Offering use of private charging stations?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetForMe

Do people ever offer electrical outlets or EVSE for fellow EV owners to use?

I've had my Leaf for eight months or so, and for the most part it's great. But I live in San Jose, and sometimes want to go to San Francisco. The round-trip is just a little out of the range of the car (unless I drive really slowly). Usually it's okay, because I'm able to charge near where I want to be in the City.

But now I need to make a trip, possibly overnight, where the nearest charging station is a 25 minute walk away. It's a public garage, but I don't know if I can leave my car there overnight, nor what the access hours are.

I wonder if there's a way to say, "I could really use a boost in this neighborhood" and have someone say, "I've got a plug two blocks away you can use."

Thanks,
Rick

JetForMe said:
Do people ever offer electrical outlets or EVSE for fellow EV owners to use?

Check plugshare.com. You can put your home charging station in there and "share" it if you want. You might find someone closer to your destination.

Thanks. I'm ashamed to admit I knew about this, even had the app on my phone. Completely forgot it existed.

I am now signed up and offering my EVSE. Thanks again!

I offer mine for real EV's only (way I see it PHEV's have gas for a reason, and I don't expect someone to let me in their house while I charge my Volt). If someone comes to my door with a Leaf or iMiev though I would gladly let them charge so they can make it home. Especially here cause there are almost no public stations except at Nissan dealers. Those got my Volt yesterday so now waiting to see what the final determination is as to what happened to the car.

Roadburner440 said:
I offer mine for real EV's only (way I see it PHEV's have gas for a reason, and I don't expect someone to let me in their house while I charge my Volt). If someone comes to my door with a Leaf or iMiev though I would gladly let them charge so they can make it home. Especially here cause there are almost no public stations except at Nissan dealers. Those got my Volt yesterday so now waiting to see what the final determination is as to what happened to the car.

I have been using Plugshare for nearly a year (or however long it has been around) but I've never "actually" used it in the sense of finding a place to charge. I have often looked to see if there are any charging stations (or homeowners) in a particular area I'm going, just as a safety net. But I've never needed to call anyone. I've also had my home on the map and my home is actually in an ideal area as there are no charging stations for at least 10 miles in any direction. In fact, I'm the only one in the city of Kennedale, TX. But so far, nobody has ever called and asked to charge.

I did send a message to someone that I've met at a gathering before because I saw his home charging station on plugshare and I was going to be in the area and just at the edge of my range. Despite the fact that he's very enthusiastic about his LEAF and active on the Facebook page I still haven't gotten a response from him!

I'm sharing my charging station on plugshare, but I'm only about 2 miles from a Nissan dealership with 4 charging stations, so I really doubt anyone would take me up on the share.

I found someone a 15 minute walk from where I need to be, and he responded very quickly, graciously allowing me to charge. Not bad!

Thus far, I've had another LEAF owner, a Tesla roadster, a prototype RAV4 EV, and a BMW Mini-E stop by because of my PlugShare listing and/or presence on this forum. The latter two got significant charges and even let me test drive their EVs! (Thanks, KeiJidosha!)

Roadburner440 said:
I offer mine for real EV's only
In my opinion, a Volt or even a PIP is a real EV, for people who are trying to drive it like an EV. I've been on Plugshare for six months, and anybody who wants to use my J1772 is welcome. The nearest public charging station is ten miles away, and I'm only a mile off US 101, so I'm surprised I haven't gotten any requests.

Ray

planet4ever"In my opinion said:
is[/u] a real EV

Yeah, glad you mentioned that. I too would give a Volt a charge that's trying to use it as a pure EV (although I don't actually see that happening). We're all a part of the same community!

planet4ever said:
Roadburner440 said:
In my opinion, a Volt or even a PIP is a real EV, for people who are trying to drive it like an EV. I've been on Plugshare for six months, and anybody who wants to use my J1772 is welcome. The nearest public charging station is ten miles away, and I'm only a mile off US 101, so I'm surprised I haven't gotten any requests.

Ray

I personally would just feel bad doing so being a Volt driver... Granted I do not like leaving EV mode, but that is what it is there for. For me plug share is to bridge the gap in the poor EV infrastructure we have in America for the Leaf, Tesla, iMiev, and cars of that nature. Granted even with the Tesla I may raise a brow as they go 300 miles, but I would not say no. Granted I would not say no to a Volt or a PiP either, but you know what I mean.

