NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stanton said:
Good to hear you a good experience, but others need to remember there is a difference between replacing the 2015+ modems and the older modems (we know for sure they are different part numbers). We don't know exactly what the differences are without more detail, but it's possible that the newer models have fewer configuration requirements than the old models (so they tend to work "right out of the box"). For example, my dealer seems to be an "expert" at doing these now, but it still took a couple of days for the hardware/SIM verification to propagate through the network (I had no other issues).

I'm not going to deny your experience or others, this thing is all over the board unfortunately. I agree there may be a difference between newer and older TCU parts. However, IMHO they cannot be that different (maybe a different connector). It's basically a dumb cell phone right? It has a SIM card and I can see that from my nav display settings. Do you wait 2 days when you get a new cell phone for it to start working?, I don't at least. It should work within the hour. I failed to verify this "out of store" today but verified it worked shortly after.

From what I've read here it seems that information is lacking to some dealers and that is crucial info to perform this update. I'm not sure who posted this earlier but they said if one step is missed it's not going to work right. Working status may also be implicated by non-business hours / holidays / weekends etc, ...just seems from what I've read, just my observations of this thread.

Mine worked out-of-the-shop with no issues first shot and it is a 2013 model -- see pages 36 & 40.

It all depends on how experienced the technician is, after all.

2015 SV, took it in last Thursday to get the TCU replaced and it hadn't worked at all since I picked it up. Scheduled an appointment to go back in Wednesday since apparently the tech who worked on it was out until then. All asterisks in the info screen. Read on here about someone disconnecting the battery and having the info populate so I figured I'd give it a try. Removed the negative terminal from the battery with a metric 10 wrench for 15 seconds, reattached it, turned on the car and accepted the prompt. When I went into the info screen, it was all there except for the TCU phone number. Tried to sign in and it all went through and now I can use the app for the first time! (I only bought the car about a week ago so I never got to try it before the 2G was shut off)

If you are just getting asterisks after the update it might be worth trying to disconnect the battery. There's probably a fuse you could pull instead if you didn't want to reset the whole car.

My 2013 SL has been at the dealer for 9 days now to have the module installed. I pre-ordered the first module. No go, no connect. They ordered a second and should be installing Tuesday. Just bought the car from a Nissan dealer. It's been in the shop more days now than I have had it to drive. Fun times!

magico13 said:
If you are just getting asterisks after the update it might be worth trying to disconnect the battery. There's probably a fuse you could pull instead if you didn't want to reset the whole car.

FWIW, I have asterisks and mine has worked fine once the modem was activated--so that's not it. Both sides of the service need to be activated (wireless modem and CW/NissanConnect authentication), which can cause delays depending on how quickly AT&T or Nissan updates their databases.

Stanton said:
magico13 said:

FWIW, I have asterisks and mine has worked fine once the modem was activated--so that's not it. Both sides of the service need to be activated (wireless modem and CW/NissanConnect authentication), which can cause delays depending on how quickly AT&T or Nissan updates their databases.

Hmm, I don't know then. All I know is that it was all asterisks before I unplugged the battery and it absolutely refused to talk to the data centers (it seemed to have totally given up, it would actually try at first but lately it just immediately failed), and after I plugged the battery back in the fields were populated (except for TCU Phone No.) and it could talk to the servers just fine. It's possible it needed time to activate, but it either wouldn't or couldn't connect until I unplugged it, since I tried it again right before unplugging it.

Just got a call from Nissan saying they're still working on it and it's escalated. Sounds like it's impacting quite a few leaf owners (which aligns with this board). No ETA, but would call me as soon as any fixes are made.

oak said:
Just got a call from Nissan saying they're still working on it and it's escalated. Sounds like it's impacting quite a few leaf owners (which aligns with this board). No ETA, but would call me as soon as any fixes are made.
Oak: Please help me maintain my sanity.

I just got hung up on by the Nissan "Customer Service" rep. Right now Nissan is dead to me. I don't ever want to spend another dollar on a Nissan product as long as I live. Am I taking this way to seriously? On the one hand I feel like this is a "first world problem" and on the other I want to tell my Nissan dealer to rip the damn unit out and give me my $200 back and I will go purchase a different EV.

Backstory of my rage: Called last Thursday (Jan 12) and was told the ticket was being escalated and I would be called after 48 hours. Called Monday night (Jan 16) because I didn't hear back from anyone. The tech told me that there was no real change, but the notes said that it was sent to XM/Sirius (for some unknown reason)...no explanation as to why. He gave me the extension of the tech working it. I called this new tech and left a message to call me back. Didn't hear back so I called him again this afternoon (without success). So I called the main NOGASEV support number and was told "It was only escalated last night...you can't expect anything to be different in one day. You have to wait 48 hours..." OK, I understand she is just the messenger so I tried to politely tell her (with anger in my voice I'm sure) I would wait and call back if I didn't hear from anyone by the end of the week. She then asked "so what problem are you having". I try to explain to her that I can't get the car to respond to the requests I make within their website. She asks "Can I have you reinstall the app?" I try to tell her that I'm not using an "app", I'm on the Nissan Connect EV website. She says "you aren't going to carry around your laptop to access your Leaf....I need you to re-install your phone app." I try to unsuccessfully explain to her several more times that I may not have a smart phone with an app and I may only access it from my PC and I'm trying to get the website to work (first). This goes on a couple more iterations until I lose my cool and a bad word "slips" out...."Have a nice day sir....click"

Great, now I'm at the bottom of the list...If I'm on the list at all anymore... :(

I just don't think the first level of support has much in the way of being able to fix this. They're probably as frustrated as you are at having to take all these calls all day from people with non-working carwings (and not being able to help them). This is almost certainly being escalated to an overworked IT group somewhere in the bowels of Nissan.

