Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F10972FA-ADC6-4038-A535-736C18DB3DFF-2559-000002C28B9EAD5E.jpg

7E2379FB-33FD-4542-8FAC-F97291EFB774-2559-000002C75B82D1A6.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
I drove the Rav4 today, 85mph down the freeway (max speed in normal mode, sport mode is 100mph) for about 20 miles each way from an 80% charge. The GOM still said I had 44 miles left.
My daughter drove our new Rav4-EV from Palo Alto to Santa Cruz today. Total distance is 44.5 miles. Starts at 16 bars (100% SOC) with GOM reading of 114. Ends at 12 bars(75% SOC) with GOM reading of 80. All highway driving. Speed is 65 mph. As some of you 50% of the route on the freeway is very hilly (up and down).

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
I drove the Rav4 today, 85mph down the freeway (max speed in normal mode, sport mode is 100mph) for about 20 miles each way from an 80% charge. The GOM still said I had 44 miles left.
My daughter drove our new Rav4-EV from Palo Alto to Santa Cruz today. Total distance is 44.5 miles. Starts at 16 bars (100% SOC) with GOM reading of 114. Ends at 12 bars(75% SOC) with GOM reading of 80. All highway driving. Speed is 65 mph. As some of you 50% of the route on the freeway is very hilly (up and down).

any info on the parameters of the bars? do they all represent an equal amount of capacity? i like having more bars (to imply more accuracy?) but if they represent different capacities it would kind of defeat the purpose

Just my 2c: I think it's *UNFAIR* to call the DTE meter in the RAV4EV a "GOM" ! This term is reserved for the Nissan LEAF ... and any other EV that demonstrates incompetence in estimating your distance to empty :lol:

(from what I've read so far the RAV4 DTE instrument is MUCH better)

My "close to the bottom" comment was referencing the quality level of the GOM on the LEAF.

As far as performance, i would expect the RAV to have less than stellar stats. Bigger car, bigger battey and the extra weight that the TMS adds :)

Enjoying the reports, and of course a bit envious. Still quite happy with the LEAF for what I need and good to see that it doesn't suffer in all comparisons.

Though there are plenty of rough edges to EV rollout, I'm still hopeful that it will turn out to be analogous (As Tesla has long maintained) to the development of the PC.

In the PC world, the machine you just bought 6 months ago is already outclassed by newer entries. And yet it's far beyond the capabilities of any machine you could have bought 3 or 4 years prior at any price.

Now, wouldn't that be sweet! Sure I know Moore's Law doesn't necessarily extend to automobiles and it's not even a "Law" at all. But still hopeful that the EV market will take on some of that flavor. Seems to be moving in the right direction. Nissan could use some competition. :)

IBELEAF said:
2.6-2.7 is what I get in Volt right now
I would like to add a comment that the 3 miles per kWh we produced, is because we (our whole household) are experienced EV drivers. In the past 12 years of EV driving, we learn how to minimize voltage drop and maximize regen while driving.

TonyWilliams said:
IBELEAF said:
2.6-2.7 is what I get in Volt right now

Eek!! How much does a Volt weigh? It must be oodles more aerodynamic than the Rav4.

My daily average on the LEAFs was about 4.0 (obviously excluding my numerous hyper mileage events).
The Volt's curb weight is around 3,780 lb., so about 425 lb. more than the Leaf, and 250 lb. less than the RAV4 EV. I suspect IBELEAF is either quoting wall to wheels, or else he's driving the Volt as fast as he feels like. :D

Does any one know whether Toyota has a smart phone app for the Rav4-EV? I searched on my iPhone and don't find one. Toyota's EnTune is a piece of junk. If there is not an app for Rav4-EV, how do you check the status of charging onsite and remotely?

waidy said:
Does any one know whether Toyota has a smart phone app for the Rav4-EV? I searched on my iPhone and don't find one. Toyota's EnTune is a piece of junk. If there is not an app for Rav4-EV, how do you check the status of charging onsite and remotely?

