one. Sometimes you can get a good deal.

kubel said:
If you feel comfortable building your own computer, you can probably build your own OpenEVSE.
Sorry, I have to disagree with this statement. It's a long way from installing a M/B, video card, hard drive, etc. into a case and wiring up a 240 volt, 40 amp circuit which won't overheat and catch fire.

That's kind of like saying that if you can change out a 120 volt outlet, you can install a 240V 40 amp circuit from your breaker panel to your garage. Yes, it is the same type of thing, but the knowledge and skill required to safely do the latter is much higher.

Back