Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zythryn said:
I don't think there will be fewer "sensationalized" headlines no matter what Tesla does.
PR people at companies like Tesla get paid to influence the headlines. They don't sit back and say we can't do anything about it.

The Model 3 is not a Camry competitor, it is a BMW 3 series competitor.
And if you are expecting the first Model 3s off the line to cost $35k, get ready for disappointment, as they will cost more than that.

It is not a question of my expectations. What we are talking about here is what we think Tesla should do - so if our logic is good, that is likely what Tesla will do.

Sure, the base Model will be $35k, or possibly even $35k in 2013 dollars. The people that put down the first deposits though will likely be people that wanted lots of options.
And most likely, their will be a signature edition, in which case, those will carry a higher price.
If it was in 2013 dollars, Musk won't continue to tweet $35k. He won't say things like, 3 costs less than Bolt. If you think you have figured out Musk - you will be surprised.

And no - the people who want to put money down early are not all options folks (you can check various threads in TMC).

It is all a question of optics. GM is already trying to paint Bolt as the car for masses vs Tesla for elites. Tesla execs even responded to that - so they are keen not to have that badge hung around their necks.

DanCar said:
That stubby hood won't be as aerodynamic as the Model S.

A) It isn't a Model 3.

B) It is from an odd angle which would make any hood look shorter.

This was at a European store. Not likely somewhere Tesla would have a Model 3 prototype.

Zythryn said:
This was at a European store. Not likely somewhere Tesla would have a Model 3 prototype.
Agreed. But, what the heck is it? You wouldn't think they'd have a Saleen prototype at a European warehouse either.

It may not have even been a Tesla.
Perhaps it was a customer, or trade in, or employee's?

Not with that windshield angle. They also don't park a car like this in the open. I say nonsense.

garsh said:
Zythryn said:
Agreed. But, what the heck is it? You wouldn't think they'd have a Saleen prototype at a European warehouse either.

My first thought is that it belongs to an employee. It's an odd place to park, but then again it's next to a charger. Maybe they simply charge their BMW X-Drive during the work day.

Another possibility is that Tesla purchased a competitor's EV in orderto reverse engineer it and to see what they are up to. That is not unheard of in the auto industry.

EVDRIVER said:
I think it's an ICE, does not matter where it's parked.

Except that it's indoors, on the factory floor. That's an odd place for an employee to park, don't you think? Normally they have parking lots for employees. Outdoors.

GetOffYourGas said:
EVDRIVER said:

Except that it's indoors, on the factory floor. That's an odd place for an employee to park, don't you think? Normally they have parking lots for employees. Outdoors.

Not odd at all, who says it's an employee car. Common sense says this car would NEVER be parked out in the open unless it was an intentional leak with the bad composition and person conveniently walking in the background. It's laughable to think the car would just be sitting out there like that anymore than Apple would leave a new iphone on the reception desk at their office.

EVDRIVER said:
GetOffYourGas said:
EVDRIVER said:

Not odd at all, who says it's an employee car. Common sense says this car would NEVER be parked out in the open unless it was an intentional leak with the bad composition and person conveniently walking in the background. It's laughable to think the car would just be sitting out there like that anymore than Apple would leave a new iphone on the reception desk at their office.

I agree that it seems absurd that a Model III prototype would just be sitting out in the open like that. I never said that it was an employee's car, just that was my first thought. But if it's not an employee car, what is it? Is it a competitor's that they are analyzing?

To me, it looks like a BMW X5 xDrive40e. BMW is a known target of Tesla's, as they are hoping to target the BMW 3-series with their Model III.

And yes, that is all 100% speculation on my part. I don't know what the car is, but a Model III prototype seems extremely unlikely.

GetOffYourGas said:
But if it's not an employee car, what is it? Is it a competitor's that they are analyzing?

Did you follow the link and actually read the accompanying text? The speculation is that it's a Saleen modified Model S at a particular angle and they have some pictures to back that up.

I have to agree that it's highly unlikely that a Model 3 prototype would be just sitting out there in the open like that in the Netherlands. Plus I suspect that at this point any prototypes that do exist are either very early engineering prototypes that probably would have no bearing on the final vehicle anyway.

I don't even think it's worth discussing, it's not the car IMO and never would be based on basic logic. Next....

DNAinaGoodWay said:
How about the second car at the reveal.

Tesla is planning 2 versions of its $35,000 Model 3 - Business Insider
https://apple.news/A2EblQO6yQ7K0ervFuboKvg

No, they are not.
Per your link, an independent writer is speculating that there will be a second car.
Eventually Tesla will have another model based on Model 3. I don't believe they will have two models at the reveal.
They may make mention of a future model, but certainly it won't be at the same stage of development.

May be. May be not. This link suggests it could be the model Y, based on the same platform, so, could be. Now, which one should I reserve?
Model 3 surprise: Tesla is preparing to announce 2 vehicles in March - Electrek
https://apple.news/AdxZsQzKPOiCA_HYv-KByxA

More pictures... If accurate, I very much like the look!

http://www.thepeak.fm/james-sutton/2016/01/27/teslas-model-iii-goes-320km-per-charge-and-costs-35000

TomT said:
More pictures... If accurate, I very much like the look!

http://www.thepeak.fm/james-sutton/2016/01/27/teslas-model-iii-goes-320km-per-charge-and-costs-35000

The red car is the original Model S show demonstration car, the last one is just a Model S production with different wheels and I'm not sure what the second car is, but looks like a concept from someone. These Tesla concept renderings from independent graphic artists keep showing up because they know it will help with getting "clicks". I would not put any confidence in it being anything. Go to TMC if you want to see dozens of these renderings. We'll see what Tesla has in mind in a few months when the do their reveal.

edit: Ok, so I went a took a quick look at the site named on the second photo, and it has an article about scooping the Model 3. Well, if you look at all their past articles they also had scoop images of the Model X, and all their renderings were wrong, which confirms my original hunch that these guys are just making it up to get clicks.

Back