Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
iPlug said:
palmermd said:
I got the same text. 3/29 at 3:30pm, so almost exactly one day late from the 2-4 week estimate.

I was at the Rocklin store when I placed my order. What a fun day that was. Almost exactly 3 years ago.
SR? Any options?
So, for both of you with SR orders, I am curious to know if you'll end up getting pushed to a later unknown date and upsell in the meantime to SR+?

I came across https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26948744/tesla-model-3-deliveries-delays/. The piece pointed to https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sr-not-plus-waiting-room.146897/ which I'd seen recently.

FWIW, right now, if you go to https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#battery, SR has an estimated delivery of 6 to 8 weeks while all the other choices claim within 2 weeks.
My delivery was changed from this Friday to some unknown date on my dashboard. So I will not be getting my car on Friday as indicated last week. The delivery would have been one day late on the original 2-4 weeks from when I configured my order. I was super pleased with that as I did not expect them to meet it, and I also did not expect to be able to configure until mid year. But now that they took my money and promised 4 week delivery and then switched to an unknown number which will likely be 16 weeks after I configured I'm a bit upset with them. I have not been asked to upgrade. I tried to call and ask what was happening but I was on hold for 45 minutes when I had to hang up for some other business I had to attend.

I'm not going to upgrade and I'll keep waiting. It all sort of fits with my original expectations for delivery.

Since I'm back to expecting a 4th of July delivery they have a chance at beating expectations again.

palmermd said:
cwerdna said:
iPlug said:
SR? Any options?
So, for both of you with SR orders, I am curious to know if you'll end up getting pushed to a later unknown date and upsell in the meantime to SR+?

I came across https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26948744/tesla-model-3-deliveries-delays/. The piece pointed to https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sr-not-plus-waiting-room.146897/ which I'd seen recently.

FWIW, right now, if you go to https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#battery, SR has an estimated delivery of 6 to 8 weeks while all the other choices claim within 2 weeks.
My delivery was changed from this Friday to some unknown date on my dashboard. So I will not be getting my car on Friday as indicated last week. The delivery would have been one day late on the original 2-4 weeks from when I configured my order. I was super pleased with that as I did not expect them to meet it, and I also did not expect to be able to configure until mid year. But now that they took my money and promised 4 week delivery and then switched to an unknown number which will likely be 16 weeks after I configured I'm a bit upset with them. I have not been asked to upgrade. I tried to call and ask what was happening but I was on hold for 45 minutes when I had to hang up for some other business I had to attend.

I'm not going to upgrade and I'll keep waiting. It all sort of fits with my original expectations for delivery.

Since I'm back to expecting a 4th of July delivery they have a chance at beating expectations again.

This is likely good news indicating higher demand and based on daily delivery numbers outside the US and other strong indicators. Are you getting an SR? The enhanced is a great deal.

palmermd said:
cwerdna said:
iPlug said:
SR? Any options?

Sorry to hear that. Thought Tesla had reached a turning point in delivering the SR M3, given the overall M3 weakening demand.
Tesla is probably only willing to move a limited number of $35K M3s at marginal profitability, i.e. limit the hit to Q1.

More likely, Tesla probably now has a positive cash flow position from taking $35K SR M3 reservations based on 2-4 week
deliveries, which now has changed to late Q2 for those same reservations, deja vu 2016.

lorenfb said:
palmermd said:
cwerdna said:

Sorry to hear that. Thought Tesla had reached a turning point in delivering the SR M3, given the overall M3 weakening demand.
Tesla is probably only willing to move a limited number of $35K M3s at marginal profitability, i.e. limit the hit to Q1.

So glad you are concerned for M3 owners. We all need your support and concern and we are glad you always "jump" in to help and set the record straight in this thread and always at the right opportunity. I'm sorry the M3 won't meet your design spec and we will all petition Tesla to make the 3 of your dreams. Let's all hope this Tesla insanity does not continue.

