New member, EVSE 400V 16A

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giancarlo64

Hi to all
I bought a used Nissan Leaf a week ago. The 62kW version.
I live in Switzerland and at home I have a 400V 16A Typ 15
SN_441011

plug . Do you know if there is an original NISSAN portable EVSE on the market or by Nissan approved one like the one supplied from Nissan but for three-phase connection?

Gian Carlo

giancarlo64 said:
Hi to all
Welcome to the forum.

And welcome to the Leaf-owning club.

I live in Switzerland and at home I have a 400V 16A Typ 15 plug .
Do you know if there is an original NISSAN portable EVSE on the market or by Nissan approved one like the one supplied from Nissan but for three-phase connection?

Unfortunately, three phase doesn't help with charging a car if the on-board charger (which does the actual AC-DC conversion, i.e. the real charging) is only single phase, as it is for most Japanese EVs, including I believe the European Leaf (ev-database page).

Sadly, the best you can get from that 15A socket is around 3kW. It would be best to buy a wall mounted EVSE, single phase or three phase (the latter for later EVs, if you think you might get one), rated at 32A. This will give you the fill 6.6kW that the on-board charger is capable of.

giancarlo64 said:
Hi to all
Welcome to the forum.

And welcome to the Leaf-owning club.

I live in Switzerland and at home I have a 400V 16A Typ 15 plug .
Do you know if there is an original NISSAN portable EVSE on the market or by Nissan approved one like the one supplied from Nissan but for three-phase connection?

Unfortunately, three phase doesn't help with charging a car if the on-board charger (which does the actual AC-DC conversion, i.e. the real charging) is only single phase, as it is for most Japanese EVs, including I believe the European Leaf (ev-database page).

Sadly, the best you can get from that 15A socket is around 3.3kW. It would be best to buy a wall mounted EVSE, single phase or three phase (the latter for later EVs, if you think you might get one), rated at 32A. This will give you the fill 6.6kW charging power that the on-board charger is capable of.

Hi Coulomb,
Thank you for your answer. So I think I'll buy a wall mounted 22kW EVSE so I can charge with 6.6kW.
Do you know the prices of CHAdeMO charger?
I see they are very expensive. But at home I have a Photovoltaic installation so I could use the battery in bidir mode and increase self-consumption.

Gian Carlo

giancarlo64 said:
Do you know the prices of CHAdeMO charger?
No, but 6.6kW seems like a decent fit for a typical solar installation, so I don't see the need for CHAdeMO at home, unless you have a massive solar array.

Hi Coulomb,
I have 13.5kW of PV installed that generate more or less 17'000kWh of energy every year. My consumption is about 2000 kWh/year the rest will flow in the grid.
And in my country we receive about 4000$ of incentives if we buy a bidir charger. So if I could find a CHAdeMO bidir charger not to expensive it would be interesting.

Gian Carlo

CHAdeMO was not intended for home use (very high DC voltage), so I would focus on the L1/L2 options mentioned previously. Besides, the cost of an L3 charger would probably equal the value of your Leaf :shock:

giancarlo64 said:
And in my country we receive about 4000$ of incentives if we buy a bidir charger.
It sounds to me that to qualify for the incentive, you would need a V2G system. The only affordable CHAdeMO charrgers that I know of are from Setec, and they don't seem to make a V2G model as yet, only V2H.

They do make a 10kW unidirectional charrger, which would make better use of your excess solar, but you won't get the incentive. It's also not clear to me whether you can tell it to scale back the power to roughly match available excess solar power.

If it's literally any bidirectional charrger that qualifies for the inventive, there is a 6kW V2G model. That's not quite as fast as the on-board charrger, but if you get it subsidised, it might be of interest.

Back