New owners: Please describe highway noise/sound level

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried that in mine with the volume really cranked and I don't hear anything. There might be a slight grounding or filtering issue in your car...

Jimmydreams said:
I actually hear the whine IN my stereo system...usually with the volume turned up a bit but with more quiet music playing.....I hear it over XM radio, but haven't tried it with my iPhone. It also comes over the AM radio when I listen to KFI. (yes, I listen to AM sometimes!) :lol:

Jimmy, I hear the same sound -- it goes away when you turn the radio off -- sitting inside the garage in my very quiet neighborhood.

Jimmydreams said:
I actually hear the whine IN my stereo system...usually with the volume turned up a bit but with more quiet music playing.....I hear it over XM radio, but haven't tried it with my iPhone. It also comes over the AM radio when I listen to KFI. (yes, I listen to AM sometimes!) :lol:

When the car is sitting still, the noise in the radio is unlikely to be motor-related.

Perhaps the DC-to-DC converter, or other running electronics or pump/fan drive.

Some have said that CARWINGS transmissions seem to cause noise from the speakers, even with the AV system turned Off.

Perhaps the speaker pre-amp and amp are always On (when the car is On) just in case any verbal warnings, chimes, etc. are needed.

Jimmydreams said:
Different issue. The whine from the motor is audible - and was reported by Jim Motavalli as well.

I have a very annoying Pulsing/wind noise when the rear window is more than ¼ of t he way down. My speed was only about 30 MPH.

It happens whether one or both windows are down!

I was trying to save power by having the A/C off……..

Does anyone else have this effect?

Note: A friend took me for a ride in his 300M Chrysler and it did the same thing but not as bad……

david2344 said:
Probably a false economy. Opening the windows increases drag. There's a crossover speed where the drag exceeds the A/C draw. While I don't know where that point is on the LEAF, 30MPH is high enough that you probably aren't saving much energy opening the windows, and might be using MORE.

That said, both my Prius and my Honda Pilot suffer from this, although opening more than one window usually quells it. Since the LEAF rear windows are smaller than both of those, maybe even two windows aren't enough.

davewill said:
david2344 said:
Probably a false economy. Opening the windows increases drag. There's a crossover speed where the drag exceeds the A/C draw. While I don't know where that point is on the LEAF, 30MPH is high enough that you probably aren't saving much energy opening the windows, and might be using MORE.

That said, both my Prius and my Honda Pilot suffer from this, although opening more than one window usually quells it. Since the LEAF rear windows are smaller than both of those, maybe even two windows aren't enough.

Mythbusters did a show on this. Granted, it's for ICE vehicles, but they said 50-55 mph was the break-even point for fuel economy vs a/c use. 50-55 and under, open windows had negligible affect. Above 55mph, the drag gets to be too much.

david2344 said:
I have a very annoying Pulsing/wind noise when the rear window is more than ¼ of the way down....

Yes, that happens in a lot of 4 door sedans.
Annoying "buffeting" when only the rear windows are open.
So many times I have to ask my kids to close their windows.

TEG said:
david2344 said:
I have a very annoying Pulsing/wind noise when the rear window is more than ¼ of the way down....

Yes, that happens in a lot of 4 door sedans.
Annoying "buffeting" when only the rear windows are open.
So many times I have to ask my kids to close their windows.

+1 one on this, every 4 dr car I have ever had does this. It is called a Helmholtz resonance

david2344 said:
I have a very annoying Pulsing/wind noise when the rear window is more than ¼ of t he way down. My speed was only about 30 MPH.
Crack 2 diagonal windows down a couple inches - this usually works to get some air through the car with minimal wind noise. Some experimentation required to find the optimal level.

LindaK said:
My 3 day old car has a sound I would describe as a 'whine' with variable pitch, depending on speed. Should I be visiting my dealer for service? Does anyone else hear this whine?
To me, it sounds like a jet engine's turbine winding up. The whine/whistle/jet engine sound is more prominent with the windows down or when driving close to a concrete barrier. I love the sound!

aqn said:
LindaK said:
My 3 day old car has a sound I would describe as a 'whine' with variable pitch, depending on speed. Should I be visiting my dealer for service? Does anyone else hear this whine?
To me, it sounds like a jet engine's turbine winding up. The whine/whistle/jet engine sound is more prominent with the windows down or when driving close to a concrete barrier. I love the sound!

Yeah, I think I might nickname my leaf jetblue, since that's my favorite airline and my car is blue.

On the highway, it sounds pretty normal for any car except there is not ICE power to listen to.

Also, the "pipe organ" effect, much like blowing across the mouth of a "coke" (type) bottle. The bigger the volume, the lower the pitch. Thus, the buffeting can be quite severe.

david2344 said:

It happens whether one or both windows are down!

Does anyone else have this effect?

Note: A friend took me for a ride in his 300M Chrysler and it did the same thing but not as bad……
Yep, as others have said, this is due to the buffeting effect of the vehicle... Unfortunately the best solution is to make the car less aerodynamic! :D

DarkStar said:
Yep, as others have said, this is due to the buffeting effect of the vehicle... Unfortunately the best solution is to make the car less aerodynamic! :D
I wonder whether cars can "regen" a bit of the energy lost in air resistance by running small wind turbines on the roof/sides (I mean really small).

Sounds, with windows shut, (loudest to quietest):

1. Tire/Road noise, can be LOUD or VERY quiet, depending primarily upon the road surface.

2. Traffic Noise, from other, now ofren VERY noticable, vehicles.

3. Internal Cabin Fan, surprisingly loud, but not too bad at the low fan speeds, but can easily be the dominant source of noise.

4. Radio ... noise. :D

5. People Noises, usually with their UPPER alimentary canal orifice. :lol:

6. Wind noise, usually VERY slight (to my old ears).

evnow said:
DarkStar said:
I wonder whether cars can "regen" a bit of the energy lost in air resistance by running small wind turbines on the roof/sides (I mean really small).
Sure, but it would only make sense if they could be deployed when slowing down the car.

Nope, even if you theoretically had a 100 percent efficient wind turbine, you would gain nothing as the power generated would equal the drag created. Thus, no gain.

Now, if you wanted to use it as a speed brake like on an airplane, that might be another matter...

evnow said:

Back