There is an EnTune app that seems ok. I use it on the iPad and iPhone.

18460b74e339469ef9234b42a0034ec5.jpg

e42307d2c11c491caac1ba58f18949a3.jpg

0605012889f56f816a05523b893cfb9a.jpg

a102eec7d94e564406df2a8d22c09967.jpg

E0062284-5ABE-4EC9-AD63-5B220ABA76F7-753-000000C9D181DE30.jpg

App looks nicer than Carwings. Is EnTune as painfully slow to send commands and get status?

Is the communication free forever with the RAV4 or the like Nissan who I think starts charging after 3 years.

reeler said:
App looks nicer than Carwings. Is EnTune as painfully slow to send commands and get status?

Is the communication free forever with the RAV4 or the like Nissan who I think starts charging after 3 years.

I haven't used the CarWings app in so long, I can't really compare. EnTune seems to work fine, and like any app, I can find things I'd like done different / better.

http://www.toyota.com/entune/learning-center/premium/help-support/faq/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is Entune™ a fee-based service?

All new Entune™-equipped Toyota vehicles come with complimentary access to Entune™ apps and data services for three years, active from the point of sale.

After three-years of complimentary access, Entune™ users can elect to continue their access to Entune™ apps and/or data services for a monthly access fee:

For Display Audio w/ Navigation/ Entune™ owners and Premium HDD Navigation w/ Entune™ owners, access to Entune™ apps is estimated at $5/month*
For Display Audio w/ Navigation/ Entune™ owners, access to Entune™ data services is estimated at $5/month*
For Display Navigation/ Entune™ owners, access to Entune™ apps is estimated at $5/month*
For Display Navigation/ Entune™ owners, access to Entune™ data services is estimated at $5/month*

For Premium HDD Navigation with Entune™ owners, the SiriusXM [8] data services package (NavTraffic™, NavWeather™, Travel Link™ (Fuel and Sports & Stocks)) is available from SiriusXM [8] for $8.99/monthˆ

SXM data is delivered directly to the multimedia system via satellite
SXM data services do not rely on the customer’s cell phone data plan
SXM data services provide an "Always On" feature
NavTraffic™, NavWeather™ and Travel Link™ subscriptions are also available separately
NavTraffic™ = $3.99/monthˆ
NavWeather™ = $9.95/monthˆ
Travel Link™ (Fuel and Sports & Stocks)= $1.99/monthˆ
Note that Satellite Radio (XM Select Package) requires a separate SiriusXM [8] subscription after the 90-day trial period and is available for an additional $14.49/monthˆ

* Pricing for Entune™ access post three-year complimentary access period is an estimate. The addition of new Entune™ applications and services may warrant a price change. Applications and data services are subject to change without notice. Currently there is no charge for Pandora®

ˆ Other fees and taxes may apply. Subscriptions are continuous until you call 1-866-635-2349 to cancel. See SiriusXM [8] Customer Agreement at http://www.siriusxm.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for details. SiriusXM [8] prices reflect non-negotiated rates and are subject to change.

I avoid monthly fees wherever I can. I don't think I will continue using Carwings after the three years. I like the traffic info so would pay Sirius for that, but the traffic updates are slow with Google maps working far better.

I could see the various options for data/music costing more than the $25/month I pay in electricity to power my Leaf for the 1000 miles driven. Seems very expensive when viewed from that perspective.

reeler said:
I avoid monthly fees wherever I can. I don't think I will continue using Carwings after the three years. I like the traffic info so would pay Sirius for that, but the traffic updates are slow with Google maps working far better.

I could see the various options for data/music costing more than the $25/month I pay in electricity to power my Leaf for the 1000 miles driven. Seems very expensive when viewed from that perspective.

Don't forget that you'll loose the ability to control charging and climate remotely. So if those are important to you...

Back