EVDRIVER said:
So glad you are concerned for M3 owners. We all need your support and concern and we are glad you always "jump" in to help and set the record straight in this thread and always at the right opportunity..
:lol: :lol:

lorenfb said:

More likely, Tesla probably now has a positive cash flow position from taking $35K SR M3 reservations based on 2-4 week
deliveries, which now has changed to late Q2 for those same reservations, deja vu the 2016 scam.

lorenfb said:
lorenfb said:

deliveries, which now has changed to late Q2 for those same reservations, deja vu the 2016 scam.

Ha ha ha ha! .... Ha ha ha ha!

And that's why they raised prices of all their non-SR cars right?! To drive UP demand for their more expensive products?!

News flash for you, customer deposits do NOT count towards cash flow. They only affect the balance sheet, and it's usually recorded as both an asset (because they received it) and liability (because it's not really their money yet).

I really feel you should hang around a different crowd, because you seem to honestly believe that Tesla is the liar and all your friends/sources only tell the truth.

lorenfb said:
lorenfb said:

Please give up, you have no idea what you are talking about 95% of the time you discuss Tesla. You sound like one of the Tesla shorts.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
News flash for you, customer deposits do NOT count towards cash flow. They only affect the balance sheet, and it's usually recorded as both an asset (because they received it) and liability (because it's not really their money yet).

I think you are missing his meaning. He should have said cash position, rather than cash flow. Cash received and sitting in their bank accounts does have a big impact on bill payments, interest earned/saved as they can now borrow less, and irritating things like bank covenant compliance. His statement is basically true when you realize what he is saying. They have received significant influx of cash as a result of this move. Whether they did so with nefarious motives is his speculation which can be reasonably questioned. I'm fairly certain they have enough lawyers that they worded the deal so it is a long shot to claim they scammed anyone.

palmermd said:
My delivery was changed from this Friday to some unknown date on my dashboard.

Sorry to hear this. Please keep us updated as you learn more. This model at that price point is very appealing. Hopefully they will get caught up and delivering more timely very shortly.

DarthPuppy said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

I think you are missing his meaning. He should have said cash position, rather than cash flow. Cash received and sitting in their bank accounts does have a big impact on bill payments, interest earned/saved as they can now borrow less, and irritating things like bank covenant compliance. His statement is basically true when you realize what he is saying. They have received significant influx of cash as a result of this move. Whether they did so with nefarious motives is his speculation which can be reasonably questioned. I'm fairly certain they have enough lawyers that they worded the deal so it is a long shot to claim they scammed anyone.

Thanks for your comment.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
lorenfb said:
lorenfb said:

And that's why they raised prices of all their non-SR cars right?! To drive UP demand for their more expensive products?!

Seriously doubt that demand has increased significantly to justify a price increase now, given Tesla's poor M3 sales since the end
of 2018 and their excess inventory. It's highly likely that Elon realizes that he needs to minimize the Q1 & future Q2 losses, and
that the lower prices of the last few months really didn't increase demand to offset the lower margins. Remember, Tesla products
are basically inelastic, e.g. a Rolex watch, in that small changes in the price have a marginal effect on demand.

lorenfb said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
lorenfb said:

Seriously doubt that demand has increased significantly to justify a price increase now, given Tesla's poor M3 sales since the end
of 2018 and their excess inventory. It's highly likely that Elon realizes that he needs to minimize the Q1 & future Q2 losses, and
that the lower prices of the last few months really didn't increase demand to offset the lower margins. Remember, Tesla products
are basically inelastic, e.g. a Rolex watch, in that small changes in the price have a marginal effect on demand.

You don't seem to be capable of any introspection?!
I was pointing out how self-contradictory your claims are. I made no claims about demand increasing, so you can save your words.

But just so you know, my opinion is that the halving of the federal tax credit did pull orders forward into q4, so a drop in Q1 domestic orders is natural. As more buyers come into the market needing a new/replacement vehicle (that's why vehicle sales can be 17+ million a year, because not everyone buys at the same time), the orders for non-SR model 3's will rise back up to it's steady-state/natural level. Once the EV tax credit has fully expired, buying behavior would become more even like model S and model X sales.

