Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJD said:
Has Kia said how many they are going to produce next year ?

Last I remember reading was 5,000 of them for calendar 2014, most of which are coming to the US.

I don't remember reading any calendar 2015 projections but it sure looks like this is going to go way beyond "compliance car" status.

Other interesting notes:

The 10 year / 100k mile warranty applies to the entire EV system: drive motor, gear drive unit, battery pack, electric power control unit and OBC.

It will be very interesting to see what they price it. I can't see it being priced at less than the price of the LEAF SV. I think if they can get it to market at that price of the SV they have the potential to move some decent volume.

Still wishing for an affordable 32 kWh+ EV, though!

I figured the Soul would give the LEAF some real competition; now I'm sure of it (as long as they don't go crazy on the price).
I'm definitely going to take the opportunity to test drive one of these when it's available, just for fun.

+1

GRA said:
I figured the Soul would give the LEAF some real competition; now I'm sure of it (as long as they don't go crazy on the price).
I'm definitely going to take the opportunity to test drive one of these when its available, just for fun.

GRA said:
I'm definitely going to take the opportunity to test drive one of these when it's available, just for fun.
Competition is when they can actually price it to compete AND produce in volumes. For eg. Honda Fit EV could have competed (if they priced it the way they did with unlimited miles) - if they sold in volume in many states.

But to sell in volume & in many states, they have to produce with some margin. Does Kia produce these cars with any kind of margin ?

If money spent on advertising is any indication of corporate desire to move product, then I'd say this bodes well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYWHsOeDf3M[/youtube]

CG hamsters aren't cheap.

Edit: They also call out Toyota and Honda for killing the RAV4 and Fit EV: http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/ev-faqs/ev-shopping/comparing-evs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:

Also, they're beating Nissan's capacity warranty...

The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery (“EV Battery”) Capacity warranty coverage period is 10 years or 100,000 miles from the Date of First Service, whichever comes first, for capacity loss below 70% of the original battery capacity. This warranty covers repairs needed to return battery capacity to 70% of original battery capacity. If possible, the EV battery components will be repaired or replaced, and the original EV Battery will be returned to the vehicle. If necessary, the EV Battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery. Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Capacity Coverage may not return your Lithium-Ion Battery to an “as new” condition with the original 100% battery capacity. However, it will provide the vehicle with an EV Battery capacity of at least 70% of the original battery capacity.
http://www.kia.com/us/k3/content/media/all/warranty/2015_warranty_soul-ev.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm definitely interested in the Soul as a replacement for my Leaf. I sat in one at the NY Auto Show this past spring, I thought the interior was nice and roomy. My only concern is that the car is launching in CA this year, and "East Coast markets" (which includes NY, I assume, since we are a CARB state) in 2015...my lease is up in April, so hopefully before then? The woman at the car show said they are expecting the car to be in the $20k range, but I'd take that with a grain of salt -- I'm not sure who she actually worked for. I'm also a bit disappointed with the color choices, I'm not really into the two-tone look.

pkulak said:
... even the 60kw ones around here start at 44 or so and start to taper down very quickly. Staying above 50 for the whole charge would make a pretty decent difference.

The chargers only ramp down because the car controls the charge rate.

Even if there was a 100kW with a Nissan LEAF plugged in, the LEAF would charge at exactly the same profile as it does on a 50kW one.

I know that the one we drove in with the 4 of was great! (wonder if I can post the video again now??)

This is really going to push Nissan and the others for improvement.

Great job Kia!

TonyWilliams said:
pkulak said:
... even the 60kw ones around here start at 44 or so and start to taper down very quickly. Staying above 50 for the whole charge would make a pretty decent difference.

The chargers only ramp down because the car controls the charge rate.

Even if there was a 100kW with a Nissan LEAF plugged in, the LEAF would charge at exactly the same profile as it does on a 50kW one.
If you think Leaf traction packs are susceptible to premature range loss now, can you imagine how many people would fry their batteries if the car didn't throttle down charge rate as it approached 100% ?

You can see the Soul in a short video at the beginning of our local EV meeting (Sacev.org)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rBawxJyfQI&list=UUnLIQ1taqUOPZ9TQRvKCfZQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and some comments by the CARB speaker, I guess about 30 minutes

EVSplusSOLAR.org

Valdemar said:
So far this looks like the best BEV package that will be on the market this Fall. Too bad it will be another Kia Soul. The main question remains - how much?

another compliance car so not very many I am afraid... Oh! is that not what you are asking??

ok then the answer is more likely to be "not available in your area at ANY PRICE!"

**edit** ok so u r in CA which means you can buy it so just ignore my comments and color me jeal...
no wait. sorry but I predict it to be out of my price range. I am good. Maybe in 2-3 years when Kia pulls their head out, I'll look into it

Devin said:
If money spent on advertising is any indication of corporate desire to move product, then I'd say this bodes well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYWHsOeDf3M[/youtube]

CG hamsters aren't cheap.

Edit: They also call out Toyota and Honda for killing the RAV4 and Fit EV: http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/ev-faqs/ev-shopping/comparing-evs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:

Also, they're beating Nissan's capacity warranty...

The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery (“EV Battery”) Capacity warranty coverage period is 10 years or 100,000 miles from the Date of First Service, whichever comes first, for capacity loss below 70% of the original battery capacity. This warranty covers repairs needed to return battery capacity to 70% of original battery capacity. If possible, the EV battery components will be repaired or replaced, and the original EV Battery will be returned to the vehicle. If necessary, the EV Battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery. Any repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery Capacity Coverage may not return your Lithium-Ion Battery to an “as new” condition with the original 100% battery capacity. However, it will provide the vehicle with an EV Battery capacity of at least 70% of the original battery capacity.
http://www.kia.com/us/k3/content/media/all/warranty/2015_warranty_soul-ev.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ok, so the hot chick is left out. funny way of saying "seats 4"

that's just silly...

so the front J1772 and CHAdeMO ports are exposed? Just the caps that cover the ports?

I didn't see any front cover unless it slides in from the side/not shown? I'd like to see how that will work out over time and the elements.

finman100 said:
that's just silly...

so the front J1772 and CHAdeMO ports are exposed? Just the caps that cover the ports?

I didn't see any front cover unless it slides in from the side/not shown? I'd like to see how that will work out over time and the elements.
Yeah, the cover seems to pop out and slide over. Here's a little animation of it: http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2015/experience?story=charge&chapter=overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They just updated the whole Soul EV website a couple days ago with tons more pictures and details galore. It's probably the best marketing site I've seen for an EV other than Tesla's. http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2015/experience?story=hello" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the video and animation! Seems a bit...fragile? I'm not sure how sturdy that could be. I think a nice slider...a power slider, would be cool. maybe even a clear, power, sliding panel with blue LED backlighting.

Back