One day they could make electric cars...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

My daughter needed help with her homework yesterday. She's in 4th grade. The homework was about batteries. One of the last questions said, "It is possible that one day cars could be made that run entirely on electricity. What would be some of the benefits of this?"

I was kind of perplexed. How do you answer a question that is supposed to be hypothetical, but is actually a reality? What if the question were "One day it may be possible to build a machine that flies through the air. What would be the benefit of such a machine?" Anyway, I told my daughter to tell her teacher she rides in such a car to school every day.

adric22 said:
Anyway, I told my daughter to tell her teacher she rides in such a car to school every day.
"My daddy could drive me to school in such a vehicle and it would be a much nicer ride than that 20th-century car he used to drive."

adric22 said:
How do you answer a question that is supposed to be hypothetical, but is actually a reality?
Looks like a great opportunity to educate the class on electric vehicles that are available today. Have her do her research and provide some real world examples, including yours.

Or how about "My daddy drives me to school in one and he doesn't cause cancer in people or kill babies due to poisonous emissions"... that would get someone's attention.

I'd say it's time for a field trip to the school for a little show-and-tell.

leafedbehind said:
Maybe your school has ancient textbooks? We had a science textbook in high school that said "one day men may walk on the moon!". This was 1984 (!).
I watched it live on TV. They didn't walk. They did this kind of hop,shuffle thing. For longer trips, they drove their EV.

sproqitman said:
For longer trips, they drove their EV.
That's a good answer!

"I could drive it on the moon because it doesn't require an oxygen-rich atmosphere for combustion. Unfortunately, we forgot how to get to the moon 30 years ago!"

sproqitman said:
I'd say it's time for a field trip to the school for a little show-and-tell.

leafedbehind said:
Maybe your school has ancient textbooks? We had a science textbook in high school that said "one day men may walk on the moon!". This was 1984 (!).
I watched it live on TV. They didn't walk. They did this kind of hop,shuffle thing. For longer trips, they drove their EV.

I watched it on TV too, but I don't remember it. I just remember the re-runs :).

leafedbehind said:
LOL! Either the books were old or maybe the authors of the above textbooks are believers in the conspiracy theory that the moon landings were faked and done on sound stage somewhere...

adric22 said:
One of the last questions said, "It is possible that one day cars could be made that run entirely on electricity. What would be some of the benefits of this?"

Was the teacher trying to get the kids to put on their 'thinking caps?"

Smart-alec kid:

1.) "Teacher, this one question is outdated, because my family has owned a car that runs entirely on electricity since 2011 and it's very cheap to drive. Could you give us a different question or do I need to transfer to a better school?" :lol:

Smart-thinking kid:

2.) "Teacher, the answer to this trick question is, it's already a reality and has been for a couple of years. :D Would you like me to ask my Dad to bring our totally (awsome) electric car to school for Show-and-Tell?" :cool:

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
One day they will create a machine that is faster at calculating math problems than even the smartest people!

Then they'll take this fantastically fast machine and equip it with a touch screen interface, the least productive interface ever conceived, and the smartest people will still out think the thing.

Back