The introduction of the SR was to validate the idea that Tesla can deliver a $39k base model Y, and that the base model 3 isn't vaporware. Pushing deliveries back a few months is either a sign of demand for the short-range, or a sign that the short-range battery production line isn't going at full speed yet. It's too early to know, nor does it matter, since those customers will eventually get their cars.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
The introduction of the SR was to validate the idea that Tesla can deliver a $39k base model Y
Says who?

Elon in at the unveil of the 3 in 2016 claimed the price would be $35,000. Eventually, at the end of July 2017, they claimed the $35K version would be available for ordering in November 2017 and
Additional configurations, including the Model 3 with standard equipment for $35,000, will become available as production ramps, which we expect to be in November 2017.

We are shipping our first cars to employees now and expect to begin shipping the Long Range Battery configuration to customers in late October. The Standard Battery configuration will be available very soon thereafter.
I pointed this out at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18016&p=549396&hilit=price+%2435%2C000#p549396 and probably numerous other times here at MNL.

Despite all the noise about now available $35K Model 3, Tesla did not deliver a single one and folks who ordered have neither VIN assigned nor any information when it would be delivered at all. So it looks like $35K Model 3 is still a fairy-tell.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Pushing deliveries back a few months is either a sign of demand for the short-range, or a sign that the short-range battery production line isn't going at full speed yet. It's too early to know, nor does it matter, since those customers will eventually get their cars.

Your guess, have another? Your guessing tends to obfuscate the real issue, that a $35K M3 is basically not profitable
now. Remember just a few months ago Elon stated that the M3 cost was $38K. Even with all the overhead cost reductions,
e.g. sales operations, a $35K M3 has still resulted in being basically unprofitable in Q1 of 2019. Again as usual, it's all about
generating more reservations:

1. announce availability of the M3 at $35K in Q1 of 2019 and re-build interest
2. announce deliveries in a few weeks
3. start taking another round of reservations
4. wait a few weeks for reservations to accumulate
5. move $35K deliveries to future quarters, or don't even re-schedule
6. attempt to convert $35K reservations to higher priced M3s

Have many totally forgotten what happen just three years ago?

SageBrush said:
SalisburySam said:
I can understand if you’re in parts of Canada where CHAdeMO chargers far outnumber Superchargers
That is indeed his situation. The thing is though, it does not take more than a handful of Superchargers to open up a large area to Tesla ownership so between that possibility and Tesla coming out with a CHAdeMO adapter, he is wise to wait as long as he can. He can also consider a 2 or 3 year lease of a non Tesla EV to extend the waiting game.

I find that situation seems to only apply to "driving thru" with actual regional travel hampered when the destination does not have an SC on route.

After owning my Model 3 for 3 weeks and having taken 3 road trips that would be impossible in any other EV, I can safely say I would not consider any other vehicle if I had to replace my Model 3 due to a total loss collision or similar circumstance. In those 3 weeks my car has new and better features than it had when I purchased it. It is the best vehicle I've ever owned, it's the best vehicle I've ever driven (although I did like the X a lot.) The Tesla haters here simply are jealous, as near as I can tell. :D

Durandal said:
After owning my Model 3 for 3 weeks and having taken 3 road trips that would be impossible in any other EV, I can safely say I would not consider any other vehicle if I had to replace my Model 3 due to a total loss collision or similar circumstance. In those 3 weeks my car has new and better features than it had when I purchased it. It is the best vehicle I've ever owned, it's the best vehicle I've ever driven (although I did like the X a lot.) The Tesla haters here simply are jealous, as near as I can tell. :D

Stop, demand is down, the SR model is not profitable, don't you read this? All other EVs are outselling the 3. Cars are burning in junk yards and your 3 looks like a Chevy Malibu! You will likely burn up in your car from the heat of the glass roof. Are you insane? You should have bought a used Forester! I sold my Tesla after reading this thread and you should too. Tesla is even trying to up sell customers, have you ever heard of any such practice EVER?

I can see a Tesla in my future but I am patiently waiting until we have enough data about their battery issues and repair costs past 8 year warranty as it may have drastic effect on resale values. I know Elon was working hard to make the impression that they make a magic battery that will never need replacement but we all know it can't be true. Also anyone checked Tesla CPO inventory lately? Seems there isn't a lack of S models under $40k being offered.

Back