OpenEVSE - Open Source Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not know if it is just my computer but if there are any schematics or drawings, this do not display at all and also there are very large spacing in between paragraphs
chris1howell said:
No problem... I just posted it yesterday.

It's pretty easy just a diode and resistor...

chris1howell wrote:
chris1howell said:
I built a power supply for the Open EVSE.

2012-02-16_08-53-32_176 by chris1howell, on Flickr

Chris, any idea when you might have some of these available?

I should have a basic unit ready in about 2 weeks. It is a basic 12V supply in the Open EVSE form factor.

In about a month I will have the version which includes ground check, stuck relay check, and L1/L2 detection.

Looks good..I like the stackable design to the evse board..makes for easy mounting in project box..I would like to see the status led off the board so it could be remote mounted via wire leads again great project Chris...Kelly

Any one of this upgrades will be software only and if not, will it be much hardware complexity to add this improvements to the current version of the open EVSE ?

chris1howell said:
chris1howell wrote:
chris1howell said:
I built a power supply for the Open EVSE.

2012-02-16_08-53-32_176 by chris1howell, on Flickr

Chris, any idea when you might have some of these available?

I should have a basic unit ready in about 2 weeks. It is a basic 12V supply in the Open EVSE form factor.

In about a month I will have the version which includes ground check, stuck relay check, and L1/L2 detection.

The new power supply(s) will work with the current boards, no hardware modification is required.

Future Open EVSE boards can be powered with a board to board connector (no external wires) the older boards will need to be connected with a wire from the power supply output terminal block to the Open EVSE power input block.

The advanced safety features use the header pins D3, D4, and GND already on the current boards, only a firmware update is required... :D

chris1howell said:
The advanced safety features use the header pins D3, D4, and GND already on the current boards, only a firmware update is required... :D
What a relief............

Well with the open evse continuing to advance in hardware design and software,I now just chuckle when I see the ads for the GE,leviton,AV,Schnider units out there.the fact is ,some very large companies with undoubtly well fianced engineers and programmers produce clunky,unelegant designs,while a couple guys in their spare time produce something that even I with modest soldering,hobby skills can build.My total cost was about what I paid to get the Nissen/panasonic modified for 16amp/240.The panasonic now lives in the trunk of the Leaf for unexpected charges(like last weeks windstorm so dramatically cut my range .The one I built is mounted proudly on the wall...and it works and wouldnt trade it for GE...I know I sound like a schill for open evse...but sign me satisfied user...kpc

I would LOVE it if/when the design gets a little more finalized that some of the regional clubs hold workshops for the folks that are capable and can assemble their own EVSE with Chris' design. I would sign up in a heartbeat.

How about selling the club members on a group buy of J1772 cables while you are at it...it's the most expensive part.

Or, if someone can identify a cable that would work; perhaps we could work on adding a DIY open source plug assembly/cable to the Wiki.

chris1howell said:
I have a quote request in for the ITT 30a cables... we will see how it goes.

Chris, I bought mine from Avnet, was $261 and $8 shiping via FedEx Ground, not terrible.

I watch EVTV a lot, and "Jack" is always talking about "I spent some time searching Alibaba", so I found the site, and put in "J-1772" and from "China", here is the results of the search... lots of stuff to look through, maybe something reasonable can be found:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?Country=&SearchText=J1772&IndexArea=product_en&fsb=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back