NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped my 2013 at dealer this morning, they have never done one, said it was a software upgrade not harware to get it working, ill post my results

Called local Nissan Dealer (Action Nissan) in Nashville and had them pre-order the part for my 2011 (534th Leaf made) in late Dec although I had to educate each person I spoke with as they did not have a clue to what I was talking about. Part arrived on Jan 9th so they installed on the 9th. Did not work after install so tech said wait 48 hours. After 48 hours still not working and called Nissan Leaf support. Nissan Leaf Support said they cannot see on there side so must be bad install/part. Returned to dealer on 12th and they say new TCU is fried/broken and will need to be replaced. There is an info screen in Carwings that should have numbers in each field (first field is TCU number) and mine only had "****" in the 4 fields which they say was the problem. Based on experience so far, this is going to take a bunch of my time before it gets fixed right. Good news is dealer is disorganized so they called it warranty and did not charge the $199 co-pay so I can't complain too loudly yet. Just think we are in the same city as Nissan USA corporate headquarters and still all messed up.

Greetings,

I have a 2013 Leaf SL (I think, the upper trim). I got a notice in the mail about this 'upgrade' needed on my car since 2g service was going away. For a scant $199 I can get my car back online with the EV App.

My question is this: has anyone just purchased the TCU module and done the upgrade yourself? If so do you have the part number, and cost? I would like to do this, but paying $199 plus tax to have a tech replace a modem in my car seems overpriced. I can't imagine the part costing more than $80. And I bet it is easily accessible. Does anyone know where the TCU is located in the car?

Again, I can't imagine it is that expensive and difficult to DIY.

Thanks!

Matt|ttaM

tj928 said:
Dropped my 2013 at dealer this morning, they have never done one, said it was a software upgrade not harware to get it working, ill post my results

Good luck with that. If they think that replacing a radio is a software change then I don't anticipate good results.

As for myself, I had the upgrade done yesterday on my 2015 SV. Just asterisks on the info screen and unable to connect to the Nissan servers. Called the hotline last night and they said to wait 24 hours. I'm probably going to stop by the dealer after work to let them know it's not working for me.

magico13 said:
tj928 said:

Good luck with that. If they think that replacing a radio is a software change then I don't anticipate good results.

It is probably both.

The radio needs to be replaced. The software that talks to the radio needs to change, unless it was originally written to handle both radios. Which I doubt.

magico13 said:
tj928 said:

As for myself, I had the upgrade done yesterday on my 2015 SV. Just asterisks on the info screen and unable to connect to the Nissan servers. Called the hotline last night and they said to wait 24 hours. I'm probably going to stop by the dealer after work to let them know it's not working for me.

I got mine done yesterday as a negotiated part of the car purchase, but it is still not working. I was told by Nissan EVConnect Support folks that the most critical piece to ensure the dealer was able to do their part was to make sure there was data in all fields on the Carwings Unit ID Information screen (with the exception of Phone No.). Mine has that but I'm still unable to logon.

I can share my recent experience having the dealer replace my TCU. I have a 2015 Leaf and the TCU replacement was free for me. I needed an annual inspection and called ahead to ask about the TCU. I know we were all notified about the 2G network going away but I didn't pay much attention until early January when I couldn't pre-heat the car remotely. That's what re-alerted me to the issue. Anyway, they said they could switch it out for a new TCU but needed to be sure they had one, so we scheduled the appointment a week out. The service appeared to have gone well but I didn't check the connection until I got the car home after the service. I got nothing on the iOS app and so I went to the car to try to make the connection. It's worth noting that once when attempting the Carwings sign-in in the car, the TCU signal icon appeared but was blacked out. At one point it lit up, but never connected to the system. After a few more attempts, now several hours after getting the car back, I called Nissan and spoke with a person about the TCU change. They asked a lot of questions but ultimately said they needed to initialize the new TCU. That took some time but when they felt they were complete on their end I was asked to try connecting again. This time, no icon was ever visible.... lit or dark with an immediate response each time that the center could not be reached. It was so quick in fact that it seemed clear to me the car was not even able to fire up the TCU. As others have said, I was told to wait up to 48 hours and it would eventually work. The next day when it still didn't connect (yes I did not wait 48 hours) I called again and got another person to help and after trying a few things was told to wait again. When I asked what would happen if in 24 more hours I was still seeing no evidence of the existence of a TCU (no icon), I was informed that I would probably need to go back to the dealer. I was also told that I needed to confirm that the dealer had given Nissan the MI number of both the original and new TCUs so the switch could happen on the network end. So a while later I called and politely complained to the dealer and they asked me to bring the car back the next day. Left the car there in the morning again and picked it up about 6 hours later. I was given an instruction sheet basically showing the menu selections necessary to sign in to Carwings and so I did and thankfully it immediately connected and worked like a charm! I cannot say why it took two tries. Perhaps it was going to work eventually but my impatience and the call to Nissan with the initialization broke something. Perhaps the MI information was never properly shared by my dealer on the first try. I'm glad it works now and I know this is not necessarily an easy thing to switch over. But clearly Nissan has not really nailed down the process on how the dealer and customers should handle this transition. If your dealer says they haven't done many of these, tell them that you've heard their techs need to contact Nissan tech with the MI numbers from both TCUs and before you drive away when you get the car, try to connect to Carwings. It might save you a trip back. Oh and several people in the process mentioned a phone call needed to be made by the dealer to someone not in this country for the switch. I have no idea what that means, but thought I should mention it. (Sounds a little cloak and dagger to me.) Oh and once working again, it behaves exactly as before, maybe connecting a bit faster. Not a lot faster but a little. Wish I could be more helpful.

