Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it looks like Tesla opted for a 1-mohm resistive shunt to monitor battery current. That should prove to be much more accurate and repeatable than the Hall-Effect sensors found in the LEAF.

TonyWilliams said:
7E2379FB-33FD-4542-8FAC-F97291EFB774-2559-000002C75B82D1A6.jpg

Thanks Tony. It all looks great. We must have done something wrong in the process of registering at enTune.

TonyWilliams said:
reeler said:
App looks nicer than Carwings. Is EnTune as painfully slow to send commands and get status?

Is the communication free forever with the RAV4 or the like Nissan who I think starts charging after 3 years.

I haven't used the CarWings app in so long, I can't really compare. EnTune seems to work fine, and like any app, I can find things I'd like done different / better.

http://www.toyota.com/entune/learning-center/premium/help-support/faq/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is Entune™ a fee-based service?

All new Entune™-equipped Toyota vehicles come with complimentary access to Entune™ apps and data services for three years, active from the point of sale.

After three-years of complimentary access, Entune™ users can elect to continue their access to Entune™ apps and/or data services for a monthly access fee:

For Display Audio w/ Navigation/ Entune™ owners and Premium HDD Navigation w/ Entune™ owners, access to Entune™ apps is estimated at $5/month*
For Display Audio w/ Navigation/ Entune™ owners, access to Entune™ data services is estimated at $5/month*
For Display Navigation/ Entune™ owners, access to Entune™ apps is estimated at $5/month*
For Display Navigation/ Entune™ owners, access to Entune™ data services is estimated at $5/month*

For Premium HDD Navigation with Entune™ owners, the SiriusXM [8] data services package (NavTraffic™, NavWeather™, Travel Link™ (Fuel and Sports & Stocks)) is available from SiriusXM [8] for $8.99/monthˆ

SXM data is delivered directly to the multimedia system via satellite
SXM data services do not rely on the customer’s cell phone data plan
SXM data services provide an "Always On" feature
NavTraffic™, NavWeather™ and Travel Link™ subscriptions are also available separately
NavTraffic™ = $3.99/monthˆ
NavWeather™ = $9.95/monthˆ
Travel Link™ (Fuel and Sports & Stocks)= $1.99/monthˆ
Note that Satellite Radio (XM Select Package) requires a separate SiriusXM [8] subscription after the 90-day trial period and is available for an additional $14.49/monthˆ

* Pricing for Entune™ access post three-year complimentary access period is an estimate. The addition of new Entune™ applications and services may warrant a price change. Applications and data services are subject to change without notice. Currently there is no charge for Pandora®

ˆ Other fees and taxes may apply. Subscriptions are continuous until you call 1-866-635-2349 to cancel. See SiriusXM [8] Customer Agreement at http://www.siriusxm.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for details. SiriusXM [8] prices reflect non-negotiated rates and are subject to change.

mwalsh said:
Don't forget that you'll loose the ability to control charging and climate remotely. So if those are important to you...

I rarely use those features. I would pay $25-$50/year for Carwings, but not any more. Do we know what Carwings will cost? The oldest Leafs are approaching two years old.

RegGuheert said:
So it looks like Tesla opted for a 1-mohm resistive shunt to monitor battery current. That should prove to be much more accurate and repeatable than the Hall-Effect sensors found in the LEAF.

That is not a shunt. It is a semiconductor fuse with an 87k amp interrupt rating at 500vdc. That (87k) is not the amp rating for the fuse which is not visible in the picture.

TonyWilliams said:
I didn't find the main battery fuse.

I think you did.

palmermd said:
RegGuheert said:

That is not a shunt. It is a semiconductor fuse with an 87k amp interrupt rating at 500vdc. That (87k) is not the amp rating for the fuse which is not visible in the picture.

TonyWilliams said:
I didn't find the main battery fuse.

I think you did.

