NEED help with Driving TIPS for EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mksE55

OK I am not a new driver but lets assume I am new to the EV leaf thing ( I am really new to EV driving) how do I get better mileage out of this vehicle. I am stuck at 3.8-3.9 miles/kWh. I drive in D mode , Eco is way to slow and takes all the fun out of the car. I would like to drive normal and obey all the speed limits( most of the time ). I see carwings thinks I am getting 5miles/kWh thats way off. I dont use the A/C or heat now , weather in TX is great nice and cool, the radio is a must so. Looking for any tips or tricks you guys can help me with. I have been lurking and doing some reading but I didnt see any topic on extending your driving range by better driving habits. I know some of the standard ICE techniques help but what am I missing on the EV side

TIA

slingshot

The easiest gains would be from driving slower on the freeway, and drive in a way that allows red lights to turn green before you arrive.

It needs to be PAINFUL to push that gas pedal. ECO mode helps with that.

Drive slow; virtually, the slower, the better where able (down to about 12mph). Super, super light on the brakes, which means letting off the gas pedal much sooner before the traffic light/stop sign. It's best if you can roll all the way to it, without brakes (but not super practical in busy traffic).

Anything you can do to keep the speed as constant as possible helps, and overall slow.

I'm in the same range as you are, 3.9 or so. Fun driving equals inefficient driving, unfortunately.

As the others have said, keep freeway speeds low, not over 60 mph. On regular roads, do nothing abruptly and everything with light pressure on the accelerator and the brakes. Watch the "bubbles" on the arc above your speedometer and keep the Power bubbles (above the neutral point) down to no more than 2 bubbles when accelerating or cruising, and use light brake pressure when braking so that you get as many Regeneration bubbles as possible so that you're not using the friction brakes. If you want to really fine tune it, put the energy screen on your main nav (blue zero emissions button, then energy screen option on the touch screen), and watch the power and regen scale to keep the power use low. This will also show you the drain from the climate control when you get into the colder and then the hotter months.

There, that's no fun, right? When you're having the least fun, you'll know that you're being the most efficient. :lol:

(I know, I know, many of us here have a blast by going as slow as possible and seeing 5s and 6s on the mi/kWh displays. :roll: )

mksE55 said:
I drive in D mode , Eco is way to slow and takes all the fun out of the car.
You might want to reconsider this. ECO isn't really any "slower" than D, it just gives the accelerator pedal a different feel. You have to press the pedal farther to get the same response, which gives you better "light foot" control, but if you mash it to the floor the car jumps just like it does in D.

The big difference between ECO and D is that when you take your foot off the accelerator in D the car glides, almost coasts, but in ECO you get what feels like significant "engine braking". That braking, without touching the brake pedal, is pumping a lot of electricity back into your battery. Yes, you can get the same result by touching the brake lightly, as others have suggested, but you may need to watch the Electric Motor Energy usage graph on the console, or at least the bubbles on the dash, to be sure you aren't braking too hard.

All that said, your biggest issue is probably top speed. I usually hold mine to 60 on the freeway, and find there are many trucks going that speed (in California their speed limit is 55), so you aren't impeding traffic if you stay in the right lane. In the LEAF you are probably not going much more than 30 miles one way on the freeway. 30 miles at 60 mph takes 30 minutes. 30 miles at 70 mph takes 26 minutes. At 60 mph you will use about 7.7 kWh to go 30 miles; at 70 mph you'll use about 9.1 kWh. So it costs you 1.4 kWh to save 4 minutes. That's 10% of your daily use if you normally recharge at three bars. It's your life and your choice, but I like saving the money, extending the range, and reducing the carbon emissions.

Ray

I've never had less than 5.2m/kW h (dash) since I've had the car. I've been a hypermiler since 1980. Try timing your lights better and when you see it green from far away, coast in 'N' by throwing the gear lever into 'R'. You can do this from 7mph and up. When you get closer...200 feet or so, use ECO to slow you down instead of your brakes. When I accelerate, I keep it between 'neutral bubble' and one bubble. If it goes to two, I let up a tad and keep it at one. You can get pretty good acceleration with one bubble. And like the rest said, if you use the freeway, keep it at 60 or below and use your cruise control. Also, keep it in ECO because it will use less power, especially with the A/C. If that doesn't raise your m/kW h, I'll eat my shirt. Have fun!

planet4ever said:
In the LEAF you are probably not going much more than 30 miles one way on the freeway. 30 miles at 60 mph takes 30 minutes. 30 miles at 70 mph takes 26 minutes. At 60 mph you will use about 7.7 kWh to go 30 miles; at 70 mph you'll use about 9.1 kWh. So it costs you 1.4 kWh to save 4 minutes.