Tiderfish said:
Greetings,

I have a 2013 Leaf SL (I think, the upper trim). I got a notice in the mail about this 'upgrade' needed on my car since 2g service was going away. For a scant $199 I can get my car back online with the EV App.

My question is this: has anyone just purchased the TCU module and done the upgrade yourself? If so do you have the part number, and cost? I would like to do this, but paying $199 plus tax to have a tech replace a modem in my car seems overpriced. I can't imagine the part costing more than $80. And I bet it is easily accessible. Does anyone know where the TCU is located in the car?

Again, I can't imagine it is that expensive and difficult to DIY.

Thanks!

Matt|ttaM

You could physically swap the TCU, that is not difficult. Depending on the dealer you contact, the price for the modem is between $200 and $300. You would not be able to program the TCU and complete the registration. The process takes about two hours. At $199, the price is very reasonable, when you consider the cost of labor and the modem.

The new TCU needs to be programmed with the vehicles VIN number. The technician also had to make several telephone calls to complete the process. The IMEI (serial) number of the old and new modems has to be provided to remove the 2G modem from the system and replace it with the 3G modem. There is also a call involving the satellite radio that has to be made. The dealer instructions for the process are located in Campaign Bulletin PC449 dated 17 November 2016.

baustin said:
You could physically swap the TCU, that is not difficult. Depending on the dealer you contact, the price for the modem is between $200 and $300. You would not be able to program the TCU and complete the registration. The process takes about two hours. At $199, the price is very reasonable, when you consider the cost of labor and the modem.

The new TCU needs to be programmed with the vehicles VIN number. The technician also had to make several telephone calls to complete the process. The IMEI (serial) number of the old and new modems has to be provided to remove the 2G modem from the system and replace it with the 3G modem. There is also a call involving the satellite radio that has to be made. The dealer instructions for the process are located in Campaign Bulletin PC449 dated 17 November 2016.

I wish THIS ^ ^ ^ could be posted as a sticky for everyone who thinks they are getting "ripped off" by Nissan with the TCU modem upgrade. The $200 basically covers only the labor required (I've seen the 30 page install procedure)...and don't forget the "free" CW/NissanConnect service we continue to receive.

Even though all those stories about replaced TCU not connecting, I figure I'll get it installed since the old ones aren't working any way. Just contacted my local dealer and surprised they already have the hardware in stock, so I scheduled to get it done this Thursday. Will see how it goes.

I just picked up my car 20 mins ago after the TCU upgrade. I was able to sign into Carwings in the parking lot and send commands from the app, update the nav system, etc. I'm pretty happy after hearing other people's drama during the build up to today.

VitaminJ said:
I just picked up my car 20 mins ago after the TCU upgrade. I was able to sign into Carwings in the parking lot and send commands from the app, update the nav system, etc. I'm pretty happy after hearing other people's drama during the build up to today.

Yea, I'm still not able to connect from the app (car works fine). Good that it is working for some people, so there is hope yet!

I have a 2012 Nissan Leaf SL that came with the 2g TCU it worked until a few days into 2017 and then stopped. The new TCU was installed on a FRIDAY and on MONDAY (i had to wait more than 48 hours) the carwings started working again. i can now use NissanConnect EV and start my climate control from my iPhone 7.

Hello all,
I'm a new (1.5 months) 2015 Leaf owner and had my TCU replaced today at Wayzata Nissan in MN. I was not charged anything for this swap since I have a 2015. They did need me to sign the invoice that goes to Nissan...it was around $460 for parts and labor. This shows that even if you have an earlier model year and want this update Nissan is picking up a substantial portion of the cost; Thanks to Nissan for keeping this service going.

