Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps it has changed, but I thought I remember reading that the 40 kW S was going to use a different chemistry than the higher density 85 kW version and that was the reason for no QC. Which has me wondering whether the Rav4 has the same chemistry as the current Model S or not?

So Tony, How's the RAV4 drive compared to the Leaf? I know it's faster, but how is the handling? Does the higher CG reduce the fun any?

Waidy is going to drop off her RAV at some point, I'll try to gather all the information I can.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
So Tony, How's the RAV4 drive compared to the Leaf? I know it's faster, but how is the handling? Does the higher CG reduce the fun any?

Waidy is going to drop off her RAV at some point, I'll try to gather all the information I can.

-Phil

With the Michelin tires (MXM4 Primacy) on the LEAF, it was a nicer handling and driving car. It's tough to compare any SUV with handling.

The torque steer is far worse (just way more torque that is poorly compensated for), noise in general is greater, gear noise sounds like a quiet version my 1950 GMC truck with 5 speed Fuller transmission (straight cut gears, no synchronizers), tire noise is far greater.

Space and utility far exceeds LEAF, with optional two rear jump seats, like Model S.

I heartily enjoy the power and "big boy" status of the car. I have to convince people it's electric (they rarely ask, since it looks like millions of other Toyotas). Love the range, but want a bit more OR quick charge capability.

That's where you come in!

TonyWilliams said:
That's where you come in!
Thanks for the info! I wonder if they are using the same power electronics package as the Model-S? I wonder how difficult it would be to add Tesla Supercharger capability or CHAdeMO. (though the latter is going to probably be more difficult) If they are re-using a lot of Model-S stuff, stands to reason adding the Tesla supercharger capability might not be actually be that hard.

In order to assess this, I'd first need to tear into the Model-S a bit (hopefully one with supercharge capability), and then have a look at the RAV.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
In order to assess this, I'd first need to tear into the Model-S a bit (hopefully one with supercharge capability), and then have a look at the RAV.

-Phil
Are you really going to tear apart my S? I better stay there while you are doing it.

waidy said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil
Are you really going to tear apart my S? I better stay there while you are doing it.

Phil will take good care of it :mrgreen:

I'm sure everything is straight out of the Tesla parts bin (it would not even make sense otherwise). I won't be getting the Model S for over a year, otherwise I'd drive it up.

Since the Supercharger and J1772 Combo are mostly compatible electrically, that may make sense. But, I really need a CHAdeMO port. For the Rav4 and Model S-40, I would think there were be an eager market.

waidy said:
I didn't know you had one with Supercharge capability? In any event, I wouldn't do anything without your permission. They'll be plenty of opportunities for me to inspect Model-S's, so I don't need to take yours apart if you don't want me to.

-Phil

TonyWilliams said:
Phil will take good care of it :mrgreen:

I'm sure everything is straight out of the Tesla parts bin (it would not even make sense otherwise). I won't be getting the Model S for over a year, otherwise I'd drive it up.

Since the Supercharger and J1772 Combo are mostly compatible electrically, that may make sense. But, I really need a CHAdeMO port. For the Rav4 and Model S-40, I would think there were be an eager market.
Yes, I suspect they did the minimum needed to get the RAV going to keep costs in order. However, there is enough of a number to leave out parts, especially if there are some savings to be had. Many engineers will make a PCB with all the features, then simply have different BOM's for each model. They'll leave off even relatively inexpensive parts on lower models, as it's super easy to make a run with those parts deleted.

Since it's unlikely Tesla will release schematics, it's probably going to take a fair amount of reverse-engineering. In order to make a safe CHAdeMO port for a Tesla system, we'll probably have to reverse-engineer the supercharger protocol and then it's a simple matter of making a simple protocol and physical layer adapter. It's the reverse-engineering that's costly (my time). It would be awesome if Tesla opened up the Supercharger standard.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
waidy said:
I didn't know you had one with Supercharge capability? In any event, I wouldn't do anything without your permission. They'll be plenty of opportunities for me to inspect Model-S's, so I don't need to take yours apart if you don't want me to.