Very well put Ray, also the less abuse (use) you give the battery the longer it will last.. it may mean several thousand $$ when trade-in time arrives. Those extra 4 minutes saved will cost you a bar of range.

Thanks for the info. I will try ECO more and see if I can live with it. I have a short drive about 20 miles but most is around a loop I keep it at 55mph. I do have 3 lights to go thru and they have the worst timing ever.

Boomer23 said:
I'm in the same range as you are, 3.9 or so. Fun driving equals inefficient driving, unfortunately.

As the others have said, keep freeway speeds low, not over 60 mph. On regular roads, do nothing abruptly and everything with light pressure on the accelerator and the brakes. Watch the "bubbles" on the arc above your speedometer and keep the Power bubbles (above the neutral point) down to no more than 2 bubbles when accelerating or cruising, and use light brake pressure when braking so that you get as many Regeneration bubbles as possible so that you're not using the friction brakes. If you want to really fine tune it, put the energy screen on your main nav (blue zero emissions button, then energy screen option on the touch screen), and watch the power and regen scale to keep the power use low. This will also show you the drain from the climate control when you get into the colder and then the hotter months.

There, that's no fun, right? When you're having the least fun, you'll know that you're being the most efficient. :lol:

(I know, I know, many of us here have a blast by going as slow as possible and seeing 5s and 6s on the mi/kWh displays. :roll: )

I was afraid of that, I am not sure I am old enough to find going slow a blast yet but at least I am not doing triple digits every day like in the past.

LEAFfan said:
I've never had less than 5.2m/kW h (dash) since I've had the car. I've been a hypermiler since 1980. Try timing your lights better and when you see it green from far away, coast in 'N' by throwing the gear lever into 'R'. You can do this from 7mph and up. When you get closer...200 feet or so, use ECO to slow you down instead of your brakes. When I accelerate, I keep it between 'neutral bubble' and one bubble. If it goes to two, I let up a tad and keep it at one. You can get pretty good acceleration with one bubble. And like the rest said, if you use the freeway, keep it at 60 or below and use your cruise control. Also, keep it in ECO because it will use less power, especially with the A/C. If that doesn't raise your m/kW h, I'll eat my shirt. Have fun!

You probably should wear 100% cotton I hear it taste better, :D I will let you guys know something next week after trying these things for a while. Overall I still dont mind only getting 70-80 miles on a full charge if I can drive like normal but I would like to be able to push it on occassion since I am not charging everyday sometime get 3 days between charge on 100% and always 2 days between charge on 80%. seems I only get about 60miles on 80% charge. I know it will be worse when winter gets here.

change your idea of what fun means when you are driving. zipping around like you are on a car pinball course is not going to work.
turn the car dash and the bubbles and the nav display power-use meter into a driving video game.
make that fun.

you need to stop driving like a teenager or a nascar wannabe.
sorry for the 'tude.

did sneak past 4.0 to 4.1 for a day, ECO was helpful . but man you are in slow-mo everywhere you go. Thanks for the tips. I did also increase my range to closer to 75-80 miles on a full charge instead of like 60-70.

mksE55 said:
did sneak past 4.0 to 4.1 for a day, ECO was helpful . but man you are in slow-mo everywhere you go. Thanks for the tips. I did also increase my range to closer to 75-80 miles on a full charge instead of like 60-70.
thankyouOB said:
change your idea of what fun means when you are driving. zipping around like you are on a car pinball course is not going to work. turn the car dash and the bubbles and the nav display power-use meter into a driving video game.
Interesting. You have a short commute of 20 miles, so was it worth it to bother increasing miles/KWh? Another video game option is to push as hard as you can to get the lowest miles/kWh as you can ;-)

Back