New Guy looking at possible LEAF purchase in NC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lpickup said:
martel said:
mkjayakumar said:
I don't think you need to wait to get your L2 installed in your garage before buying the Leaf. I bought the Leaf two weeks ago and now I am even thinking perhaps I will not get an L2 for a long time. L1 charging works fine for my needs.

So you just called and got a waiver for the home assessment?

You'll probably need to do that anyway if you're going through Progress (or Duke) to get a free charger as it that doesn't go through Nissan anyway.

When I go through the Nissan site it apparently signs me up with Progress, so they are plugged in to the process somehow (no pun intended).

martel said:
So you just called and got a waiver for the home assessment?

What waiver for home assessment? I am sorry I am probably missing some information which you all seem to have. If this assessment is anything to do with the EV project, the Blink rep told me that I don't qualify since my car does not have a QC port.

mkjayakumar said:
What waiver for home assessment? I am sorry I am probably missing some information which you all seem to have. If this assessment is anything to do with the EV project, the Blink rep told me that I don't qualify since my car does not have a QC port.
Calling up Nissan for a home charging station waiver just removes the home charging station steps from the LEAF ordering dashboard (otherwise you go through them to purchase and install your home charging station).

martel, if it signed you up through Progress, that's definitely a new feature (cool!) but I would still follow up anyway. Like I said before: it was very early on in the process when I did it--I was probably one of the first few to go through the process--but there were a lot of issues along the way, so I did have to stay on top of it myself.

Having said that, unless you are waiting for the assessment to be done before making a purchase decision, you probably have plenty of time. I know people that had their assessment done a week before their LEAF arrived. My charging station was installed literally the day before my LEAF arrived! Once they get you on the calendar, the process for getting the assessment and installing the charging station is really quick.

lpickup said:
Having said that, unless you are waiting for the assessment to be done before making a purchase decision, you probably have plenty of time. I know people that had their assessment done a week before their LEAF arrived. My charging station was installed literally the day before my LEAF arrived! Once they get you on the calendar, the process for getting the assessment and installing the charging station is really quick.

Good to know. Guess I'll have to call them. They won't let you go to the next step of ordering unless you have the home assessment done/scheduled/waived.

I already bought an orphaned leaf and have been driving this for two weeks now, happily charging on L1.

The Nissan dealer told me that I am on my own in getting an assessment and installing an L2 from any number of vendors that are out there. He suggested evGo as one option but nothing beyond that. The Blink rep informed me that I don't qualify for EV project as my car does not have an QC port. So I came to the conclusion that I am not going to get any credits from any of the avenues out there as far as installing or purchasing an L2 EVSE. I am in DFW area, Texas.

It is kind of strange.. some of you have been waiting for months to get yours delivered.

I though just stopped by the local dealer one day just to take a look at the car, ended up doing a test drive, read this form furiously several hours a day and then 1 week later, the car was in my driveway.

Test drive + Federal credit + this forum = car in my garage in a week.

martel said:
Good to know. Guess I'll have to call them. They won't let you go to the next step of ordering unless you have the home assessment done/scheduled/waived.
Again, hard to know since they apparently have changed things, but even back when I went through the process there was not really a "wait" at that step, per se. Both the Nissan and Progress Energy (AeroVironment) systems had you schedule your assessment appointment online. You didn't have to wait for them to call you to set up an appointment. Now once your assessment was done then yes, you had to wait until you actually received the assessment--this is the state my dashboard sat in for practically the entire process, but it let me go ahead and order, etc.

There were only 3 things I remember having to "wait" for:

1) Results of assessment (took about 3 months, but eventually was transparent to me, other than it was within the $2000 allowed by Progress, so no extra charge for me).
2) Response to my Request-a-Quote. Took about a day.
3) Actually waiting for the car to arrive!

Everything else either flowed from one step to the other or was scheduled online.

Granted, there WERE hiccups in the whole process for me, particularly between Progress and AV. Most of this was trying to schedule my installation. The AV web site they had me log into kept telling me I had to schedule an assessment (even though I had previously done it through the Nissan page). I had to call over and over again to actually get them to schedule an installation. The first level support was not able to do this for me. It was not until I talked to the manager that was the liaison with Progress that she was able to manually schedule an installation for me. If you look through the "NC Orders" forum, you'll probably find my tales of woe: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martel said:
lpickup said:

I just went through this whole process in Jan/Feb. I waited about 3 weeks and heard nothing so I called the Progress Energy Number 1.888.810.0399. They were pretty helpful but what happened is that the information I entered into the Nissan system did not get automatically sent over to the EV Solutions (the people handling the program for Progress). So he pointed me to another website to register with them. I waited another two weeks after that and called Progress again at which point he checked with EV Solutions to find I got accepted into the program. Then another week or two without hearing anything then calling EV Solutions and on and on. Took roughly two months to go from entering the reservation into the Nissan system to the point where the Charging stations was installed. Around a week after I got excepted by Progress Energy I called Nissan and got waived from the Charging Assessment.

So I would call soon and often. The funny thing is that for at least 2 weeks after I got the unit installed I was getting calls from EV Solutions about setting up an appointment to install the unit. So the communication between all the parties is not too great.

We just got our Leaf this week so the wait is a distant memory know.
Good Luck

Things may have changed, but back when I went through the process the AeroVironment inspection cost $100 which you got credit for only if you signed up for their very expensive installation. Just call 877-NO GAS EV and ask for a waiver. You can then research EVSE options at your leisure. If you decide to go with some professional installation, they will almost certainly include the inspection at no extra cost. Why throw away a hundred bucks?

Ray [Sadder but wiser]

Back