my vehicle service experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went in Friday for the new update and bracket thingy (recent recall); I called the day before to make sure the bracket was in, was told it was.

Friday, I dropped the car off in the am. Got a call after lunch, "Wrong bracket ordered...still trying to update our service computer with the national one." Than no word for several hours. I called them after 4 and was told the service computer was still updating.

Went and picked my car back up. Will try this again next week. At least I got a free charge out of it.

There are 3 Leafs in my town now, BTW.

DaveinOlyWA said:
tapping your filter will visually clean it only. you need to wash and dry it to even begin to effectively clean them especially if you live in a high pollen area like i do.

as far as paying someone to replace your filter?? no way. i bought a 3 pack from a place in WI for $20 and i will simply rotate them in and out of my car every 6 months just as i have done with my Prius for years.

i will say

1) the cabin filter for the Leaf is much less durable than the Prius filter

2) is 10 times more difficult to replace than the Toyota filter which can be done in less than 5 minutes. it took me the stated 20 minutes (there is very very piss poor instructions that came with the filter and it states its a 20 minute job) to replace the Leaf filter.

i think the dealer wanted to charge me like $40 for filter change? as it is, i paid $70 for the fluid change.

i do think fluid changes are a good idea to insure no contamination from the factory. this should do me for another 2 years or so

I am more worried about brake fluid getting contaminated by a dealer than the factory.

tailgate1234 said:
I am more worried about brake fluid getting contaminated by a dealer than the factory.

+1, maintenance seems to cause additional wear and tear. Most all service visits I end up with additional issues created by the service. :roll:

I had a great experience at the new Nissan Infinity dealership in San Francisco today. I dropped in this morning for the service campaign and 6 month tire rotation. Another LEAF was ahead of mine, but in 2 hrs I had those things taken care of plus a complimentary car wash! The service advisor was really nice as well as all the other staff. I was also greeted and thanked by what seemed to be an exec while I was in the waiting area.

The service advisor and exec apologized for any inconveniences/delays since it was their 1st morning. Today was the "soft" opening. Their official grand opening will be in May. It's a huge multi-level building located on the corner of Van Ness Avenue and Bush Street (service entry on Bush St.). I had zero issues and am very happy... they seemed to be well-staffed already and are now just making sure things like their phone systems, computers, communication between all their floors, Nissan, Infinity, Japan, and the likes are in order. I hope their level of service will be kept as high in the future so it can be one of our "go-to" places!

GoingGreener said:
I dropped in this morning for the service campaign and 6 month tire rotation.

There is no such thing as a 6 month tire rotation. It's strictly based on mileage, not time. Nissan recommends 7500, but Discount Tire says every 5-6000. I had mine done for free at 6K miles.

My Service and Maintenance Guide refers to both mileage and time...For those people that don't drive as much, the "time" part of the schedule takes over....

Attachments

• maint.jpg
    maint.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 75
Randy said:
My Service and Maintenance Guide refers to both mileage and time...For those people that don't drive as much, the "time" part of the schedule takes over....

It makes no sense for tire rotation to be on a 'time' basis. For example, someone may only drive 3000 miles or less in six months. There is no way the tires should be rotated at this interval. I used to drive less than 6K miles a year with some of my other cars. Remember, this manual was probably written by the Japanese and there are many places that make no sense. No offense to them, they just don't understand our language that well.

I just had the first service at Mossy Kearny Mesa, we're only at 6500, but I figured with the software upgrade, might as well bring it in and rotate. They were very pushy, wanting to do the schedule 1 service package for around $75. The kicker though is my 90 minute visit became three hours, because "there was another Leaf on the machine" and there was nothing they could do about it, despite my having an appointment, and getting countless e-mails and phone call reminders about said appointment.

I recently went into Mossy Kearny Mesa too, but just for the software upgrade. I had had my tires rotated at Discount Tires for free as most all my tires on my other cars over the years have been purchased there. Car now has 7500 miles since end of last June.

Since I work nearby at first I called to see if they could come to my office parking lot and perform the upgrade as the letter from Nissan had indicted was possible, but they indicated that they did not do that. So, I made an appointment for the next week. Later I found I had a conflict so I called them again and was very easily able to change the appointment for a few days later.

They were very good with the email and phone reminders (which really helps me).

When making the reservation they indicated someone could walk me through what was going to be done and what to expect. The service guy that first met me was friendly, but didn't know the details so he brought the technician. I mentioned I had heard that after the service sometimes the driver's automatic window no longer worked and to please check this. I asked if my radio stations, climate control and charging times would be wiped out. He indicated that he would write down the radio stations and reset them, but suggested I reset the charging times myself. after the service the radio stations were still there. At first I thought the timing setting had been wiped out, but when I started to reset the time it appear the times were still there and all I needed to do was save and click ok and everything was as before.

I did not stay during the service, but signed up for the shuttle service to take me to my office. It took them a little long (about 45 min) before calling me but I took the opportunity to talk with the other folks waiting. The driver was fine and even offered to pick me up (which I didn't expect) but I wanted to walk back to pick up my car for excersize.

Car was given a basic wash :) together with the upgrade. Funny thing on the paperwork I signed when I picked up the car it said the tire pressure had been set to 35psi. I hadn't asked for that and since I normally use 38psi and fill with Nitrogen at Costco I was a little upset. They quickly said they would remedy this and I was surprised that they said the use Nitrogen too. Turns out that when the guy was checking the tires the psi was 38 all around and nothing had actually been changed - just something they automitically put on the paperwork :?

Separately they gave me some paperwork that indicated several checks done on the car including brake pad thickness was written down. I thought they would have had to take the tires off to check that so I asked if they rotated the tires. At first they said "yes", then corrected this and said "no" :?

Finally I confirmed about the new manual and found it sitting ready for me on the front seat.

I may use them again because they are conveniently near my work, but will have to keep an eye on and check what they actually do.

Back