They wanted me to re-install the app, which I did, and which I knew wouldn't work. The next time I called, I told them I had already tried everything in their script and it needed to be escalated. Since that time, I've been called back twice with basically no updates, but that they're working on it. Sure would be nice if it was a nice warm July and they were working on these issues instead of January.

Also, I know they can reproduce the issue I'm having because they tried to communicate with the car too, and it didn't work, but were on the phone when I updated charging stations and signed into carwings successfully.

Just curious to know if people are still getting signal strength on the shut down 2G service? I'm getting full bars on the signal strength even though carwings and all other features don't work.

Well, taking my car back..
It didn't work, which I expected..
So I waited a few days (with the storms we had recently, I was taking the wife's Jeep anyway) and would try it again and again..
Finally, I called Nissan and they ran me thru the carwings screen on the screen.
When I got to the part with almost all *'s, they said "You need to take that back to the dealer, they didn't finish."
Which I also expected.. ;-) ;-(

So, I'll be taking it back this week (possibly tomorrow) to see how it goes...
I did call, and they said to bring it back whenever..

Funny that the dealers seem to be having som much trouble with this one..
Were the instructions too complicated, or were the dealer techs just not reading them? (or both?)...

Fingers crossed..

desiv

gethin said:
Just curious to know if people are still getting signal strength on the shut down 2G service? I'm getting full bars on the signal strength even though carwings and all other features don't work.

All that tells you is the receiver is seeing a pilot signal from the base station; you need to get the 3G modem upgrade if you want it to work.

Hopefully others don't have my unfortunate luck, i.e. the 3g TCU no longer will connect after working for three
weeks since the update. This morning I decided to use the Nissan Connect app (a joke - takes forever)
to verify functionality. After the normal long wait, it provided the status of a few weeks ago. Then selecting
the update icon (possible mistake) and after another long wait, today's status was displayed. About two
hours later while driving I requested a charging station update. Well, my initial hostility, i.e. 3 trips to the
dealer to have a functioning 3g TCU, with this Nissan TCU update process returned with the annoying error
message, THE CONNECTION TO THE CENTER FAILED (B02). I seriously can't believe that my remote
access using the Nissan app could cause the problem, but given what many report in this thread anything
is possible.

This does not bode well for any long term confidence in this update, especially given all the headaches to
achieve an initial functionality!

I'm having trouble getting status from the NissanConnect cloud. I can log in, but get gateway timeouts and invalid param error messages when trying to poll it via App, Website, and LeafManager.

This usually clears up after a couple of hours.....

The whole service is nothing on wants to rely on.

CONTACT NISSAN CUSTOMER SUPPORT. They reset my SIM card and it runs stable for a week now.
PS. Customer service sucks. They are slow and don't want you to be happy.

Had mine done two days ago, but I didn't believe it was done right as when I tried to sign-in from TCU unit in car, got an immediate error message back. Didn't even act like it was trying.

Called Nissan, they told me it looks like it wasn't done right, was getting all the ****, and to take it back to the dealer in 2 days if still the same.

I pulled the fuse, put it back in, and sure enough, everything populating.

So, signed in, authenticated, all looked great! But from web or phone, nothing!

So, removed leaf from my account, added it back to get new username and password, signed in again from car, everything authenticated.. BUT.. still nothing from phone or car.

Looks like it is installed, as I was able to update charge stations within car, but really need the app to work, main reason I paid $199 to have it done!

Anyhow, just left a message with my Nissan contact.. we'll see what happens.

Anything else I should do?

Mark

arnis said:
CONTACT NISSAN CUSTOMER SUPPORT. They reset my SIM card and it runs stable for a week now.
PS. Customer service sucks. They are slow and don't want you to be happy.

Word. My ongoing issues with getting customer service for a USA Leaf in Canada has sent a clear message from Nissan-USA, Nissan-Canada and EVSupport: "WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU."

desiv said:
So, I'll be taking it back this week (possibly tomorrow) to see how it goes...
Took it back today..
It's working...
I had kind of set myself up for them getting it closer (maybe getting the data to show rather than just *'s, but still not working.).

But they called and set it's working and registered.. So I pulled up my phone and tried the app.. And it worked!!

Back in business...

No more having to walk downstairs and into the garage to pre-heat the car!!!
Now I can once again do it from my phone when I roll out of bed...

Man, I'm lazy... :oops: :oops: :D :D

desiv

desiv said:
No more having to walk downstairs and into the garage to pre-heat the car!!!
Now I can once again do it from my phone when I roll out of bed...

Man, I'm lazy... :oops: :oops: :D :D

You're lazy? The phone app is too slow and troublesome, so after I got my 3G upgrade working I made it work with my Echo so I can preheat with my voice just by saying "Alexa, tell the car to turn on the heat." while I'm getting ready :p

Back