Official California DWP Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lopton said:
drees said:
I'm guessing that most of the coal is imported from AZ as there is very little coal generation capacity in CA...
Actually most of the coal is imported from UT with about 1/4 to 1/3 coming from AZ
I meant electricity generated from coal - CA only appears to have about 10 coal power plants with a total capacity of less than 500 MW - less than 1% of power generation capability in CA.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=California_and_coal

But CA utilities have ownership in several out-of-state coal plants (Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and Utah - about 4.5 GW total ownership) from which they get power. At least DWP and SCE are looking to divest those interests.

Err guess I was refering to electricity generated by the coal plants also.

DWP is 45% owner of 1800MW (810MW) of Utah Coal at Intermountain (http://www.ipautah.com/participants/index.asp)

and only 21% owner of 2280MW (478MW) of Navajo Coal (http://www.srpnet.com/about/stations/navajo.aspx)

and that pretty much sums up their coal plants for which they are long term owners/partners.

-Matt

I don't understand why I can't just get the discount each month if I send them proof of ownership. Why must I go to the (most likely more expensive) whole house TOU system?

WWBD said:
I don't understand why I can't just get the discount each month if I send them proof of ownership. Why must I go to the (most likely more expensive) whole house TOU system?
That would be a good compromise to just increase the baseline allowance for EV owners. Trouble is the power companies want an incentive to the EV owners to charge at night.

And I agree that the peak TOU rates do seem outrageous compared to a small discount at night. If the peak rate is double why isn't the super off-peak half the baseline rate?

My situation is a bit different from house owners. I'm in a condo, and my meter is in an electrical room in our shared garage.

Inspection #1: I had AV come out and I received a $4,355.19 price tag. So I moved on to get a second opinion.

Inspection #2: Electrician #3 (Skipping an attempt with an electrician proved unreliable). Super nice guy looked at my setup, heard what AV wanted to do, and told me AV's solution would not have been to code my unit's panel was maxed out AND the whole building's sub-panel is also maxed out. WHOOPS! So we decided to ask LADWP for suggestions, since a second meter seemed the best idea.

Inspection #3: Our LADWP representative came out (along with Electrician #3) and wasn't super helpful. He seems nervous of the idea that more owners may do similar installations, and wasn't "allowed" to suggest a specific installation plan. He suggested a few options of where we could tap into the existing system, all of which would disrupt service to my neighbors and might not even pass safety inspection after it was done. And what about future installations? We can't just keep tying in like this, it could get messy and reach other limitations too quickly. We're currently investigating installing a new meter and a new panel from scratch, and tie into the street as if we were building a new house!

Sigh.

Kataphn said:
DWP is proposed a rebate program for EVSE installation and it looks like the installation of the second meter will be covered. It is being presented to their board this week and then, if approved by them, the proposal has to go to the LA City Council. Here is the link to the proposed paperwork http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp014257.pdf
I wish they had proposed this before I got my EVSE installed!!!

I was told verbally that if approved the DWP rebate program will be retroactive to first of the year but I did not read all the paperwork yet to see if that is true.

If that turns out to be true, I may have a TOU installed... I still think the discount is too small to be of any value to anyone who actually has to pay for a meter installation however.

Kataphn said:
I was told verbally that if approved the DWP rebate program will be retroactive to first of the year but I did not read all the paperwork yet to see if that is true.

Kataphn said:
Yes, but I didn't get a separate meter installed (which I could have done if I had known about it). This would require a lot more work/money to meet their requirements.

PS To another poster: The money saved wouldn't be in the rate, but in the cost of the EVSE install.

One must be cautious of rushing into a TOU meter with DWP. The benefits very much depend on the time of day of your heaviest electrical usage.

For instance, I am retired and my wife and I are at home most of the day. As the DWP explained it to me, using a whole house TOU meter with that scenario will almost certainly lead to a considerably higher bill than we're getting now. So I am sticking with the standard "residential rate." Now if you are working during the day and your home energy use then is relatively low, a whole house TOU might make sense (in spite of the $8 service charge).

As for a separate metered service for the EV... that, we were told by both the DWP and an electrician, would be very costly given that the house is fed by underground lines.

We've had the Leaf for less than a week so the jury is very much out on what kind of "jolt" our bi-monthly bill will get from the car.

TOU meter is gang busters with LADWP if you have solar.
even in Feb and March, we got a cash credit with a very small system, around 3.2 watts.

Wow, I should just hook up the solar panel from the Leaf to my grid then since it puts out twice that amount! :lol:

thankyouOB said:
TOU meter is gang busters with LADWP if you have solar.
even in Feb and March, we got a cash credit with a very small system, around 3.2 watts.

I'm calling tomorrow to see what they will be able to do to help me out! I have my office in a mixed use building in Los Angeles so am hopeful that a residential rate may apply to a new charger install...

I had the best conversation this morning that I have had in many conversations with DWP over the past year. I had called and left a message for my electric service representative saying we were just going to get the EVSE installed (Monday EV Project) connected to our existing meter and just see what the rebate program looked like once it is launched next week. A new rep called me back and he was great...very personable and had good information. My plan is to let the dust settle with getting our LEAF and the EVSE and then get a couple of contractors in to give estimates on what it would cost to put in a TOU second meter. (I am not a technical person but my understanding is that the second meter has to come off the main line of the electricity coming from the pole and have its own mast through the roof to its own panel-so not cheap to do...probably going to be around $1000). Then I am going to contact the DWP rep and see if he was able to get my questions answered regarding the rebate. One question was "What if I apply for rebate just for second meter work-do I need to supply all the paperwork for the EVSE as well even though I am not asking for rebate for that work?" He did not know but he said he would find out.
Anyhow, I am just glad to have a real person to work with me on this who seems positive and wants to help. We still may not go with a second meter. I want to see how much it would be to put it in and get a couple months of electric bills with the LEAF to see how the cost is running and then decide. Still would be $8 separate account fee monthly for the second meter.
8pm to 10 am base charging rate for EV with second meter would be 7.5 cents kWh (weekdays). Rate applies all day/night Sat. and Sun.

Has anyone gotten a TOU second meter put in with DWP yet? What was your experience and cost?

Back