Nissan DC Quick Charger Starting at $9,900

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDrive said:
This is great, we have been waiting to get one of these at work. The pad and the ridiculously expensive 3 phase electical is already in, all we need is the unit. Hopefully they are really going to move quick to get these in customers hands. If they actually sell us one I'll let you all know.
The pad is in? What spec did you use for the size, bolt locations, weight loading and conduit locations? They're trying to move quick but they are getting tripped up with all the work, requirements and approvals to get the product to market. They're also releasing it without all of the features that will be needed for some sites and offering those features as field upgrades.

Your workplace is going to set up as a non-networked free charger? Or their willing to install it now and run it for free until the field upgrades are available?

I expect they'll be a fair backlog of orders, so we'll see how fast and in what priority they come out. Wait - didn't I do this before - Oh yeah! When I ordered the LEAF! Early Adopters means we are also the Early Waiters!

GaslessInSeattle said:
I followed most of the steps to requesting a quote and toward the end there is what appears to be a DIY option:

"Final Commissioning Only

Includes the commissioning of the charging unit only. Customer will handle all construction and electrical contracting needs."

If this is true, things could get really interesting! While private property with 3 phase may be rare, there may be a few folks in key places willing to host.
I've run the idea past, 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' . . . . and she'd go for it. Our residential main service panel is already hearty enough to handle it, because we did a serious upgrade in 2009.

hill said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
I followed most of the steps to requesting a quote and toward the end there is what appears to be a DIY option:

"Final Commissioning Only

Includes the commissioning of the charging unit only. Customer will handle all construction and electrical contracting needs."

If this is true, things could get really interesting! While private property with 3 phase may be rare, there may be a few folks in key places willing to host.
I've run the idea past, 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' . . . . and she'd go for it. Our residential main service panel is already hearty enough to handle it, because we did a serious upgrade in 2009.
What type of service do you have at your residence? 480V 3 phase 100A ?? You can run some QC's at lower power off of single phase. Please post what your utility service is - Volts, Amps, number of phases.

ElectricVehicle said:
hill said:
What type of service do you have at your residence? 480V 3 phase 100A ?? You can run some QC's at lower power off of single phase. Please post what your utility service is - Volts, Amps, number of phases.
We've run commercial 3 phase machining equipment out of our residential garage in the past. After selling off the mill & lathe, we kept our 10hp phase converter. We made our own, since (as mentioned) 3 phase isn't native to residential neighborhoods. Anyway, our service (225 main breaker) still has room for a 50amp breaker/appliance ... which would be just fine for a 20kW or less QC. We're not too far off the beaten path (south OC near 5 & 405) either ... so if we were to actually acquire a QC . . . . would it bug our neighbors . . .

ElectricVehicle said:
It's here! Nissan DC Quick Charger. Starting at $9,900 !!
Nissan has launched the website for their low cost 50 kW DC Quick Charger!
More information to come!

http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
highlight.png
In France, Renault Zoe will need only a AC Quick Charger, because the Zoe's engine will convert AC current into DC current.
So, the price will be around $3,000 :p

Here's some initial specs on the unit. Weight, size, etc. Doesn't have the detailed information needed for installation, like bolt patterns to mount the charger on the concrete pad, etc. People are being contacted to order now...
Nissan QC specs 201204 pq1 small.png
Nissan QC specs 201204 pq2 small.png

Since 49 kW is power into the beast with a 90+% efficiency, the peak power for charging the car is in the 44 kW (90% efficiency) to 48 kW (98% efficiency) range. Most likely 46 kW (94% eff) or 47 kW (96% eff).

Looks like 480V 3 phase power only. So if you have a 208V supply, you could install a 60 kVA 208V to 480V 3 phase step up transformer.

Update on the one we plan to install at work. We hope to have it installed by the years end after they start shipping the units with networking ready to plug and play. Can't hardly wait. Progress sure takes time.

AC and $3k, I would buy one for my house at that price..

navidad said:
ElectricVehicle said:
It's here! Nissan DC Quick Charger. Starting at $9,900 !!
Nissan has launched the website for their low cost 50 kW DC Quick Charger!
More information to come!

http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
highlight.png
In France, Renault Zoe will need only a AC Quick Charger, because the Zoe's engine will convert AC current into DC current.
So, the price will be around $3,000 :p

I would be very happy to be your neighbor! :D

hill said:
ElectricVehicle said:
hill said:
We've run commercial 3 phase machining equipment out of our residential garage in the past. After selling off the mill & lathe, we kept our 10hp phase converter. We made our own, since (as mentioned) 3 phase isn't native to residential neighborhoods. Anyway, our service (225 main breaker) still has room for a 50amp breaker/appliance ... which would be just fine for a 20kW or less QC. We're not too far off the beaten path (south OC near 5 & 405) either ... so if we were to actually acquire a QC . . . . would it bug our neighbors . . .

hill said:
ElectricVehicle said:
hill said:
Look at the Andromeda power unit, $25,000. It can run off of single phase at a reduced output of up to 25 kW. http://www.andromedapower.com/Orca_Mobile.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For people looking at the 43 kW AC option, remember that the charger is in the vehicle. The 43 kW on board charger likely adds about $6,000+ to the cost of the vehicle. I don't have exact numbers, but using Tesla's $1500 for the second 10 kW charger in the Model S, which is quite a reasonable price, extrapolates to over $6,000 at 43 kW. So the off board 43 KW AC charging station may only cost $3,000, but there's an additional $6,000 cost in the vehicle to support 43 kW AC charging, making the total one charging station ($3,000) plus one vehicle cost (43 kW on board charger $6,000+) for 43 kW AC charging a grand total of $9,000+.

Both of these are really off-topic for this thread. I suggest the conversation be continued in a more appropriate thread, say:
I need an under 20KW DC ChaDeMo Quick Charger
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the $9900 version QC is only for indoor use. And, AeroEnvironment says it will cost more than that by the time they add shipping etc. Still not available to order yet.

GotMyleaf said:
Reddy said:
Has there been any movement/delivery of these $10k DCQC's or are they still vaporware? I see on another thread a picture that looks similar:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9904&start=30#p226806

Reddy

Aerovironment has some of the outdoor, $15k chargers in stock. They held a demo at Fontana Nissan on Sept. 1, 2012. So they are available and work great.

IMG_20120901_092734.jpg

there is a frontal view of the Fontana charger and it appears to be a Nissan charger, not aero

DaveinOlyWA said:
GotMyleaf said:
Reddy said:
Has there been any movement/delivery of these $10k DCQC's or are they still vaporware? I see on another thread a picture that looks similar:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9904&start=30#p226806

Reddy

Aerovironment has some of the outdoor, $15k chargers in stock. They held a demo at Fontana Nissan on Sept. 1, 2012. So they are available and work great.

IMG_20120901_092702.jpg

there is a frontal view of the Fontana charger and it appears to be a Nissan charger, not aero

Aerovironment is distributing the Nissan QC. The QC is really nice.

Nissan is the manufacturer, they aren't set up to retail the units. Aerovironment is the distributor that will be stocking and selling the Nissan QC units...

Back