Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcochris said:
FYI, I've determined that the maximum resistance needed to maintain the normal flash rate when replacing an incandescent with an LED is 16 ohms. 15 Ohms is a standard resistor value, so that works out well. I tried this on one of the front turn signal flashers.
I installed the 15 ohm load resistors on the front flashers using the 3157-A45-T LED bulb from superbrightleds.com

The flashers worked great (no fast blink) while the car was on but not in drive mode (press the start button twice with foot OFF brake). But when I switched to drive mode (press the start button once with foot ON brake), the flashers go into flash blink mode when active. Huh?

The next day, with no changes, the flashers are working fine in drive and no drive mode. Hmmm. I can only guess that 15 ohms load is too close to the burned-out bulb detection limit. Will post back if they go into fast blink again.

Attachments

• Result_close.jpg
    Result_close.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 259
mcochris said:
mcochris said:
FYI, I've determined that the maximum resistance needed to maintain the normal flash rate when replacing an incandescent with an LED is 16 ohms. 15 Ohms is a standard resistor value, so that works out well. I tried this on one of the front turn signal flashers.
I installed the 15 ohm load resistors on the front flashers using the 3157-A45-T LED bulb from superbrightleds.com

The flashers worked great (no fast blink) while the car was on but not in drive mode (press the start button twice with foot OFF brake). But when I switched to drive mode (press the start button once with foot ON brake), the flashers go into flash blink mode when active. Huh?

The next day, with no changes, the flashers are working fine in drive and no drive mode. Hmmm. I can only guess that 15 ohms load is too close to the burned-out bulb detection limit. Will post back if they go into fast blink again.

After more testing 15 ohms is too flaky. 13 ohms is working fine.

I went with v-leds parts (EDITED):

Map lights: 194_4_HP_W_5K (0.7 watt and similar brightness to stock W8W)

Dome and Cargo lights: 3136_3HP_W_5K (1.5 watt and similar to stock brightness Dome, brighter than stock Cargo)

License Plate: 194_HP_W_5K (0.7 watt and noticeably brighter than stock W5W)

I tried the 194_4_RB_W_5K in the map lights too - they were too bright at night.

I'm glad I made the change to LED on the interior lights. No more dull orange incandescent glow. Now they are crisp like daylight.

I replaced the dome and rear cargo lights with BLUE LEDs (to match my car color); I liked that so much I replaced the rear license plates lights with something similar (from a different manufacturer). It all looks very cool :D

I bought all this stuff off of eBay (spent <$20 total). PM me if you want the exact seller; there are several who sell the same type LED package (with adaptors, etc.)

DeaneG said:
I went with v-leds parts (EDITED):

Map lights: 194_4_HP_W_5K (0.7 watt and similar brightness to stock W8W)

Dome and Cargo lights: 3136_3HP_W_5K (1.5 watt and similar to stock brightness Dome, brighter than stock Cargo)

License Plate: 194_HP_W_5K (0.7 watt and noticeably brighter than stock W5W)

I tried the 194_4_RB_W_5K in the map lights too - they were too bright at night.

I'm glad I made the change to LED on the interior lights. No more dull orange incandescent glow. Now they are crisp like daylight.

Dean,

Do the LED's you used for the map, dome, and cargo lights dim and brighten when you close/open the doors? I have been planning to change to LED interior lights on both my Leaf and Grand Cherokee, but I like the dimming and want to make sure I buy compatible LEDs.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
...Do the LED's you used for the map, dome, and cargo lights dim and brighten when you close/open the doors?...
Unfortunately not - they come on and off quickly and are not as soothing as the smooth-dimming orange glow from the stock incandescents. I do miss the gradual dimming, but prefer the look of the white light.

Interesting. I forget now what I used for the map light LED replacements, but they dim very nicely.

DeaneG said:
GerryAZ said:
...Do the LED's you used for the map, dome, and cargo lights dim and brighten when you close/open the doors?...
Unfortunately not - they come on and off quickly and are not as soothing as the smooth-dimming orange glow from the stock incandescents. I do miss the gradual dimming, but prefer the look of the white light.

Mine do too!!
TomT said:
Interesting. I forget now what I used for the map light LED replacements, but they dim very nicely.

DeaneG said:
GerryAZ said:

TomT said:
Interesting. I forget now what I used for the map light LED replacements, but they dim very nicely...
I think the ones I bought from vleds have built-in buck converters (dc-dc converter used for led current regulation), rather than using a simple resistor to drop voltage. The buck converter gives constant brightness as input voltage is reduced, until the converter drops out at some point and the led turns off. It helps the assembly run cooler too, as conversion efficiency is probably in the 90% range. But it means no nice dimming unless the led assembly was designed to be dimmable.

I'm using cheap ones out of China and they work great.
DeaneG said:
TomT said:
Interesting. I forget now what I used for the map light LED replacements, but they dim very nicely...
I think the ones I bought from vleds have built-in buck converters (dc-dc converter used for led current regulation), rather than using a simple resistor to drop voltage. The buck converter gives constant brightness as input voltage is reduced, until the converter drops out at some point and the led turns off. It helps the assembly run cooler too, as conversion efficiency is probably in the 90% range. But it means no nice dimming unless the led assembly was designed to be dimmable.

DeaneG said:
TomT said:
These are great for ICE vehicles where the "12V" voltage varies greatly. The Leaf, on the other hand, keeps the voltage in a narrow range so the cheaper, non-regulated LEDs actually work nicer.

Just changed the small "position" bulbs. Looks much nicer now!

BEFORE
20120911211011.jpg

AFTER
20120911212416.jpg

From here:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003ZA66DM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I used these lamps in the parking light sockets (position lights?) and wired them to the BCM to power up when the car is turned on. Makes great OEM look DRLs.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Sylvania-12-8-Volt-18-Watts-Silverstar-high-performance-miniature-lamp/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=232748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I changed out mine too but the problem is that they are not really bright enough to be effective daylight DRLs... That is why I went with much brighter external ones. Plus, I liked that look much better.

Leafboy said:
I used these lamps in the parking light sockets (position lights?) and wired them to the BCM to power up when the car is turned on. Makes great OEM look DRLs.

Mine are very bright! Did you use the 18w 921 lamps? The first time I did them I used LEDs, but the heat of the headlamp kept burning them up.
TomT said:
I changed out mine too but the problem is that they are not really bright enough to be effective daylight DRLs... That is why I went with much brighter external ones.

Leafboy said:

Some differences I've found with my 2013 SV, the "parking lights" (what even the manual says are there), aren't. I turn on the headlights/parking lights and the turn signal bulbs turn on. Also, there are no body side turn signals (at least not on my SV).

Back