new york city leaf... im looking for them but...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
It sounds like from that description that you can technically drive the car out of the state via the quickest route possible, only stopping for gas, food, repairs, etc. as long as it not for recreational or commercial uses. But the problem with that even a new car needs a temp reg to be legal to drive on CA roadways, and to get the temp reg you have to apply for registration, which means paying all the necessary fees.

Thanks - good to know. Of course, with EVs the best solution is usually just to transport the car right from the dealer if going any distance at all.

cgaydos said:
RonDawg said:
It sounds like from that description that you can technically drive the car out of the state via the quickest route possible, only stopping for gas, food, repairs, etc. as long as it not for recreational or commercial uses. But the problem with that even a new car needs a temp reg to be legal to drive on CA roadways, and to get the temp reg you have to apply for registration, which means paying all the necessary fees.

Thanks - good to know. Of course, with EVs the best solution is usually just to transport the car right from the dealer if going any distance at all.

I would say it would be the best solution for any car you purchase in California with the intent of registering elsewhere. That way it removes any doubt that you exported the car in the most expeditious manner possible, and that you didn't use the car for personal use while it was still within the state.

Kind of sad, but Gregoris Nissan in Valley Stream (just across the border from Queens) had the exact car you wanted about a month ago. I called to inquire about it after seeing it on the website, and it was already sold! They told me they were getting in a Black S in a few days, and they've been sitting on that car ever since. I know that in most of the country the S's have been selling very well, but they can't seem to get rid of the one here.

NYLEAF said:
Kind of sad, but Gregoris Nissan in Valley Stream (just across the border from Queens) had the exact car you wanted about a month ago. I called to inquire about it after seeing it on the website, and it was already sold! They told me they were getting in a Black S in a few days, and they've been sitting on that car ever since. I know that in most of the country the S's have been selling very well, but they can't seem to get rid of the one here.
yea i went there yesterday, i dont think i want that one tho. unless i get an insane deal on it.

Check out Hoselton Nissan near Rochester, NY. That's where mine came from (about to take delivery, probably tomorrow), and it looks like they still have 2 of the listed on their site.

IMO, if you are going to spend this much on a car, and are going to own it, then get what you want feature wise (colors are definitely a problem).

lion said:
Check out Hoselton Nissan near Rochester, NY. That's where mine came from (about to take delivery, probably tomorrow), and it looks like they still have 2 of the listed on their site.

IMO, if you are going to spend this much on a car, and are going to own it, then get what you want feature wise (colors are definitely a problem).

i plan on leasing it

Well if you are willing to pay for shipping it, give them a call, or have your dealer contact them, assuming none closer have any. Or maybe you can make it a weekend trip with a U-haul trailer.

lion said:
Well if you are willing to pay for shipping it, give them a call, or have your dealer contact them, assuming none closer have any. Or maybe you can make it a weekend trip with a U-haul trailer.
i never thought of the trailer. i was going to lookup quick charging stations along the route to charge at least once on the way home

There are none, sorry. It's something I'm fighting for via my ChargeNY project.

The trailer is the cheapest option, especially if you have a truck with a tow package already (or a buddy who does).

To save you a step, I could put you in touch with my sales guy here in Syracuse, who has learned a lot about the LEAF thanks to me going through this process (he admitted he didn't know as much as he wanted to, and was eager to learn, and has been really fantastic).

Assuming Hoselton still has the car, then the Syracuse dealer can drive the car back from Rochester to Syracuse, at no cost to you (this is a 80-90 mile trip, up to 90 minutes depending on the route they take), so this would save you some real time/mileage (x2, since it's a round trip) should you haul the car yourself. This is assuming there isn't car closer now.

I still got all my discounts, plus I didn't get charged for them having to do this.

Let me know if you want to go this route, I don't get any kickbacks, I'm just trying to help dealers to become better at selling EVs.

Have you checked with your local dealer how close the nearest super black premium SL is?

acegreatone said:
lion said:
i never thought of the trailer. i was going to lookup quick charging stations along the route to charge at least once on the way home
once? do you realize the distances between Rochester and where you are?

apvbguy said:
acegreatone said:
lion said:
once? do you realize the distances between Rochester and where you are?
I coast a lot lol :mrgreen:

So have you called your dealers to find the closest black model, and have you given my Syracuse idea some more thought? They way they are moving stock, I wouldn't hesitate too much ;)

Destination Nissan in Albany seems to do a brisk Leaf business. They have 8 Leafs in stock, though none are black with leather. (There is one black SV, same as I bought last month.) They have one SL with leather and it's red. It would be a shorter trip to NYC than Syracuse or Rochester. It could be done in a day if you get to Albany early in the morning, and they have it fully charged. Sign the papers and depart at 9:00. 60 miles to L2 and Lunch in Kingston (say, arrive at 10:30 and leave at 2:00). 35 miles to L2 and snack in Newburgh (3:00-5:00). Then 60 more miles to NYC in time for a late dinner at home. Ramsey NJ might be a better second stop than Kingston (makes the last leg shorter) but you get the idea. Newburgh also has two black SV's in stock, so maybe if you call them and ask them to charge your brand new Leaf you plan on buying in Albany, they might make a deal. :)

Staque said:
Destination Nissan in Albany seems to do a brisk Leaf business. They have 8 Leafs in stock, though none are black with leather. (There is one black SV, same as I bought last month.) They have one SL with leather and it's red. It would be a shorter trip to NYC than Syracuse or Rochester. It could be done in a day if you get to Albany early in the morning, and they have it fully charged. Sign the papers and depart at 9:00. 60 miles to L2 and Lunch in Kingston (say, arrive at 10:30 and leave at 2:00). 35 miles to L2 and snack in Newburgh (3:00-5:00). Then 60 more miles to NYC in time for a late dinner at home. Ramsey NJ might be a better second stop than Kingston (makes the last leg shorter) but you get the idea. Newburgh also has two black SV's in stock, so maybe if you call them and ask them to charge your brand new Leaf you plan on buying in Albany, they might make a deal. :)
do you know if any dealers will have a new shipment of of 2013 leafs??? or is this it for 2013 and just wait til they start with the 2014's?

2013's only started shipping this year, can't imagine they are waiting for the 2014's already, plus I know the dealer in Rochester was still receiving new ones. The build date on my car was 5/14/2013 iirc, so they are definitely still making them.

lion said:
2013's only started shipping this year, can't imagine they are waiting for the 2014's already, plus I know the dealer in Rochester was still receiving new ones. The build date on my car was 5/14/2013 iirc, so they are definitely still making them.
Good to know, ther e is still hope :)

acegreatone said:
(Have you considered buying one of the black SL's from a NW dealer and having it shipped to you?)

Good luck!!

yes i called dealers in cali and texas. they said they talked to there GM and cant ship out of state. and said fly to the west coast and buy it. That would be some trip back to ny.[/quote]

Fontana and Mossy Nissan (San Diego) will definitely ship out of state.

TonyWilliams said:
acegreatone said:
(Have you considered buying one of the black SL's from a NW dealer and having it shipped to you?)

Good luck!!

yes i called dealers in cali and texas. they said they talked to there GM and cant ship out of state. and said fly to the west coast and buy it. That would be some trip back to ny.

Fontana and Mossy Nissan (San Diego) will definitely ship out of state.[/quote]
im calling/sending emails to these dealers now. ill let you know how it went.

Back