Nissan Won't Honor Capacity Warranty, Says I Am 4 Days Late. 8 Bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jedlacks said:
I know I don't live in lollipop land, but hey, if you say that the manufacturer cannot void a warranty because of a 1970s act in Congress, then you must be right. Because back then and now nobody understood the laws. :cool:

No idea what that even means? Are you suggesting that the law no longer applies because it's too old? "Lollipop land"? What? :?

Nubo said:
Jedlacks said:
I know I don't live in lollipop land, but hey, if you say that the manufacturer cannot void a warranty because of a 1970s act in Congress, then you must be right. Because back then and now nobody understood the laws. :cool:

No idea what that even means? Are you suggesting that the law no longer applies because it's too old? "Lollipop land"? What? :?

Go and read the law for yourself, and not just take it at face value, or what you picked up in passing on blogs. Consumers can do things to void warranties, and it is up to the manufacturers to say you did, and you to PROVE you didn't. Get it?

I really would go there and cut and paste, but right now I just want to unsubscribe from the thread. Yes, I am THAT GUY that read the law when Mercedes did me over with my AMG and I had to pay more than what a Leaf battery costs.

Finally, do you think that with the lobbying might of the auto-industry, they would sit back and not have pro-business Republicans change that law already? Seriously? No... Seriously?? I know this is cyberspace, but you really need to get real.

The key word to understand is ARBITRARILY. Now Just read the law for yourself, again, if you actually did already.

(I wish there was an unsubscribe button)

Jedlacks said:
Nubo said:
Jedlacks said:

Go and read the law for yourself, and not just take it at face value, or what you picked up in passing on blogs. Consumers can do things to void warranties, and it is up to the manufacturers to say you did, and you to PROVE you didn't. Get it?

I really would go there and cut and paste, but right now I just want to unsubscribe from the thread. Yes, I am THAT GUY that read the law when Mercedes did me over with my AMG and I had to pay more than what a Leaf battery costs.

Finally, do you think that with the lobbying might of the auto-industry, they would sit back and not have pro-business Republicans change that law already? Seriously? No... Seriously?? I know this is cyberspace, but you really need to get real.

The key word to understand is ARBITRARILY. Now Just read the law for yourself, again, if you actually did already.

(I wish there was an unsubscribe button)

If you exhibited the same attitude and logic in arbitration that you have here, I'm not surprised you lost.

I have had a similar problem and as a result will not buy another nissan or related car.

I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf - loved it until I needed to replace the battery due to capacity loss. I went one year ago, and it was at 9 bars. So a year later, I scheduled an appointment with the dealer where I purchased the car. Without my knowledge the location of the dealership changed, so I arrived to a closed dealership. With someone else caring for my newborn at home, I did not have time to drive to the new dealership location and had to reschedule one week later (did not know my warranty expired in June). Upon arrival to my appointment the dealership informed me that the warranty was 4 days passed and that they couldn't replace my battery. My range is so bad that I cannot safely drive within the city of Los Angeles w/o needing to charge - let alone make it to a children's hospital if my newborn or 2.5 year old needed to go. Dealership suggested I call corporate, as there was a customer who was 1 day passed her warranty and they approved the replacement of her battery. I called corporate - explained my situation to them. Tiffany reviewed my case. Despite all of this, she denied my coverage of the battery. Saying that the warranty is "black and white." She then implied it was my fault that I had not confirmed the location of the dealership and that it it is my responsibility to be an "educated" leaf owner. Pretty offensive. I had be receiving emails from the dealership up until 3 months ago, and did not receive an email saying they were closing. Nor did Nissan send any information to me about the result of the class action lawsuit and new capacity warranty. So in the end, I would suggest getting a Volt, Tesla, Prius or another EV vehicle. I am sad to say this as I loved my leaf. But the customer service and communication by Nissan is so awful that I would not want to do business with them again. Overall I feel like Nissan is just trying to save money over saving a loyal customer.

sub3marathonman said:
TomT said:
So, an acquaintance has a 2012 that just lost its 4th bar at 60, 287 miles... Nissan denied the claim even though there is definitive proof and evidence that the odometer on the Leaf is fast and she was actually well within the mileage limit... They claim that displayed mileage is what counts and that actual mileage is irrelevant...

I'm so glad that I am off the Nissan bus!

This is something I'd be very interested in, as I agree that 60,287 odometer indicated miles is most likely less than 60,000 actual miles, as it would require an odometer accuracy greater than 0.5%.

I'm not a lawyer, but if somebody were to pursue this I would think they'd have to bring their LEAF somewhere to have the odometer accuracy officially certified.

tire wear ALONE will account for a 2% error

Jeffoff said:
A few days later Nissan and BBB on their own, decided that Nissan cant be taken to Arbitration on a battery issue that already has been settled! I disagreed with BBB, but did not want to now fight BBB and Nissan so I accepted the 50% settlement, an I will sue them for the rest. then I will bad mouth this chicken Sh** company for the rest of my life. I hate them for being so dishonest and unfair. If I could convince 1 person per week to not buy a Nissan, I will be happy.

Jeff,

BBB had no obligation to even hear your complaint because as per their policy you did not file warranty claim within the warranty period.