-Phil
Yes, I ordered a 85kWh S with all the options except no leather (I am a vegan), no 21" wheels (too expensive to replace), and no child seats (I don't like to sit backward)

Ingineer said:
Since it's unlikely Tesla will release schematics, it's probably going to take a fair amount of reverse-engineering. In order to make a safe CHAdeMO port for a Tesla system, we'll probably have to reverse-engineer the supercharger protocol and then it's a simple matter of making a simple protocol and physical layer adapter. It's the reverse-engineering that's costly (my time). It would be awesome if Tesla opened up the Supercharger standard.

Oh, I'm confident that Tesla won't release anything, even to Toyota! Give me a time schedule and a price, and I'll see what I can do.

waidy said:
Yes, I ordered a 85kWh S with all the options except no leather (I am a vegan)...
I thought vegans didn't eat animal products, never heard that they can't sit on them. ;) Seriously, I started eating vegan a few weeks ago, but I made the change because I think it is better for ones health, not to save animals. I may still be tempted by Panda Beef and Sweet and Pungent Shrimp at the Panda Inn (Ontario, Calif.).

TonyWilliams said:
Oh, I'm confident that Tesla won't release anything, even to Toyota! Give me a time schedule and a price, and I'll see what I can do.
I can't possibly quote time or prices until I know more. I'd have to have at least a basic understanding of what we're up against. Up until then, it's research, which might not even yield anything useful.

-Phil

waidy said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil
Yes, I ordered a 85kWh S with all the options except no leather (I am a vegan), no 21" wheels (too expensive to replace), and no child seats (I don't like to sit backward)
I think I am confuse of the phase "supercharge capability". I looked at my MVPA, I brought option "twin charger" which allows me to charge at 80Amp, but there is nothing on my MVPA showing I brought the option of "supercharge capability". I then look at Tesla's website, it said supercharging comes standard with all 85kWh S. Therefore, I *think* I have supercharge capability although my MVPA doesn't said so. Let's hope.

waidy said:
waidy said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil
I think I am confuse of the phase "supercharge capability". I looked at my MVPA, I brought option "twin charger" which allows me to charge at 80Amp, but there is nothing on my MVPA showing I brought the option of "supercharge capability". I then look at Tesla's website, it said supercharging comes standard with all 85kWh S. Therefore, I *think* I have supercharge capability although my MVPA doesn't said so. Let's hope.
You should have it. It's always been listed as standard on the 85 kwh model (unlike the screwing around they did w/the 60 kwh model).

cwerdna said:
waidy said:
Therefore, I *think* I have supercharge capability although my MVPA doesn't said so. Let's hope.
You should have it. It's always been listed as standard on the 85 kwh model (unlike the screwing around they did w/the 60 kwh model).
Yes, your Model S should have super-charge capability by default. Perhaps there will be an opportunity to try that soon enough?

Phil, when you have the new Rav4-EV, would you be so kind to test your LEAFScan on the Rav? There is no SOC on the new RAV4-EV. The fuel gauge has 16 bars. It's 16 bars whether you charge to 80% or 100%. Toyota is selling 2600, all these 2600 Rav's will need LEAFScan.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to ask a couple of questions:
1. Is there a battery temperature gauge on the RAV4 EV? If so, how granular is it?
2. Am I correct in assuming that the battery is simply air cooled, and not liquid cooled?

abasile said:
Out of curiosity, I'd like to ask a couple of questions:
1. Is there a battery temperature gauge on the RAV4 EV? If so, how granular is it?
2. Am I correct in assuming that the battery is simply air cooled, and not liquid cooled?
It's liquid cooled, presumably the same setup Model S is using. Can't answer the question about the temperature gauge on the RAV. The ActiveE I'm driving displays it in Fahrenheit.

Back