Official BMW i3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elroy-

Are all these i3s in Camarillo because they are being tested at the Oxnard BMW testing facility?

mhkp said:
Elroy-

Are all these i3s in Camarillo because they are being tested at the Oxnard BMW testing facility?

Yes, they tend to come from the Oxnard facility. Also, several of them live in Camarillo.

Also, the Camarillo Premium Outlets just got the EVgo Chademo charger operating there.
I spoke with the EVgo rep that was charging his LEAF there, he said there is a hollowed out spot in the middle for the SAE combo charger in the future. Thus the BMW i3 should be able to charge there. Also, right across the street is the BMW dealership.

dnez.jpg

Valdemar said:
Is the unit on the right just a L2 charging station? Why is it so big?

I was thinking the same thing. It is not a charger at all (besides the 120v outlet on the lower left side). The rep told me it will be a credit card reader for the quick charger. The SAE combo charger would go between the 2 units.

BMW Japan announces CHAdeMO will be standard equipment on the i3, and looks like that's for both the BEV and BEVx models.

Too bad, IMO, that BMW probably won't give USA buyers the CHAdeMO option.

http://news.bmw.co.jp/press/2013/11/13a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BMW usa should just follow that up with a " we will equip all usa spec I3's with chademo "

CCS is just going to be worthless in most areas, including where I live in northern Virginia

I do have access to 4 or 5 chademo units in the area now, all sumitomo Nissan branded units that will likely never have CCS capability

After waiting 2 years for fast charging and finally using it my Leaf , why would I buy a car with ZERO fast chargers ??????????

Well, IF they add CHAdeMO sensibly to the Japanese market cars (meaning a retrofit wasn't unreasonably difficult), perhaps the parts could be sourced there for owners to convert their US spec cars. But, really, they should make it a US market option, if nothing else. Silly.

mwalsh said:
Well, IF they add CHAdeMO sensibly to the Japanese market cars (meaning a retrofit wasn't unreasonably difficult), perhaps the parts could be sourced there for owners to convert their US spec cars. But, really, they should make it a US market option, if nothing else. Silly.

Indeed, given the CHAdeMO install base in primary markets here. Sounds like their marketing department could do a better job analyzing what can help to move more of these cars, if that is their goal.

Berlino said:
If they're bothering to modify the i3 for sale in Japan, does it mean that BMW doesn't at all consider it to be a compliance car?
bmwi3mnl

The i3 is not a compliance car. Not even close.I would be curious to learn what gave you that idea.

surfingslovak said:
Berlino said:
If they're bothering to modify the i3 for sale in Japan, does it mean that BMW doesn't at all consider it to be a compliance car?
bmwi3mnl

The i3 is not a compliance car. Not even close.I would be curious to learn what gave you that idea.

The i3 is a certainly a BEVx compliance car in California:

California’s new ZEV rule introduces the BEVx; ARB staff expects these vehicles to play a longer-term role than plug-in hybrids

29 January 2012

On Friday 27 January, the California Air Resources Board (ARB) adopted the new Advanced Clean Cars (ACC) package that sets out the regulatory emissions and technology requirements for light-duty automobiles through model year 2025. (Earlier post.) The Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) regulation—one of the three main regulatory packages that constitute ACC—introduces a new regulatory vehicle category: the BEVx, or a battery-electric vehicle with a small “limp-home” range extending engine or APU (auxiliary power unit)—i.e., not a series-hybrid type vehicle such as the Chevrolet Volt equipped with a full-capability engine...

Basic criteria for these vehicle include:

1. the APU range is equal to or less than the all-electric range;

2. engine operation cannot occur until the battery charge has been depleted to the charge-sustaining lower limit..

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/01/bevx-20120129.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6847&start=170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still wonder if i3 owners may be allowed more control of their ICEs and larger fuel tanks in other (less idiotic?) regulatory environments.

edatoakrun said:
The i3 is a certainly a BEVx compliance car in California.
Yes, but this only applies to the range-extended trim, and not to the entire i3 product line. By this type of broad definition, any zero-emissions vehicle is a compliance car. Based on what I'm told, BMW was not on the hook for ZEV credits when they released the MINI-E and later the ActiveE. They will be on the hook with the i3, however, and I'm not entirely sure when and why this requirement has changed. I think the size of their investment would indicate that there is a bit more to the i3 than just compliance with ZEV sales volume requirements. This could be accomplished with far less effort. I'm a bit surprised that the gas tank in the REx trim is only 9 liters (2.38 gallons) in all markets, and not just California.

surfingslovak said:

I admit that "compliance car" was not the appropriate term.

It's surprising to me, however, that they appear to be making more than a token effort in Asia, far from their home base, where I don't think they'll get ZEV credits.

As for why I was thinking that, the timing of the USA release just before BMW becomes regulated by CARB-ZEV, the crafting of the Rex to meet California standards, and the German manufacturer's apparent disinterest in the Canadian market (only 20% of dealers accredited to sell it, only one of which is in the province where there are the most EVs.)

Berlino said:
surfingslovak said:

I admit that "compliance car" was not the appropriate term.

It's surprising to me, however, that they appear to be making more than a token effort in Asia, far from their home base, where I don't think they'll get ZEV credits.

