Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zythryn said:
I have to say I loved the implementation of parking sensors!
Boy, would I love to have them on the front - I have a terrible time judging where that nose is. :( If I had to choose between front and rear, I'd opt for the front.

... of course I guess I would have expected it BUT, on the subject of the Tesla S; I was talking to my Allstate agent as we'll be adding another car soon (for my son) so wanted to do the whole trial scenarios (he's deciding between a '12 Golf R, '13 GTI and '14 Fiesta ST; Fiesta ST just coming into dealer's around here now); it was amazing how different these 3 are but how close they are to insure; basically within $20 / 6 months. Anyway, my agent asked how our LEAF was doing for us and volunteered some info that he had one of his customers add a Tesla S to their policy and the rate was going to be about $1,300 / every 6 months ... granted it's a $100+K car, with new tech, etc. --- in comparison that's almost $1K more than the 'net' to us to add this car overall but still --- as always, if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. Seeing more and more these around lately so more than a few must be flushed with some cash ... but be prepared for the higher insurance rates as well

redLEAF said:
... my agent asked how our LEAF was doing for us and volunteered some info that he had one of his customers add a Tesla S to their policy and the rate was going to be about $1,300 / every 6 months ... granted it's a $100+K car, with new tech, etc. --- in comparison that's almost $1K more than the 'net' to us to add this car overall but still --- as always, if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. Seeing more and more these around lately so more than a few must be flushed with some cash ... but be prepared for the higher insurance rates as well

Not necessarily. I'm paying $5/6 months more than we did on our Volt which was the same cost as our former Prius.

Of course, ours is not a $100,000 car but a $75,000 car and is not the performance model.
I am sure the performance model may cost more to insure. Moral of the sorry is to shop around for insurance.

ebill3 said:
Zythryn said:
Moral of the sorry is to shop around for insurance.
Boy, you have that right. When I was comparing, Allstate was flat out of the question. Stuck with USAA.
Yep, my Model S is dirt cheap to insure through Progressive.

Best NHSTA rating ever:)
http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-model-s-achieves-best-safety-rating-any-car-ever-tested" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ebill3 said:
Zythryn said:
Moral of the sorry is to shop around for insurance.
Boy, you have that right. When I was comparing, Allstate was flat out of the question. Stuck with USAA.
Talk about YMMV. After years with USAA I'm with Allstate now. Based on the premiums quoted by USAA recently if I didn't know better I'd think everyone there was on crack.

Zythryn said:
http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-model-s-achieves-best-safety-rating-any-car-ever-tested" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't doubt it for a second.

However, as much as it's great to be in a Tesla S if you're unfortunate enough to be in an accident, it really sucks to be hit by a Tesla S. It might be preferable to be run over by a tank.

Since people are mentioning insurance, is this not a factor in liability coverage?

Berlino said:
Zythryn said:

I don't doubt it for a second.

However, as much as it's great to be in a Tesla S if you're unfortunate enough to be in an accident, it really sucks to be hit by a Tesla S. It might be preferable to be run over by a tank.

Since people are mentioning insurance, is this not a factor in liability coverage?

All I know is that I wouldn't want to be the LEAF in a LEAF vs Model S scenario.

BTW: went from LEAF to Model S --> insurance went up $100/year.

gaswalla said:
All I know is that I wouldn't want to be the LEAF in a LEAF vs Model S scenario.

Nor would I, though the LEAF is "only" out-weighed by roughly 50%. These poor souls were traveling an Accord, probably one of the safest cars available for less than $50,000, when a Model S veered into their lane.

9049734_448x252.jpg

http://www.teslamotors.com/fr_CA/forum/forums/tesla-vs-honda-head-collision

Berlino said:
These poor souls were traveling an Accord, probably one of the safest cars available for less than $50,000, when a Model S veered into their lane.
Good, now the world has another reason to hate EVs.

Veered into their lane? Was the driver farting around with something on the 17" screen?

LTLFTcomposite said:
Berlino said:
These poor souls were traveling an Accord, probably one of the safest cars available for less than $50,000, when a Model S veered into their lane.
Good, now the world has another reason to hate EVs.

Veered into their lane? Was the driver farting around with something on the 17" screen?

The driver reports they were forced into oncoming traffic by a Mercedes.
I suspect they were racing, but apparently the Mercedes driver threw something at the front windshield of the Model S.

Have not heard an update in quite a few months. Perhaps it is in court?

The Honda was an early 90s model. It wouldn't have done well in a head on against a Leaf, although obviously it would have done slightly better.

Zythryn said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Berlino said:
The Honda was an early 90s model. It wouldn't have done well in a head on against a Leaf, although obviously it would have done slightly better.
Obviously a late model car would have fared a lot better (the occupants would have been far more likely to have survived), but you still can't beat physics - the Model S weighs nearly 4,700 lbs - similar to your typical full-size SUV. That Accord weighs less than 3,000 lbs.

Zythryn said:
The Honda was an early 90s model.

Thanks, bad assumption on my part that the Accord was a recent model. Cars almost never last that long where I live. The early 90's was a period when a few manufacturers were still arguing that front airbags were unproven and that making them mandatory would only serve to increase costs.

To wit: "Even crashing into a wall is good news nowadays for Tesla Motors. Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the company a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory. While its five-star score across the board has been attained by other vehicles (around one percent of all cars tested are capable of such a score) its ratings in individual categories are higher than any other vehicle, including larger SUVs and minivans. What's really interesting is that part of the safety rating may be because the car is electric."

eshapir said:
Model S just received the highest safety ratings from the NHTSA for any car. More than all SUVs and Minivans.

Back