Official Mercedes B-class EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive Quietly Pushed Back To Summer 2014, Won’t Be Nationwide Until 2015 (no real surprise with the battery shortage)

b-class-at-nauna.jpg

http://insideevs.com/mercedes-b-cla...ack-to-summer-2014-not-nationwide-until-2015/

redLEAF said:
Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive Quietly Pushed Back To Summer 2014, Won’t Be Nationwide Until 2015 (no real surprise with the battery shortage)
http://insideevs.com/mercedes-b-cla...ack-to-summer-2014-not-nationwide-until-2015/
Yeah, I called both local Mercedes dealers about the B-Class EV a couple of weeks ago and they were clueless, "What? An electric motor? I didn't know Mercedes made hybrids". I had almost the exact conversion at a Ford dealership a couple of months before the Focus EV shipped (except he said they already had a hybrid Focus with an electric motor).

So it sounds a lot like the roll out for the Ford Focus EV, I would expect the first B-Class cars to appear Q4 2014 with rollout to the rest of the country second half of 2015.

padamson1 said:
Yeah, I called both local Mercedes dealers about the B-Class EV a couple of weeks ago and they were clueless, "What? An electric motor? I didn't know Mercedes made hybrids".
Hilarious. Mercedes currently sells a S and E class hybrid (http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/green/hybrid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

There was also the ill-fated two mode hybrid SUV (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1066348_graveyard-grows-rip-bmw-hybrid-x6-mercedes-ml-450-hybrid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I thought a cheaper non-two mode SUV came up to replace it, but can't find info on it right now.

I was at the auto show in Los Angelese today. Lot more ev options out there in the very near future.

I was really impressed with the Mercedes B-Electric. In fact, I'm practically drooling.

I love my Leaf. But the B styling and 35Kwh battery is sure tempting - an EPA range of 116. As I get about 25% more than EPA on my Leaf, that would suggest closer to 140 mile range, which at an 80% charge would be a very comfortable 112 miles.

Anyone from Canada that can speak to the build quality of the B? I'm familiar with C, E, SLK and ML and from that would extrapolate that I would be very happy with the B.

It sounds like it will be a 2015, perhaps available late 2014. Since I tend to avoid the first 2 years' production, I guess I will be on the market for one in 2017.

I was disappointed with the i3. I had already test-driven the Focus EV, Smart EV and Spark EV, and I didn't see anything new from those guys. If you like the Fiat, then I guess that EV was nice, but I don't like the Fiat 500 - personal taste issue.

Since I want 3rd year production run, I figure only those currently at shows will be available for me by 2017. For my needs and taste, my next EV would be the Leaf II, B or a future Tesla (not at the show for some reason) and the Tesla only if the price comes down to under $60k well equipped.

Yeah, I saw it on the show floor in LA. It's on my short list for June 2015, when my current lease expires.

The range and the Tesla tech sounds good, though the Rav4 EVs have had some troubles, and they have Tesla inside. The Mercedes sounds like it will be pretty quick and I like the adjustable regen via steering wheel paddles. I'm going to have a problem getting over the minivan body lines, though. I really want a quick, good looking sports EV for less than Tesla prices, but nobody is building one. :cry:

+1

I actually got to see it and look through it extensively when they were shooting a commercial next door to me at work, and liked what I saw...

Boomer23 said:
Yeah, I saw it on the show floor in LA. It's on my short list for June 2015, when my current lease expires.

gsleaf said:
I still don't get why anyone thinks putting the charge port in the rear of the vehicle makes any sense.

I don't either, but didn't Tesla do that on the Model S? They could have put it anywhere.

Yeah I've wondered about the fact that each manufacturer has decided upon a different location. Fortunately, I went with an evse with a decent cable length and located it at a spot where it will barely work to have both the Leaf and the B in the garage. I will only be able to charge 1 at a time, but at L2, I don't believe that will be a problem.

Had the B put it in front of the driver like the Volt, I would have to shuffle the cars to charge both.

The challenge for me might be to abide by my doctrine of waiting until 3rd production year.

Observed a Canadian B-Class while wine tasting in central Washington this past weekend. The owner was kind enough to let me sit in the front and back. Even though it is shorter than the LEAF, it looks bigger and certainly is bigger on the inside, especially in the back seat. Given this will be the platform for the EV, I'd have to say I think the Mercedes will be my next EV if they are available after my lease expires next year.

As I posted earlier the local Mercedes dealers are totally oblivious to an EV Mercedes coming anytime soon and have no information on the car. At least the local BMW guys have some info I am hoping that they get training this spring/summer so that they can answer some questions about how this car will actually be equipped. For instance, whether Mercedes will put a J1772 receptacle in the US model or sell an adapter.

it has a J1772. I saw the car at my work location while getting a charge using our Blink. Pictures were posted at insideevs.com

Back