Oil and filter Change Time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

You didn't know? Well with so many threads here about Nissan's left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing ... it'll be fun to hear stories of Nissan sending out oil change notices to new owners. Those kinds of notices were sent out to S-10ev and RAV4-ev owners back in the 1990's, and since the system seems to do it to all new car owners, I'm betting it'll continue. Then the fun will continue with the DMV a few years later. Time for a smog check.
:D
Our '04 Prius got a smog check reminder last year. They're exempt for the 1st 6 years. CA presumed they'd figure out a way (to keep the money system going and) to smog check them by then ... only with budget cuts, they never did. I lost track of all the times we had to travel back and forth between the bureau of automotive repair, the smog check stations, bureau of weights and measures and the DMV. I look forward to the first leaf owner getting their "reminders".
:roll:

hill said:
Our '04 Prius got a smog check reminder last year. They're exempt for the 1st 6 years. CA presumed they'd figure out a way (to keep the money system going and) to smog check them by then ... only with budget cuts, they never did. I lost track of all the times we had to travel back and forth between the bureau of automotive repair, the smog check stations, bureau of weights and measures and the DMV. I look forward to the first leaf owner getting their "reminders".
:roll:

For the smog check, i just filled out a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from the DMV for my hybrid and sent it in after I paid my registration online. I've never had a problem getting my registration stickers this way.

Hey Hill!

Just for the record, many of us are *still* getting oil change reminders for our Ravs nine years later. I used to ask if I could trade it in on something of equal value. Ha.

Dealers tend to use el-cheapo bulk oil and only marginally interesting oil filters so the value isn't going to be very high...but should at least be worth a couple of hours of L2 charge time - or an L3 charge? ;)

As my fuel is already free from the sun, I was hoping more for something like a new windshield wiper blade or two.

darelldd said:
As my fuel is already free from the sun, I was hoping more for something like a new windshield wiper blade or two.
I don't know about free, man - 'jever try to figure the ROI on those things? :lol:

Hey - wiper blades should be doable, at least one anyway. If the dealer's using bulk petroleum oil they're probably paying 38 cents a quart and the filter is maybe $2-$4.

They use the 'free' oil change as a way to get us into the shop so they can sell higher profit items...like wiper blades. You'll have 'em over a barrel...so to speak... :lol:

The PDI on our LEAF (delivered today) included a sticker on the inside upper left corner of the windshield with a reminder for "QuickLube" service on 10/19/11 or 7,500 miles :shock:

Of course ... the person doing the PDI ... is still on the learning curve. So other than a having a good laugh :lol: ... we will be ignoring that sticker.

Back when my Rav4EV was under warranty and a 6-month dealer check was free, my humor-enabled EV tech would always put the cling up on the glass with NEVER written into the blank spot for next oil change. Been five years since the car has been seen by the dealer now. I miss the clings. ;)

Back