Nissan to announce official Battery Replacement Program soon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Why announce that you're going to make an announcement?

Go back to the original source. It was in response to a facebook post on the LEAF site asking for an update. As it turns out there have been probably a half a dozen posts asking that same question in recent months but this is the first one the LEAF social media people actually responded to - so guessing this is the first time that they knew there would be something to announce.

Or better yet -- Nissan wants to clear the warehouses of the old batteries so it can switch all 2015s to lizards.

So, in about 3 years we'll be where we'd started - 3 years ago. Like in that Tom Cruise sci-fi now playing... (Edge of Tomorrow - dumb title, good movie).

Wennfred said:
All I got from that was "Stay tuned" & "Keep Waiting"

Fred

Given how long it takes Nissan to say anything, I suppose it's fitting that they need 2 weeks to just clear their throat.

"Ahem………………………………………………………………….
..……………………………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………………
………………………………………………………………………
……………………………………………………………………………
………………………………………………………………………………
………………………………………………………………………………" :lol:

ILETRIC said:
Or better yet -- Nissan wants to clear the warehouses of the old batteries so it can switch all 2015s to lizards.
Personally, I find that unlikely. These batteries do not have a long shelf life and many LEAF owners are now equipped with meters to read the capacity of the battery they purchased. I, for one, would return a battery if it appeared they had sold me a degraded or rejected unit.

They are more likely to do those types of things with warranty repairs, since they do not have the obligation to deliver a "new" battery. But even there, I don't think we have evidence that is going on.

smkettner said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Why announce that you're going to make an announcement?
Subtle way to say.... stop filling our page with battery requests.

In fairness, I and others have been "encouraging" them to say anything at all, anywhere (though I wish here too), specifically because it's been so long and people were rightly wondering if this was even still on the table with Nissan. So I wouldn't read too much into ulterior motives on the fb comment.

Same thing on my timing estimate. I know where things generally stand; as I've mentioned elsewhere, Nissan has involved the LAB for feedback a few times. All signs suggest an announcement this month. But I don't have a specific date so was intentionally broad on the window.

evnow said:
Funny how most comments are about "when" rather than the more important "what".

I am all about SYB and killing that, at least for us owners, as you all know.
how can there be equity in offering a $100 lease program to owners and those who lease?

what is the value that I get for returning my somewhat degraded but still recyclable and still useable battery?
how is it possible to NOT sell the most important part in a car as a replacement part?

never again, Nissan; not for me, unless you make this right.
and I LOVE MY LEAF and dont regret buying it.............................yet.

thankyouOB said:
I am all about SYB and killing that, at least for us owners, as you all know.
how can there be equity in offering a $100 lease program to owners and those who lease?
Problem is - you don't put your comments inside Rant on / Rant off markers ;)

thankyouOB said:
what is the value that I get for returning my somewhat degraded but still recyclable and still useable battery?
how is it possible to NOT sell the most important part in a car as a replacement part?
^^this, and not being given a price for purchase of a new battery, are the irksome points for me.

My 2011 Leaf still works for my short trip town, probably for another 10-15 yrs. However, I'm still hoping for a 2x capacity replacement that retro-fits in the same space in maybe 5-10 yrs. I won't hold my breath, but I can still hope. Whether I have to "buy" the replacement or "lease" for $100/mo, well, that's still a long way in the future (at which point, $100 will be worth less, to paraphrase Warren Buffett).

evnow said:
Funny how most comments are about "when" rather than the more important "what".

I'm leasing, so this is only hypothetical for now, but someday I hope to buy a 150 mile range eNV100 or small truck and it'll matter to me.

So, what would be a good battery replacement strategy? If the warranty replaces it for free after it gets to what, 8 bars within 5 years, IIRC, then I would only replace it sooner if I want to maintain , let's say, 10 bars or more. Or, if I'm beyond 5 years, whenever I wànt?

Will the value of the used pack be taken off the price of the new one? Always was when I got a new 12v for the ICE the old days. (Been a long time since I've bought a 12v.)

Will there be a minimum amount of degredation imposed before exchange is allowed, say 3 bars or whatever, or could you exchange a pack every year, or when you lose 1 bar? At what point does it just become a battery swap program, once a month? Maybe six months?

Say a new pack is $10k, how much would a used 10 bar pack be worth in trade do you think?

What is Nissan going to say about the Seattle battery vs the new Lizard battery ?

What are they going to say about average life span of the new Lizard battery ?

The old statement said 80% after 5 years and 70% remaining after 10 years.

KJD said:
What is Nissan going to say about the Seattle battery vs the new Lizard battery ?

What are they going to say about average life span of the new Lizard battery ?

The old statement said 80% after 5 years and 70% remaining after 10 years.

One wonders how much the lizard battery will depend upon revised chemistry or instead on active cooling/heating.

Did you guys see the Transport Evolved pictures of the EV-200 cutaway battery showing a fan and A/C unit inside the pack?

http://transportevolved.com/2014/06/12/nissan-e-nv200-show-change-policy-battery-heating-cooling/

Its quite possible that with active cooling the LEAF maybe able to show comparable battery life independent of climatic differences between regions. So they maybe able to stick to their 80%/5yrs and 70%/10Yrs format globally even if the final numbers edge up or down a little.

Does this apply to Europe ?

As far as I remember a Nissan will only repair and not replace to 70% ?

They will only replace a battery in Europe that's rented afaik but at 70% this doesn't make the car very practical.

JPWhite said:
One wonders how much the lizard battery will depend upon revised chemistry or instead on active cooling/heating.
Did you guys see the Transport Evolved pictures of the EV-200 cutaway battery showing a fan and A/C unit inside the pack?
http://transportevolved.com/2014/06/12/nissan-e-nv200-show-change-policy-battery-heating-cooling/
Its quite possible that with active cooling the LEAF maybe able to show comparable battery life independent of climatic differences between regions. So they maybe able to stick to their 80%/5yrs and 70%/10Yrs format globally even if the final numbers edge up or down a little.
Thanks for posting that link, I had totally missed that article. Looks like I need to read transport evolved a little more often.

It would appear that the new active cooling system is now part of the NV200 this year and if all goes well it will be part of LEAF 2.0 in 2016. Is that your take on this ?

KJD said:
JPWhite said:
Thanks for posting that link, I had totally missed that article. Looks like I need to read transport evolved a little more often.

It would appear that the new active cooling system is now part of the NV200 this year and if all goes well it will be part of LEAF 2.0 in 2016. Is that your take on this ?

Yep.

They won't announce it now for the LEAF, it would stifle sales in the interim, especially in key US markets many of which are in warm/hot climate areas (ie LA, Atlanta, Dallas). I only hope they build in retrofit capability in 2015 models and on. I doubt a retrofit would be cost effective for 2014 models and prior models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back