OBD2 / Leaf Spy Newbie help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
busybe" said:
will have to check the manual to see if I can charge it to 80%

The charge to 80% feature is not available on 2014 and 2015 models. It was removed due to some effect that it had on the way the EPA calculated the range for the car. Basically we've been told don't worry about it.

What many people, myself included, do is set the car to finish charging right around the time we are ready to go in the morning. That way it doesn't sit around and "cook" with a 100% charged battery for long. I only charge my car 2 or three times a week so it doesn't sit above 80% for long using that method.

However, if your car is a lease, just plug it in and use it. Don't worry too much about the 80% unless you live in a warm climate or plan to plug in every day. If it was a purchase, you might want to baby it a little more.

The car is bought, so I will have to baby it. Currently we have to charge on daily basis. Charging throughout night. Come home at 11pm, put it to charge (trickle charge) and done charging by 10am in the morning to 100%. When I reach home the battery capacity on the dash shows 50% charge remaining. From 10 am to 1pm it sits at 100%. Is this ok or do you suggest something else?

I soon will have L2 charger installed which has delay timer, so that I can charge it close to when I am suppose to leave for work.

AlanSqB said:
busybe" said:
will have to check the manual to see if I can charge it to 80%

The charge to 80% feature is not available on 2014 and 2015 models. It was removed due to some effect that it had on the way the EPA calculated the range for the car. Basically we've been told don't worry about it.

What many people, myself included, do is set the car to finish charging right around the time we are ready to go in the morning. That way it doesn't sit around and "cook" with a 100% charged battery for long. I only charge my car 2 or three times a week so it doesn't sit above 80% for long using that method.

However, if your car is a lease, just plug it in and use it. Don't worry too much about the 80% unless you live in a warm climate or plan to plug in every day. If it was a purchase, you might want to baby it a little more.
[/quote]

My charging regimen wouldn't suit the OP as well as it does for my short (19 miles roundtrip) commute, but for what it's worth:

I have the LEAF's charge timers set up with both a start and an end time, so that the car charges (on L2) for a short time each night (currently, 90 minutes works out for me). The goal is to almost replace the charge used by each day's commute, and my routine is monotonous enough that it comes awfully close. The average level gradually moves up or down; if it strays too far from 50%, I adjust the start time by a 10-minute click or two accordingly.

I used 80% for the first year and a half.

But that was a mistake because doing that and helping the battery temperature by leaving garage door open at night in summer may be what causes me to miss out on capacity warranty battery replacement.

In general being charged to 100% for a few hours each day is not that big an impact.

No where near as significant as things that make the battery hot, such as spirited driving, high ambient temperatures with DCQC, discharging all the way to turtle, etc.

busybe said:
From 10 am to 1pm it sits at 100%. Is this ok or do you suggest something else?

Honestly, I've only begun to worry about this recently as the temperatures here have been consistently in the 90's lately and staying warm into the night. The rest of the time I haven't worried about it, letting it charge to 100% whenever, and I just got a "5-Star" report on my battery check :p yesterday.

I don't know where you're located, but if it's not somewhere hot it might really not be worth worrying about.

That is a good point you talked here. I am in Canada, Toronto. Temperatures are on the cold side, many months freezing. In such case, do you keep the heater on in the car? when the car is sitting idle?

AlanSqB said:
busybe said:
From 10 am to 1pm it sits at 100%. Is this ok or do you suggest something else?

Honestly, I've only begun to worry about this recently as the temperatures here have been consistently in the 90's lately and staying warm into the night. The rest of the time I haven't worried about it, letting it charge to 100% whenever, and I just got a "5-Star" report on my battery check :p yesterday.

I don't know where you're located, but if it's not somewhere hot it might really not be worth worrying about.

In that case you DO need to keep your car plugged in when it's very cold. The car has a pack heater that prevents damage to the cells in extreme cold. You don't have to turn that heater on, it works automatically.

AlanSqB said:
... The car has a pack heater that prevents damage to the cells in extreme cold. ...
It keeps the pack warm enough for the LEAF to function.

I have not seen any clear documentation that extreme freeze of the pack causes damage.

Some reports seem to indicate that use of the LEAF at extremely low temperatures would limit power to what would slowly heat the pack till the LEAF became functional.

But I agree it is probably lower risk not to let it hard freeze :roll:

I'm helping someone read their pack over email, and a problem has arisen. They got a reading today, but it's nonsense. AH=0.0, SOH=83% with 12 bars, etc. What did they do wrong...?

LeftieBiker said:
I'm helping someone read their pack over email, and a problem has arisen. They got a reading today, but it's nonsense. AH=0.0, SOH=83% with 12 bars, etc. What did they do wrong...?

Did they by any chance take the reading with the Leaf in off position? LeafSpy will connect to certain OBD adapters even when powered down (I can connect to mine from my kitchen which sits right above my garage). But the numbers it returns are bogus. I get 120% SOC, etc.

Jefe said:
LeftieBiker said:

Did they by any chance take the reading with the Leaf in off position? LeafSpy will connect to certain OBD adapters even when powered down (I can connect to mine from my kitchen which sits right above my garage). But the numbers it returns are bogus. I get 120% SOC, etc.

That was my guess. Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully there will be a good read tomorrow, and hopefully the SOH won't be 83%!

Back