NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So am I supposed to wake up in the morning and not have my telematics working? Because right now here on the Big Island it is working fine.

downeykp said:
So am I supposed to wake up in the morning and not have my telematics working? Because right now here on the Big Island it is working fine.
Yeah. I wonder about AT&T's actual timeline for shutdown. Is it that everything goes dead on 1/1/17 or is it that they no longer guarantee the service will be working after 12/31/16 and stuff will be taken down over an unknown period of time?

I'm ok w/trying to see how well I cope w/o the Nissan Connect working. I'll probably pay for the upgrade but am waiting so that dealers and Nissan corporate are more familiar w/the process and hopefully get the kinks worked out. I'd rather not have to visit the dealer multiple times, screw around w/stuff, make multiple calls, be frustrated by stuff not working afterward, etc.

Mine went dark on the 31st, as noted above. I would be willing to pay the $199 even though I'll be turning the car in, but I doubt any local dealers could do it quickly or competently, much less both.

My Nissan connect for my 2011 Leaf stopped working for a while on Saturday, Dec 31. I got an error message that indicated service could not be provided. Thought it was AT&T turning off at first.

I decided to wait and try again today early Sunday, Jan 1. Similar message, but it suggested logging out and logging back in. This time I tried that and things started working again. I think the problem earlier was a Nissan Server glitch.

I think each area will have a different timeline for when the AT&T 2G will actually go down.

I had my upgrade done on Thursday 29th too. Was told to wait 24 hours.

Still unable to connect, message from phone app stated I need to register from navigation screen.

I went to the car,

entered MENU;

SETTINGS;

CARWINGS;

SIGN IN (my login and password were already filled in)
I logged in and the BINGO!

Still working here in Las Vegas, Nevada as well. Interesting point, though: my TCU serial starts with 2012-99, which is not mentioned in the bulletin as needing replacement. Whether it does or not, time shall tell.

I had ordered the replacement from my dealer, but I'm going to hold off until (if?) it stops working.

cwerdna said:
For me, status updates via their iOS app still works. I just did one and it succeeded at about 2 hours away from 1/1/17 for me.
Status updates via the NissanConnect iOS app still work for me on 1/1/17 5:41 pm Pacific time w/the old hardware on my '13 SV.

jdcbomb said:
jdcbomb said:
2013 SL. TCU upgrade completed 2016.12.28 evening time. Waited almost 72 hrs and attempted to sign-in from the vehicle using the NissanConnect EV PIN / PW from the Nissan Owner's Portal (not the login info...but in "Edit Vehicle" section).

Vehicle unable to connect. Tried 4 times and keeps failing. Anything I am doing wrong? Signal strength showing 2 bars inside vehicle.

Update: Service team at dealer informed me there is some kind of technical issue / outage affecting all "new" "just registered" TCU units attempting to communicate with the server. Next update not until Monday.

Update: When attempting to login in CarWings...the screen continues to show "unable to connect" message. My TCU was replaced about 5 days ago, so it should have been registered by now. Anyone else with very recent (last week) upgrades not able to connect?

jdcbomb said:
Update: Service team at dealer informed me there is some kind of technical issue / outage affecting all "new" "just registered" TCU units attempting to communicate with the server. Next update not until Monday.

Update: When attempting to login in CarWings...the screen continues to show "unable to connect" message. My TCU was replaced about 5 days ago, so it should have been registered by now. Anyone else with very recent (last week) upgrades not able to connect?

Today is a holiday for most corporate types (like service providers), so I wouldn't expect any updates to be made until tomorrow (Tuesday). If there's a lot of folks, you were probably a victim of "bad timing" with folks being out last week (especially Friday) as well.

jdcbomb said:
jdcbomb said:
jdcbomb said:
2013 SL. TCU upgrade completed 2016.12.28 evening time. Waited almost 72 hrs and attempted to sign-in from the vehicle using the NissanConnect EV PIN / PW from the Nissan Owner's Portal (not the login info...but in "Edit Vehicle" section).

Vehicle unable to connect. Tried 4 times and keeps failing. Anything I am doing wrong? Signal strength showing 2 bars inside vehicle.

Updated Saturday morning. Can't connect. Website claims server unavailable. Hopefully this week it will all get ironed out. Dealer mentioned that it might take a few days.

NissanConnect EV stopped working here sometime around Christmas. OTOH, I was quick charging in Frederick, MD, yesterday and it worked fine there.

2G still working in Albany OR. Used the phone app yesterday (Jan 2, 2017) at home.

Tried it in Eugene, OR, the week before on Dec 28th, 2016 and it did NOT connect.

Are there maps that would show 2G networks still operational?

Nothing but great news here - New TCU replacement part arrived in 3 days, installed today PM in about one hour, activated and registered correctly by Dealer, and worked perfectly out of the shop :D

Tested both on cell phone app and wifi web access for all aspects of functionality and performed smoothly. BTW, our G2 was still functioning in Champaign, IL up to the point when I took the Leaf (SV 13) in today around 3 PM. I highly recommend Illini Nissan in Champaign, IL.

Wow - done and done right first shot!

UPDATE: (see my post history for the full saga)

Summary to date was that I had the 3g upgrade about two weeks ago. After a few days, my situation was that my car could "call home" and authenticate my user ID, but that I could not trigger any access remotely (via desktop or iOS).

Given that the car authenticated from the dashboard, I took a chance and deleted my car (via the desktop Carwings access) and added it as a "used' car, using my same VIN. It gave me a new Carwings PIN and password to enter into my dashboard. And that worked.

I now have remote access restored. I did lose my driving history, but that's nothing compared to getting remote heater starting now that winter has set in.

I can't say I recommend this course of action, but if someone is similarly stuck and wants to take the chance, I thought everyone should know.

Back