Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
We will run a 100kmh ground speed loop with it to compare to the other cars tested.
Sounds great!

I recently had a gasoline-powered Kia Soul as a rental car. I liked the relatively tall cabin and headroom (something I also appreciate about the LEAF) and enjoyed the way it handled. Among the cars I've rented, it was probably my favorite. Except for the aerodynamics probably not being that great, this could be a very nice EV.

Yeah, that is part of my concern. At speed it would appear to be not much better than pushing a shoebox through the air...

abasile said:
Except for the aerodynamics probably not being that great, this could be a very nice EV.

Randy said:
I really liked the first Kia Soul commercial with the hamsters. If you figure out a new commercial for the electric version using the same hamster theme and it is just as funny, I think you'll have a winner on your hands...Maybe the hamster wheels have a small belt with a small electric motor or something...
I really liked this (ICE) Kia Soul ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XToGmeHcwU0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Their shirts say "Hamstar" on them.

Hope they can come up w/something as clever/catchy for the EV version.

Valdemar said:
With air? A marginal improvement over Leaf at best in warmer climates.I meant that air cooling is not much better than no active cooling at all unless you do a lot of QC or have a heavy foot.
Are you kidding me? Do you know how hot the Leaf pack gets during the summer? And then bakes during the day?

Here in SoCal.. last week during the "heat wave" we had.. I was easily into the 34-35*c range aka 95-96*f range.. THIS IS ON A GOOD DAY.. Summertime.. 39-41*..

That Kia blowing cool 72-78* air around a sealed battery compartment/box has got my vote! :cool: If you can't see the benefits to this... well.. :roll:

The cooling system on the Soul is similar to what a lot of hybrids do. Looking at how some of the better '13 and '14 leaf models are degrading, I think it has merit.

Still, my leaf lease is up September 2015. Just after the second summer of the first "Souls". I think we might have a clue by then if there are major issues brewing. Oh yeah, and I'll probably just lease again. :)

Personally, I'm going to give up on buying new EVs until I get get one with 150 mile real life range that supports QC that matches available infrastructure (CHAdeMO?) for < 40k before incentives. Part of the problem is my long commute which makes leasing less practical, so I need to buy. I'm glad I bought my Leaf as if I leased I would be facing a tough decision to choose between a handful of other 80 mile EVs, each becoming a 60 mile EV in 3 years with my 20k miles/year usage. I have yet to see any real data that proves that batteries used in other cars are more robust than those in the Leaf, even with active cooling. And there is anecdotal evidence that they are not much better. So the plan is to push my Leaf for 2-3 more years over 100k miles, and then see what's available. Kia looks interesting, but it is not on my radar screen for the reasons stated above.

Valdemar said:
And there is anecdotal evidence that they are not much better.
The biggest problem is that it's difficult to really tell until you get a lot of data and time - by then it's too late!

Of course, when the RAV4-EV, you start out with a LOT more capacity so losing 20% isn't that big a deal compared to losing 20% in the LEAF. It's be less of a deal in the RAV4-EV if it supposed DCQC. Good charging infrastructure can make up a lot for reduced range.

Valdemar said:
drees said:
Of course, when the RAV4-EV, you start out with a LOT more capacity so losing 20% isn't that big a deal compared to losing 20% in the LEAF.
Hence my 150 mile range "requirement" :)
Tony's test results from the first post in that thread:

TonyWilliams said:
Full charge to turtle:

144.4 miles at 3.7 miles per kWh (270 watthours per mile) equals 39.0kWh

39.0 / 41.8kWh = 93.3% capacity

6.7% degradation at 20,000 miles, 9 months in service.
Assuming a brand new battery looks like you have your 150 mile range EV already. pchilds in the 2nd post made it to 145 miles with 10 miles on the DTE indicator at 3.8 mi/kWh.

If you lease the RAV4-EV, you can get it for $36k after 3 years leasing it, though that includes the federal tax credit but does not include the CA rebate. So figure ~$34k + tax.

Bringing this back on topic - do we know what the Soul EV is going to retail for?

drees said:
If you lease the RAV4-EV, you can get it for $36k after 3 years leasing it, though that includes the federal tax credit but does not include the CA rebate. So figure ~$34k + tax.

That doesn't change the fact it is a $50,000 vehicle with no quick-charge capability. (off-topic end).

How sturdy is the front hatch that opens so you can plugin? It looks a bit flimsy in pictures/video compared to the Leaf hatch.

Valdemar said:
drees said:

That doesn't change the fact it is a $50,000 vehicle with no quick-charge capability. (off-topic end).
First.. with all the rebates, incentives, etc.. it comes out cheaper then a V6 Camry(you're getting a Tesla basically).. end of story.. but your not getting one.. you can't get one because they are pretty much all gone.. Too bad.. so sad.. (I know one sitting on a lot for 103 days with a 90% charged battery!! LOLOLOL)

And it's not a $50k vehicle.. it's going to cost me $34k in the end..(already got all my rebates!! thanks everyone!) and it'll have JaDEmo (aka CHAdeMO) here VERY quickly.. again.. Too bad.. so sad.. :lol:

As for the Kia.. the charge port looked fine.. again.. this is a test mule.. production can change.

EDIT: The RAV4ev if you bought it now would cost you.. $35,424 for a Tesla vehicle.. SUCH A TERRIBLE deal :roll:

How much does a decked out Leaf or V6 Camry cost again?? LOLOLOLOL

JasonA said:
And it's not a $50k vehicle.. it's going to cost me $34k in the end..(already got all my rebates!! thanks everyone!)

It is, the fact you got lucky to pocket $9,000 Toyota's money only proves their lack of interest in further developing and supporting this technology. Good luck with that QC project.

Valdemar said:
JasonA said:
And it's not a $50k vehicle.. it's going to cost me $34k in the end..(already got all my rebates!! thanks everyone!)

It is, the fact you got lucky to pocket $9,000 Toyota's money only proves their lack of interest in further developing and supporting this technology. Good luck with that QC project.
It's actually $14k lease cash :lol:

And I wouldn't say that.. the patent on NiMh ends in '17... and they love Hybrid/plug-in technology.. it's paying the bills!

imagejpg22.jpg

imagejpg19.jpg

Back