Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
Owner enthusiast video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QweNsLesMrM[/youtube]

-Phil

awesome commercial!

interesting that Tesla offers the quick charge as an option on the S 60 but the stations are too far apart for the car under any circumstances.

ebill3 said:
Interesting. Thanks for the pointer!

This is what happens when one trusts a GOM and when you give writers who don't own EVs a car to test. I'm sure the trip would've gone better if it weren't done in winter.

I'm also guessing he lost a lot of juice overnight partly due to the car's known pretty big parasitic drain when left turned "off", before a software update (which I hear is problematic, in itself due to its side effects/other bugs).

cwerdna said:
ebill3 said:
Interesting. Thanks for the pointer!

This is what happens when one trusts a GOM and when you give writers who don't own EVs a car to test. I'm sure the trip would've gone better if it weren't done in winter.

I'm also guessing he lost a lot of juice overnight partly due to the car's known pretty big parasitic drain when left turned "off", before a software update (which I hear is problematic, in itself due to its side effects/other bugs).

What magic software is going to is going to mitigate the effects of cold on the battery? It takes power from the battery to run the TMS all night -or- you wake up to a really cold battery with reduced capacity.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ingineer said:
Owner enthusiast video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QweNsLesMrM[/youtube]

-Phil

awesome commercial!

interesting that Tesla offers the quick charge as an option on the S 60 but the stations are too far apart for the car under any circumstances.

Well if I lived within 10 miles of one and/or one was less than 2 milles away from my daily commute route I'd be happy to use it for free charging after paying out the wazoo for the car.

I suppose if they put them in heavily populated areas there will be a few buyers that might think like that.

tbleakne said:
What interior color are folks choosing for their Model-S ? The tan leather would seem to clash with most colors except red. The black looks good with most colors, but might it get hot in summer? Does anyone like the gray. I would think a dark gray might be nice, but the web site seems to show a light gray. How about the basic, non-leather, interior ?
I'm getting the (light) gray leather with the (dark) gray exterior. It looks great online, though i haven't seen it in person yet, but I'll know in about a month...

EDIT: Oops, I said leather twice, when I meant exterior...

TonyWilliams said:
What magic software is going to is going to mitigate the effects of cold on the battery? It takes power from the battery to run the TMS all night -or- you wake up to a really cold battery with reduced capacity.
Nothing, but that's why I said partly. There was a known high parasitic drain prior to one of the updates adding a sleep mode.

It's best to plug in the Model S at any opportunity, even 120V would keep the pack from losing range; it won't add much, in cold temperatures we are having in the Northeast now, the rate is 2 miles/hour on 120V. In my garage (which is not heated, but is insulated), I lose about 10 miles overnight.. If you turn on the cabin heater with the remote app and the car is plugged in, it will likely start recharging and using some of that energy for the cabin and pack heater.

TonyWilliams said:
There was also a bug that increased parasitic load on S's early on.

tbleakne said:
What interior color are folks choosing for their Model-S ? The tan leather would seem to clash with most colors except red. The black looks good with most colors, but might it get hot in summer? Does anyone like the gray. I would think a dark gray might be nice, but the web site seems to show a light gray. How about the basic, non-leather, interior ?

I'm going with the light gray leather (performance version), carbon fibre interior accents and blue exterior with dark gray wheels. I do not like tan/brown colors and the black is much too dark for me (feels cramped). The gray is perfect in my opinion, very similar to the light gray cloth seats in our Leaf (which we also like a lot).

DaveinOlyWA said:
awesome commercial!

???

I might be wrong about this, but the stations are spaced 150 miles apart and the 60 kWh model has an EPA range of 210 mi.

Woke up at 5AM with a serious case of Teslainsomnia this morning. Got a call two days ago that our S showed up in Bellevue, unannounced with a shipment of cars. It is right within our delivery window but no 10 day notice. Luckily we have been preparing. We got out from under the sinking residual value ship that was our Leaf purchase 8 days ago, converted to a 2 year Lease, wiped out the loan with the trade in, picked up a sweet deal on a close out 2012, the same model leaf but in Silver at the SL trim level, all with no money out of pocket accept to pay to move the vanity tags over, a small miracle compared to the $22.5K of debt we were saddled with. On Tuesday, after detailing the crap out of our hybrid highlnader, we got an above KBB offer from a woman in Idaho off of craig's list. The deal was papered by her relatives here in Edmonds, rather unconventional but it all worked out. Walked the cashier's check into BECU's reguional branch where they can release holds instantly if they can verify funds... dowm payment for the S secured! Two days ago applied for financing through Bank of America (never had a good thing to say about BofA until now) on line, within an hour we were approved, within another hour an agent was assigned to our account, called us and began one of the most heroic attempts to get us final papers and rush cut us a check and get it to Fed EX with hours to spare yesterday afternoon for a Saturday delivery (they don't usually pay the extra for the saturday delivery but made an exception for us!). So, here we are, it's too early Saturday morning, I'm wide awake, the check is on route via plane as we speak... "when all through the house not a creature is stirring, not even a mouse", It's quite possible I'm more excited than I was on Christmas morning when I was a kid and with all the things that have come together to make this happen, it's practically a miracle, I almost believe in Santa again! :~)

