New 2015 battery underperformance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booper

I just picked up a new 2015 Leaf 1.5 weeks ago, and noticed from a full charge, I lost 1 bar after traveling just 3 miles.

Also, in general the range has seemed worse than the 2013 Leaf lease I just returned. Is there a way to check on the state of the battery, or some standard that a "New" Leaf should have?

Wondering if I can have the dealer deal with it in some way.

Dash information display on 2015 is certainly calibrated differently than 2011--I don't know how it compares to 2013. Have you checked the actual range by running it to very low battery warning or turtle? My 2015 has much more range after low battery warning and very low battery warning than the 2011 with P3227 software update. If the car sat on the lot for a long time, it may take a few full discharge/charge cycles to get to its full capacity. You could mention your concerns to your dealer to document them and allow the dealer to make any tests they feel are needed.

Gerry

Thanks - I did e-mail the dealer, and he suggested coming in to the service to dept to run a battery test. Should I wait a bit longer to see how it is after some more cycles? I ran it down to 15 miles before, but not below.

I have not looked into LeafSpy before - maybe I should check it out.

booper said:
Thanks - I did e-mail the dealer, and he suggested coming in to the service to dept to run a battery test. Should I wait a bit longer to see how it is after some more cycles? I ran it down to 15 miles before, but not below.

Based on these answers, I definitely think you should read about/use your Leaf for awhile before complaining about range. At the very least, a new battery pack requires some "break-in".

Stanton said:
booper said:

Based on these answers, I definitely think you should read about/use your Leaf for awhile before complaining about range. At the very least, a new battery pack requires some "break-in".

+1 and immediately get an OBD2 and Leafspy app.

Many 2015 owners have found that their capacity actually improved quite a bit after several L2 charges, or even better results seem to come from quick charging a few times. But, without LeafSpy you are just guessing, and I'll guarantee you that you are wasting your time going to the dealer. One thing I have found out in 4+ years of Leaf ownership is that you need to take such matters into your own hands.

Evoforce said:
[
immediately get an OBD2 and Leafspy app.
+1 - It MUST be an OBD2 dongle that's actually compatible w/LeafSpy, not just random one.
keydiver said:
But, without LeafSpy you are just guessing, and I'll guarantee you that you are wasting your time going to the dealer. One thing I have found out in 4+ years of Leaf ownership is that you need to take such matters into your own hands.
+1

Thanks for the feedback. What recourse would I have with Nissan - let's say I find that battery capacity is below the "norm" (is there a definition of what a new battery capacity should be at?) using LeafSpy. Would they do anything about it, or say as long as I haven't lost a 4th bar within the warranty period, there is nothing they will do?

I'm in the PNW, so hoping for a long life for the battery.

Maybe I was lucky, but the 2013 I drove for 2.5 years seemed to hold up very well.

I only have L1 at home, but have done 2 L2 charges with the new 2015, only for about 2 hours each time though.

I would believe what we are all trying to say is... Let's not take time trying to speculate but have you gather the required battery specs so than we can help lead you to the correct choices of action.

Evoforce said:
I would believe what we are all trying to say is... Let's not take time trying to speculate but have you gather the required battery specs so than we can help lead you to the correct choices of action.
+1

Everything else right now is a waste of time w/o stats. And even then, dealer won't do squat based upon LeafSpy stats.

Evoforce said:

Curious what this action might be even if LeafSpy readings are low. It would seem that the OP is stuck with the car unless the sales contract has a provision for a return. They will promptly discard LeafSpy readings and say the car is fine, as they always do.

Like everyone has said, buy an OBD reader and Leaf Spy.

If you are fully charged, you shouldn't drop the first charge bar (not capacity bar) until 91%. In my experience this seems to be pretty linear. I know exactly where I get every morning on my commute when I hit 91% and its about 8 miles away from my house. Pretty flat route though.

You definitely need LeafSpy to tell you more info. The dealer battery test is almost worthless.

How are you driving for the first 9% to drop a bar? (1st bar at 91%)

I've driven freeway and got to 91% within 2-3 miles before but I could drive flat and slow (or even downhill) and have 7-10 miles by 91%.

Not sure if this was said yet, but regen will be limited during the 100%-90% charge range as well because it won't let you overcharge the battery, so you'll have less efficiency during this time if you are in stop and go opportunities or going downhill.

Back