No Heat!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my car back after 8 days being at the service department, although repair itself wasn't that long and was mainly delayed waiting for parts and engineers to arrive. The technician, who was also posting on the board, explained to me what was fixed and which parts were replaced. Hopefully, I got the information right, but, basically, they replaced the heater first and it failed again then the narrowed it down to DC controller board that was sending too much voltage to heater and QC port. Board was replaced along with wire harness and the issue appeared to be resolved. He also mentioned that engineers at Nissan diagnosed it as a "fluke" and not a wide thread issue. About an hour later after picking up the car I received the call from the Nissan support to confirm that car is operational and I am satisfied with the repair.

I am glad to have my car back and big thank you to Nissan team working to resolve the issue!

After at least two reports in this forum of heater failure, I decided to test mine even though I can't imagine I will be using the heater until... October? Set the system to 90, made sure AC was off, and even leaving the car for 10-15 minutes, no heat. So either I am just not "getting" how this system works or I also have a broken heater as well. I am taking my car in tomorrow for the software update and I'll have them look at this as well. If I get details back on what was wrong I will post here.

JasonT said:
After at least two reports in this forum of heater failure, I decided to test mine even though I can't imagine I will be using the heater until... October? Set the system to 90, made sure AC was off, and even leaving the car for 10-15 minutes, no heat. So either I am just not "getting" how this system works or I also have a broken heater as well. I am taking my car in tomorrow for the software update and I'll have them look at this as well. If I get details back on what was wrong I will post here.

The system is pretty simple, either you get heat or not, but it does sound like the same issue as mine. Let us know how it goes.

::sigh:: I just went out to test something else and decided to try the heat again. It is working now, so either something was stuck or user error (the more likely scenario). I guess I will try it a few more times just to make sure it's not an intermittent issue.

Ok... so... I tried it again and had the same problem - no heat.

This morning the car was preconditioning due to another test I was doing. I went in the car and turned it to ACC mode, set the temp to 90degrees (car reporting temp at 73) and made sure the AC was off. I left the car for 5 minutes, came back, still blowing "cool" air. Tried turning off auto, turned the fan on high, still no go.

So I tried turning on the car fully and of course it wouldn't let me because the car was plugged in. So I unplugged the car, turned it fully on and tried again (with environmental controls on manual, I believe). Soon the air heated up.

I'm going to play with it some more - I don't know if it was the preconditioning, the being plugged in, or the not being fully on that is causing the problem. In any case, I don't feel QUITE as crazy now. If anyone has any other experience with this, let us know. And if I need to spin this into another thread, I can do that as well.

While charging, either the charging OR the heating has priority.

You can change this Priority setting.

Is your LEAF set to give the priority to "charging" and not heat while charging?

The firmware control procedures in the LEAF are not well known, which can make the debugging the controlled systems VERY difficult. Not all systems are easily isolated for simple debugging or testing procedures.

Most of us appreciate the considerable and fine efforts of the LEAF Task Force.

garygid said:
Is your LEAF set to give the priority to "charging" and not heat while charging?
I am pretty sure I set this to give climate control the priority but I will check it. However, the car was fully charged at the time and I thought that setting was just for when using the timer.

Not trying to shoot you down here, I am up for all suggestions on figuring this out.

I took a quick look at the HV wiring diagram. It looks like in ACC your main system relays for the HV battery are not energized unless pre-heating is on. So the heater will not work in ACC mode.

Great thread! And welcome Stroked!

Now I will have to test my heater... It sounds like I should expect ~4.5 kW in Drive, but ~3.5 kW in ECO?

Bill

Stroked02F350 said:
So the heater will not work in ACC mode.
Good call - since I'm clearly in the wrong thread now (my heater works JUST FINE, I just don't know how to use it!) I've continued this convo over here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3490

Back