Swapping the part is not difficult, it's all the programming involved as others have mentioned. Not a DIY job.

From what I was told today it should work right away. Mine did. My app started working after signing in from the nav Carwings section.

Details of my experience…..
-Carwings stopped working for me 12/23/16. Nice Xmas gift AT&T! Found this forum and thread after the holidays. I was not in a rush to get this replaced since I only had it working a few days before service was shut off.

-Called Wayzata Nissan over two weeks ago. Talked to a service advisor who had no clue on this. I explained that AT&T shut off the 2G network and Nissan had a voluntary campaign for customers to update to 3G. He put me on hold for a few seconds and then quickly had all the info and told me it was free for my 2015. He said he'd order the part in and then they would call me to schedule.

-Waited two weeks and then called the dealer to check part status. Got transferred to 5 or so people, one was a parts dept guy who said that they had the part in stock but I needed to talk to a service advisor to schedule. I got hung up on when he transferred me to them. Called back, receptionist said all the service advisors were busy. Took my name and number and told me one would call me back, no call back 3 hours later and then they were closed.

-Called back next day and just scheduled an appt without talking to a service advisor. Told the lady to reference the campaign PC450 and again explained 2G to 3G. Called back to talk to parts dept (5 were in stock) told him to please put my name on one since I called 2 weeks ago for it. He said he would do so.

-Went in today with my NissanConnect EV PIN and password printed out, service advisor I got knew all about this update. She said they can get those creds but she took my printout anyway. She checked that the part was in stock before letting me go, it was. She called me about 2.5 hours later saying it was done. I asked if I needed to wait before this would start working, service advisor said no, it should work right away.

-Drove home without testing but saw I had a full signal again. Without doing anything on the owners website or in Carwings settings I first tried updating charging stations, worked first try. Tried to connect via the app but no dice. Went into Carwings settings and pressed "send ID and password" and confirmed. That did the trick! As far as I can tell this should work right away unless maybe you're outside normal business hours.

HaraldFairhair said:
Hello all,
I'm a new (1.5 months) 2015 Leaf owner and had my TCU replaced today at Wayzata Nissan in MN. I was not charged anything for this swap since I have a 2015. They did need me to sign the invoice that goes to Nissan...it was around $460 for parts and labor. This shows that even if you have an earlier model year and want this update Nissan is picking up a substantial portion of the cost; Thanks to Nissan for keeping this service going.

-Drove home without testing but saw I had a full signal again. Without doing anything on the owners website or in Carwings settings I first tried updating charging stations, worked first try. Tried to connect via the app but no dice. Went into Carwings settings and pressed "send ID and password" and confirmed. That did the trick! As far as I can tell this should work right away unless maybe you're outside normal business hours.

Good to hear you a good experience, but others need to remember there is a difference between replacing the 2015+ modems and the older modems (we know for sure they are different part numbers). We don't know exactly what the differences are without more detail, but it's possible that the newer models have fewer configuration requirements than the old models (so they tend to work "right out of the box"). For example, my dealer seems to be an "expert" at doing these now, but it still took a couple of days for the hardware/SIM verification to propagate through the network (I had no other issues).

LECTRFY said:
Oak: I have the same problem as you. Finally got the telematics unit working after a week at the Nissan Dealer. Today I had to delete my vehicle info in NissanConnect EV (web app) and ADD a new vehicle with the same VIN information. It regenerated a new CARWINGS userid and password which I had to enter into the unit on the car...again. Once that was done, I tried to access the car from the web app with no luck. Car now is able to download new charging stations (communicate out), but we can't get either of our web app or mobile (Android) app to work (communicate in). Nissan dealer will hold on to the car for a 4th day and call the Nissan help desk for us. (Our Nissan dealer has really been great about all of this...they are as stumped as we are as to what is going on. They have only had 2 other problems and they were easy fixes) :evil:
What I think I've determined is that Nissan doesn't have a f$%&ing clue about anything :!: :!: :!:

Called again today and talked to the person who created my ticket and they told me the Nissan Level 2 Analyst sent my issue to XM satellite radio.....HUH :?: :?: :?: When I asked why that was, he told me he didn't know and it didn't have any further information in their system about why it was sent there...OH GOODIE!! :eek: A $199 and 10 days down the drain... :x

DNAinaGoodWay said:
gethin said:
My TCUID starts with 2012-991xxxx etc

So does this mean that it's 3G ready?

My USA Leaf carwings has stopped working here in Canada since Jan.

No, you have a 2G unit.

Well that sucks. Wonder if I have to cross the border into Bellingham to get my TCU updated since it's a US car.... I'll call my local dealer tomorrow.

Back