The car: Performance 85kWh, Metallic grey, grey leather interior, heated seats, carbon fiber accents, silver 21" rotary blade rims, panoramic sun roof, 550 W sound upgrade, tech package, twin chargers, child seats and High Powered Wall Charger for medium fast charging (62 miles an hour!) reserved 7/4/2012, reservation number #10,072, Vin 4605, delivery 2/9/13!

We are leaving the kids with a sitter for the pick up and I don't know when we'll be coming back, LOL!

We are feeling very happy that we found a way to get out from under our Leaf, it made it possible to stay with the Leaf as a Lease and complete the transition to a 100% net solar pure EV home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GaslessInSeattle said:
The car: Performance 85kWh, Metallic grey, grey leather interior, heated seats, carbon fiber accents, silver 21" rotary blade rims, panoramic sun roof, 550 W sound upgrade, tech package, twin chargers, child seats and High Powered Wall Charger for medium fast charging (62 miles an hour!) reserved 7/4/2012, reservation number #10,072, Vin 4605, delivery 2/9/13!

We are leaving the kids with a sitter for the pick up and I don't know when we'll be coming back, LOL!

We are feeling very happy that we found a way to get out from under our Leaf, it made it possible to stay with the Leaf as a Lease and complete the transition to a 100% net solar pure EV home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats, wonder if you planning cross country trip, or not sure where you will end up enjoying your new guilt free car

NotTarts said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
awesome commercial!

???

I might be wrong about this, but the stations are spaced 150 miles apart and the 60 kWh model has an EPA range of 210 mi.

didnt see the story did you ?

GaslessInSeattle said:
Congratulations! You do sound like a kid on Christmas morning! Enjoy!

LATimes on Tesla S:
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-autos-review-tesla-20130209,0,6028264.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GaslessInSeattle said:
Woke up at 5AM with a serious case of Teslainsomnia this morning. Got a call two days ago that our S showed up in Bellevue, unannounced with a shipment of cars.
Great news - happy for you, enjoy. :D

Must admit, however, that I'm a bit chagrined. I have a VIN that is over 150 lower, and no car! :(
From VIN posts in the Tesla forums, it looks like they are pushing out a batch of performance ahead of non-performance, including me.

Bill

GaslessInSeattle said:

Congrats. Your situation is much like mine. I am also underwater on my LEAF but don't want another one as a way out. Would like to get a Tesla with the big battery so I can use the heat and could afford a lot of capacity loss for my commute.

I like the configuration you chose as well. Have fun. If you are ever in Seattle's South End and see a dirty black LEAF with fogged up windows and a guy bundled up like an eskimo, it is likely me.

I for one was not tempted by a Tesla ever. its simply out of my price range and with new unexpected bills, a purchase of a LEAF is out of my price range as well. looks like i b a leaser for the time being.

although, I have managed to juggle the two cars to utilize the LEAF as much as possible, i would like to have another 20 miles of range. Not that I have lost much, but beginning to come up with too many trips that are 10 miles outside my "very conservative" driving range especially in Winter.

the cold I can deal with. I grew up in a household where it was frequently cold to save on energy. I think back to my time in Alaska (thermostat set at 55º) and never felt cold but it was all relative since it was 25 below outside.

now, when I drive the gas car, it seems unbearably hot. I am constantly adjusting the heater (even when fan speed is set to zero, the air still blows...)

This week, I drove 86 miles one day in the LEAF because Semaconnect had a charger AT my destination. too cool but also took gas car on trip of 74 miles because there is no charging option (Fife being down screwed me on this!)

so a Tesla would be awesome, but its only a pipe dream to me. it is now and forever out of my price range. but fear not. this will change and sooner than we think because there are longer range cars at a lower price that will be out soon. this is not speculation

Back