Ok, it makes sense that this would be a fuse.

palmermd said:
RegGuheert said:
Yep - part looks equivalent to this one: http://www.alans-sales.com/product_info.php?products_id=9076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
drees said:
Anyone have a picture of the content label for the RAV4-EV? Would be interesting to see.
I have the window sticker (it will be in Santa Ysabel Sat), which I think has that data.
Thanks!

drees said:
palmermd said:
RegGuheert said:
Yep - part looks equivalent to this one: http://www.alans-sales.com/product_info.php?products_id=9076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

****, $52 for that bad boy. I was complaining when I had to pay $11 for fuses in my Fluke (kept trying to measure amps with volts setup... come on, you guys have done it :)

palmermd said:
RegGuheert said:
O.K. Thanks!

Do you have any idea why they record the resistance to the microohm? Any chance it doubles as a shunt? (Although I admit the signal wires shown in the connector do not appear to be across that device but I'm not sure.)

TonyWilliams said:
****, $52 for that bad boy. I was complaining when I had to pay $11 for fuses in my Fluke (kept trying to measure amps with volts setup... come on, you guys have done it :)
Yes, I've done it! :oops:

You should buy some T300 fuses (with holders) someday!

TonyWilliams said:
I deny that to the last breath in my body! Oh, and that inverter must have been wired backwards at the factory - that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :?

Ingineer said:
This is a Fuse, not a current shunt.

-Phil
Thanks, Phil. You are the second person to correct me on this. Do you know why they go to the trouble of recording the resistance to the microohm on a fuse? Perhaps they could reduce the cost by just doing a pass/fail test instead...

RegGuheert said:
Ingineer said:
This is a Fuse, not a current shunt.

-Phil
Thanks, Phil. You are the second person to correct me on this. Do you know why they go to the trouble of recording the resistance to the microohm on a fuse? Perhaps they could reduce the cost by just doing a pass/fail test instead...
Semiconductor fuse model number: A50QS125-4

Uqlos0

RegGuheert said:
As an Engineer working on implementing circuit protection, one must ensure that the fuse being added doesn't have adverse effects on the circuit. Semiconductor fuses are used because they add relatively little resistance to things like IGBT/MOSFET switching circuits which demand low impedance current paths in order to remain operating within the design parameters.

There's nothing preventing you from using any fixed resistance as a current shunt, but without kelvin-type connections, (which this pictured setup lacks) it's not going to be reliable enough to get a good reading.

-Phil

Hi all, it's so nice to have a group of advisers online. Two questions in hope to get an expert to answer:
  • 1. The new Rav is default to charge at "normal" mode, meaning 80%. However, after charging my SOC meter on the dash shows 16 bars. To me, 16 bars means 100%. My question is: do I have 80% or 100% after my normal charge. If 16 bars represent 80%, then the extended mode (100%) charging will blow the SOC meter.
  • 2. Am I right that you cannot set start time and you can only set end time (departure)?

waidy said:
1. The new Rav is default to charge at "normal" mode, meaning 80%. However, after charging my SOC meter on the dash shows 16 bars. To me, 16 bars means 100%. My question is: do I have 80% or 100% after my normal charge. If 16 bars represent 80%, then the extended mode (100%) charging will blow the SOC meter.

16 bars is "normal" (LEAF 80%) charge.

16 bars is also "extended range" (LEAF 100%) charge.

There is no differentiation that I have found between the two. Sorry.

The best indicator is the GOM, which should read substantially above 100 for extended range charge, where a normal charge might show 80-100 miles.

2. Am I right that you cannot set start time and you can only set end time (departure)?[/list]

Correct. Plus, it will end it's charge about three hours early.

TonyWilliams said:
16 bars is "normal" (LEAF 80%) charge.
16 bars is also "extended range" (LEAF 100%) charge.
There is no differentiation that I have found between the two. Sorry.

The best indicator is the GOM, which should read substantially above 100 for extended range charge, where a normal charge might show 80-100 miles.
After the normal charged is completed, we often see GOM/DTE around 145 miles. Therefore, my 100% use of the new RAV4-EV is over 180 miles. I still think Toyota should show me 80% SOC after normal charge is completed. My neighbor is Senior Advisor in Toyota Technology in the R&D Division in Mountain View. I have to complaint to him next time when I jog into him on the trail.

TonyWilliams said:
Correct. Plus, it will end it's charge about three hours early.
Sorry, this is not clear to me. Let say the Rav tells me I need 4 hours charging to 80%. At 9pm, if I program the "departure" time to be 6am the next day, do you mean it sill stop charging at 3am?

Back