Nissan was generous in offering to comp 1/2 of the cost. YOU WON!!!.

You need to move on and put this behind you. Hopefully this will make you more attentive to details.

Yesterday my wife pulled out the $25 VISA gift card the dealer gave us when we test drove our Leaf back in November. She went to activate it and Guess what? It expired on 5/2016. SHE SCREWED UP . Sure she was annoyed but she was annoyed at herself, not Nissan Dealership.

phippy said:
I have had a similar problem and as a result will not buy another nissan or related car.

I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf - loved it until I needed to replace the battery due to capacity loss. I went one year ago, and it was at 9 bars. So a year later, I scheduled an appointment with the dealer where I purchased the car. Without my knowledge the location of the dealership changed, so I arrived to a closed dealership. With someone else caring for my newborn at home, I did not have time to drive to the new dealership location and had to reschedule one week later (did not know my warranty expired in June). Upon arrival to my appointment the dealership informed me that the warranty was 4 days passed and that they couldn't replace my battery. My range is so bad that I cannot safely drive within the city of Los Angeles w/o needing to charge - let alone make it to a children's hospital if my newborn or 2.5 year old needed to go. Dealership suggested I call corporate, as there was a customer who was 1 day passed her warranty and they approved the replacement of her battery. I called corporate - explained my situation to them. Tiffany reviewed my case. Despite all of this, she denied my coverage of the battery. Saying that the warranty is "black and white." She then implied it was my fault that I had not confirmed the location of the dealership and that it it is my responsibility to be an "educated" leaf owner. Pretty offensive. I had be receiving emails from the dealership up until 3 months ago, and did not receive an email saying they were closing. Nor did Nissan send any information to me about the result of the class action lawsuit and new capacity warranty. So in the end, I would suggest getting a Volt, Tesla, Prius or another EV vehicle. I am sad to say this as I loved my leaf. But the customer service and communication by Nissan is so awful that I would not want to do business with them again. Overall I feel like Nissan is just trying to save money over saving a loyal customer.

all these emails didn't have the new address? that is more than a bit strange. Car dealerships go thru GREAT lengths to advise of ANY change including nonsensical things like ownership, name (why bother if you have not moved, right?) etc... I guess I can understand the name change if they are stuck in the middle of a large auto mall or something but my former employer who is across the street from the auto mall basically them and BMW set apart spent untold amounts of dollars and SEVERAL months advising of the name change.

So a relocation? hard to believe it was that much of a secret

One of the (few) nice things about California... Gift cards, rebate cards, and the like never expire and they can't deduct fees from them...

Flyct said:
Yesterday my wife pulled out the $25 VISA gift card the dealer gave us when we test drove our Leaf back in November. She went to activate it and Guess what? It expired on 5/2016.

TomT said:
One of the nice things about California... Gift cards and the like never expire and they can't deduct fees from them...

Flyct said:
Yesterday my wife pulled out the $25 VISA gift card the dealer gave us when we test drove our Leaf back in November. She went to activate it and Guess what? It expired on 5/2016.

+1. can't think of the last time I saw a gift card with an expiration date on it?

DaveinOlyWA said:
TomT said:
One of the nice things about California... Gift cards and the like never expire and they can't deduct fees from them...

Flyct said:

+1. can't think of the last time I saw a gift card with an expiration date on it?

When a gift card is purchased (as in, someone bought it and gave it to you as a gift), it generally doesn't/often can't (like in California) have an expiration date.

When a gift card is given away as a promo, I've seen many that expire.

My battery dropped to 8 bars less than 3 weeks after the 5 year limit.
I also dealt with Tiffany and it sounds like the same routine, delay for 2 weeks and then deny warranty.

I'm taking the approach of just telling everyone not to buy Nissan.
I figure a nice sign on the back of my car will get the most reads from other drivers thereby denying Nissan potential customers. And more importantly, save others from Nissan's poor designs and customer service.

bsosin said:
I figure a nice sign on the back of my car will get the most reads from other drivers thereby denying Nissan potential customers. And more importantly, save others from Nissan's poor designs and customer service.

I'm guessing if you had a video of yourself driving around with that sign, and Nissan got wind of it... you might get what you want....?

DaveinOlyWA said:
TomT said:

Flyct said:

I got a $50 gift card from Nissan to charge my car on a DCQC network. It expired after 90 days and I got zero value from it.

ampitupco said:
bsosin said:

I'm guessing if you had a video of yourself driving around with that sign, and Nissan got wind of it... you might get what you want....?

I've dealt with Nissan and I've read the posts... yes, I'm hoping that I get what I want. From Nissan, absolutely nothing is expected. At this point it's to hit Nissan in the only place it cares about, profits. It's also to warn others of Nissan's flawed design and to not buy Nissan. Nissan only backs it's products when forced.

As everyone who owns an EV knows, we get asked all the time how the car is. Current customers can be it's greatest sales force or it's fiercest enemy. Nissan has chosen the later. A sign on the car just amplifies my opinion.

Very few people that I talked with in the past 2 1/2 years did anything other than walk away shaking their head NO. THANK YOU GOD NOT ME :!:

Back