New Leaf owner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hd172 said:
Im getting the Blink station installed of free from the ev project.
If the electrician they send to your house gives you a ridiculous quote (thousands of dollars extra) for the installation, don't accept - unless you know the work is extremely involved. The first company quoted me about $4500 additional on top of what Ecotality will pay. I asked for a second opinion, and they sent out someone from Tracy - Campbell Family Electric, I believe. They were a pleasure to work with, and their quote was much more reasonable.

My Blink unit froze on me a few times when I tried to access it from my home computer, and I had to power cycle it. Other than that I haven't had any issues with it. I haven't tried since the v2 firmware was pushed onto it.

Oh, if you intend to call PG&E for E9a rates, be prepared to spend at least 1/2 hour on the phone. If you want E9b, you need to get an electrician to do the work, pull the permits, etc.

hd172 said:
Im getting the Blink station installed of free from the ev project.

If it was my money, I wouldn't bother then. While it would be great to have options, that's still a lot of money to spend without any planned usage. Don't get me wrong: I think the ugprade is a great idea for those who can't get a charging station for free and want to avoid what I think is outrageous pricing models for EVSEs, and it's a no-brainer for those that have frequent access to 220V outlets. But if you're like me and don't even know anyone with a 220V outlet it's hard to justify.

Charger was installed quickly with no problems. I told the electrician about the numerous complaints. He claimed a large majority are from 2wire routers.

hd172 said:
So I don't have a 220v plug in my garage. I can't charge at work. Do you think I should still upgrade my brick?
If you have two 120V outlets in your garage that are out of phase and not GFCI protected and not under a shared heavy load, you can buy a Quick220 to turn the 2 outlets into a single 240V outlet. Then you can justify upgrading your brick.

My 84 year old dad liked my Leaf i got 6 weeks ago that he traded his paid off Lexus RX 330 yesterday for a 2011 Leaf Sl. so, like they say, like father like son but backwards in this case.

Here is a pix of the 2. Sleeping together.

20120310_151357.jpg

Ian B

Back