As for why I was thinking that, the timing of the USA release just before BMW becomes regulated by CARB-ZEV, the crafting of the Rex to meet California standards, and the German manufacturer's apparent disinterest in the Canadian market (only 20% of dealers accredited to sell it, only one of which is in the province where there are the most EVs.)

As far as I know, all of the Canadian dealerships were offered BMW i franchises, just like all of the dealers here in the US were. In the US, 285 of the 330 dealers signed on, which is 86% of all dealerships. Dealers have the right to refuse the i brand. If they wanted to be a BMW i dealership, they had to first pay a fee of about $100,000. That would partially be a franchise fee, and partially for the specialized equipment and training that they would need to service the high voltage battery system and to repair the carbon fiber passenger cabin and the aluminum frame. They also have to agree to dedicate a certain percentage of floor space exclusively to BMW i vehicles and maintain a minimum inventory at all times. If their dealership was too small, they had to make an addition. I can see many dealers in Canada passing because the electric car adoption rate is much lower than it is here in the states. I suspect many of the BMW dealers here that passed on the franchise were in rural areas. So it's definitely not a case of BMW holding the cars back from Canada. They can't force the dealers there to sell them if they don't want to or if they think the investment just isn't worth it.

Lack of federal level incentives, I think is the problem in Canada. That means manufacturers use MSRP to price lease & purchase ads ...

Speaking of CHAdeMO on an i3, think about where the charge port would be placed. There wouldn't be room in the normal charge port area for both the J1772 and the CHAdeMO ports. One option would be to use the petrol fill port on the front right fender and to make the CHAdeMO-equipped cars mandatory non-REx engine equipped. I suppose another choice would be to locate a CHAdeMO port in the frunk area, but it seems awkward to require that the hood be raised in order to quick-charge.

Either way, there will be a need to route additional high voltage cable from a CHAdeMO port located toward to front of the car.

A third option would be to design an additional charge port for the CHAdeMO on the left rear fender.

surfingslovak said:
edatoakrun said:
The i3 is a certainly a BEVx compliance car in California.
... BMW was not on the hook for ZEV credits when they released the MINI-E and later the ActiveE. They will be on the hook with the i3, however, and I'm not entirely sure when and why this requirement has changed. I think the size of their investment would indicate that there is a bit more to the i3 than just compliance with ZEV sales volume requirements. This could be accomplished with far less effort. I'm a bit surprised that the gas tank in the REx trim is only 9 liters (2.38 gallons) in all markets, and not just California.

NOT EVERY CAR MAKER MUST COMPLY WITH CARB-ZEV. Currently, there are six "Large Volume Manufacturers" (LVM) that must produce Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEV) if they want to sell lots of oil burning cars in California, model years 2012-2014:

USA Big Three LVM's:

GM - about 2500 Spark EV's
Ford - maybe 1500-2000 Ford Focus EV's
Chrysler/Fiat - 491 Fiat 500e for 2013 model year confirmed

Japan Big Three LVM's:

Toyota - 2600 Rav4 EV's announced
Nissan - 75,000 LEAF's so far!!
Honda - 1100 Fit EV's announced

For the 2015 and later model years, all these vehicle manufacturers must comply:

BMW, Fiat/Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Daimler/Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen must comply with the new 2012 and later CARB-ZEV requirements. Four additional manufacturers would also be required to comply with the ZEV requirements, but would be allowed to meet their obligation with PHEVs (so they aren't included, since they won't make a true ZEV). Note that neither Mitsubishi, nor Tesla are on the list.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20131021/motorists-to-foot-bill-for-californias-touted-hydrogen-highway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toyota... Hyundai, BMW, Nissan, Honda and Mercedes are also moving forward with hydrogen vehicles.

TonyWilliams said:
For the 2015 and later model years, all these vehicle manufacturers must comply:

BMW, Fiat/Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Daimler/Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen must comply with the new 2012 and later CARB-ZEV requirements. Four additional manufacturers would also be required to comply with the ZEV requirements, but would be allowed to meet their obligation with PHEVs (so they aren't included, since they won't make a true ZEV). Note that neither Mitsubishi, nor Tesla are on the list.
Fascinating, thank you Tony!

Boomer23 said:
Speaking of CHAdeMO on an i3, think about where the charge port would be placed. There wouldn't be room in the normal charge port area for both the J1772 and the CHAdeMO ports. One option would be to use the petrol fill port on the front right fender and to make the CHAdeMO-equipped cars mandatory non-REx engine equipped. I suppose another choice would be to locate a CHAdeMO port in the frunk area, but it seems awkward to require that the hood be raised in order to quick-charge.

Either way, there will be a need to route additional high voltage cable from a CHAdeMO port located toward to front of the car.

A third option would be to design an additional charge port for the CHAdeMO on the left rear fender.

Well, I was on the right track, but I missed the actual solution. Apparently, the Japan cars will have the CHAdeMO port replacing the standard AC charging port in the right rear fender, with the AC port moving to a spot in or near the "frunk", under the bonnet. So unless BMW has a solution that allows routing the cable out of the car with the bonnet closed, Japan drivers will be (slow) charging with their hoods up. In a climate known for a fair amount of rain. Hmmm.

http://transportevolved.com/2013/11/15/in-japan-bmw-i3-gets-chademo-slow-charge-connector-hidden-under-hood/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back