I think once QC comes online for the Leaf and iMiev things will turn around. Just telling people at my work about the ability to charge a Leaf from 0-80% in 30 minutes gets some positive reactions. I think once we get faster charging options in place more people will switch. It is just right now they look at even charging a car to go 100 miles for 7 hours as "to long." Nor do they really wish to plan their routes and such around a cars max range. Granted most of the people I know drive even less a day than I do (20-30 miles), but they still are not convinced the current batch of EV's are a solution. I would give up trying to convince non-believers, but I think with gas prices the way they are eventually they are bound to come around. Just maybe. I guess in the end you are right that those of us with Volts and the PiP are out for the same ends. I just think that if a car is a PHEV that it would be kind of odd showing up to someones house saying they need a charge. I do not charge at work for this very reason, as I do not want to give the impression that the Volt is not capable when it is more than up to the task.

planet4ever said:
Roadburner440 said:

Ray
I applaud Ray for his generosity in offering his charge to any type of EV, as long as it can plug in. However, I don't think others who prefer to offer theirs for 100% EV only should feel bad either. It is an imposition to ask somebody to charge at their house, so it should be a last resort. For plug-in EVs with a gas option, unless they totally run out of gas AND battery juice, a very unlikely scenario, charging at a stranger's house is hardly a last resort.

Volusiano said:
It is an imposition to ask somebody to charge at their house, so it should be a last resort.
I think if someone has listed an EVSE in PlugShare, it can be implied that they are willing to help others maximize their use of their EVs. We do not consider it an imposition when others charge in our driveway. Anyone in PlugShare who does not feel this way should probably specify that they are offering a plug "for emergency use only".

I would rather that folks driving through our mountain community use our EVSE instead of coming up in an ICE car. (I routinely bicycle our twisty roads and always appreciate less exhaust.)

If our electricity bill goes up too much as a result of lots of folks charging, we can always put out a donation box. This is probably quite a ways off, though. All we are asking is that people leave a brief note (or email, or PM) to indicate they have charged at our place.

I have my office listed on plugshare and even offer a couch, desk and wifi, along with a 110v outlet or used of my upgraded EVSE... But this area isn't too active with EV activity, and there are three public charger locations (two dealers and one Kohls) within a 2-3 miles.

It sounds like you have an outdoors EVSE. In that case, that indeed makes it easy to allow people to hook up and charge without disturbing you or your having to be at home to give them access to inside your garage. I can see that not being an imposition at all and the idea of leaving out a donation box is a great idea. But for most of us who have to be home and open up our garage to allow access, it'd be a bit of inconvenience and imposition. With my set up, the EVSE is on the inside wall, so I'd even have to move my car out to let the other car inside my garage in order to hookup.

Yes, having an outdoor EVSE has turned out to be very nice.

Volusiano said:
But for most of us who have to be home and open up our garage to allow access, it'd be a bit of inconvenience and imposition. With my set up, the EVSE is on the inside wall, so I'd even have to move my car out to let the other car inside my garage in order to hookup.
One must appreciate the people who are willing to put up with that sort of inconvenience to allow strangers access to their garages.

One option for particularly altruistic folks with garages might be to install an additional 240 V outlet or EVSE outdoors for visitors. Of course, this might make sense anyway, since it is not necessarily always convenient to park and charge inside the garage. Sometimes it could be nice to use the garage for "projects", and charge the EV outdoors.

Volusiano said:
It sounds like you have an outdoors EVSE. In that case, that indeed makes it easy to allow people to hook up and charge without disturbing you or your having to be at home to give them access to inside your garage.
Most of my 25' J1772 cable is coiled on a hose rack outside, just around the corner from the front of my garage (though the EVSE itself is behind a fence, screwed to the wall). Yes, that does make things easier, though I would hope people would have the courtesy to call my cell phone (which they can do via the Plugshare interface) before they use it.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Volusiano said:
It sounds like you have an outdoors EVSE. In that case, that indeed makes it easy to allow people to hook up and charge without disturbing you or your having to be at home to give them access to inside your garage.
Most of my 25' J1772 cable is coiled on a hose rack outside, just around the corner from the front of my garage (though the EVSE itself is behind a fence, screwed to the wall). Yes, that does make things easier, though I would hope people would have the courtesy to call my cell phone (which they can do via the Plugshare interface) before they use it.

Ray

We listed ourselves on Plugshare when the Blink was first installed. When you click on the icon you get my name and a text message to me address and a phone number. We are both cool with EV folks coming by if they need to. Better yet, bring a couple of six packs of micro-brewry brew and we'll sit on the deck with chips and dip. We've had a couple of Porsche 928 owners stop by over the years on their way up or down I-65. It's interesting and fun to meet new folks person to person after seeing them on a forum. We can talk about cars, guns, how to property prepare Possum Pie, and all of our Southern cousins who are married to each other and have three heads.

Back