Nissan Connect, which cellular carrier?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyct

Leaf Supporting Member
I read somewhere the Nissan uses the AT&T 2G GSM network to send and receive communications from our cars. I believe they were using 2G which was supposed to be phased out by the end of 2016.

When we moved to this house 2 years ago we were using AT&T for cell phones. We found that AT&T cell phones would not work here. We would get no bars our house and AT&T GSM for alarm systems also got no signal so we had to switch to Verizon CDMA phones and Verizon CDMA cellular communicator for home alarm. This makes me suspect that perhaps Nissan changed something since our car communicates fine.

Does anyone know for sure which cellular provider Nissan is using?

It's still AT&T 2G GSM service as far as what they've listed on their website on this topic:

CARWINGS requires a compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network is not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Nissan's control. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, CARWINGS will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Nissan cannot guarantee. Nissan not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued CARWINGS operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks).

http://www.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/faq

This also appears ...

AT&T is a third party that Nissan does not control, and technology in this area is constantly evolving. Nissan strives to stay ahead of evolution in technology but that is sometimes a challenge given the nature of technology and changes made by third parties outside of Nissan's control. We are exploring alternative network solutions for LEAF CARWINGS service options, and although we don't have anything to announce now, if and when we do we will advise customers.

Right. Your car only has AT&T 2G hardware in it. No one has more modern radios for the Leaf yet. Until they put a new radio in your car, AT&T 2G is the only carrier and service available.

AT&T may have different coverage range for 2G than 3G or 4G cell phone service. That would explain why cell phones and smartphone data are awful in your area, but a few packets of data on 2G are able to get through.

We have been told that Nissan is working on a replacement radio and service for the Leaf, but I haven't seen a schedule or price for it.

Bob

Back