Opinions about refurbished Clipper Creek CS 40 on ebay ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mattyo5 said:
How about this clipper creek on ebay?

I don't need an outdoor Level 2, and this seems like it'll fill the bill for a leaf. no?

go easy on me, first post here, just got the 2012 Leaf a few days ago.... leased

-Matt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVSE-J1772-clipper-creek-220-volt-EV-charge-cable-for-Leaf-Volt-EV-Th-nk-/130842394488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e76d07f78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to the world of LEAF. Why does a guy in Indiana have boxes of Clipper Creek 12-16 amp EVSE's set up for Europe (I think he called it a UK plug, but it looks like the Euro one)?

Anyway, this looks fine, and will work on any J1772 car. If you have a 30 amp 2013 LEAF, it will only charge at 16 amps. I like Clipper Creek stuff.

another forum discussing the same thing

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?21586-ebay-clipper-creek-pcs-120&p=254266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

input relay??? I wonder what would need to be changed... I solder boards for amplifiers all the time (hobby) so mains wiring doesn't scare me... not that I don't respect it.... but I wonder what they could possibly recommend to change out? ideas??

I'm also curious why he would have a bunch of them sitting around :)

leasing a 2012 Leaf FYI

-Matt

Phil, thanks for the help.

I'd actually like to do the EVSE upgrade thing, and I think the price ($250 or so) is not unreasonable, but since my car is leased, I'd rather not mod the OEM at all. So that leaves me with buying a level 2 unit, which are around 800-1000$. (similar price for an OEM level 1 evse )... or I can buy this Clipper Creek unit for $500, do some minor mods. Honestly, it looks to me like the reason for the bottleneck of 15A is the input power cord. That looks to be only 14awg cable. I'd be curious if there were any other similar (easily remedied) bottlenecks in the unit.

Doesn't bother me in the least that this unit won't do 120v, I'll simply wire in a 240v circuit and I could even hardwire this unit into that. No input plug needed. :) and if it does only 15A for some reason, thats fine. That extra amp I won't worry about.

Anyone else ripped one of these appart?

-Matt

mattyo5 said:

I'd actually like to do the EVSE upgrade thing, and I think the price ($250 or so) is not unreasonable, but since my car is leased, I'd rather not mod the OEM at all. ...
It's not really a problem. You have four options when it comes time to turn the car back in.

1. You can buy a new OEM EVSE to give back, and keep the modded one.
2. You can trade your modded one for someone's factory one. (The new 2013s are coming with a less capable unit, I expect the older ones are going to be in demand.)
3. You can change the 240v plug for a 120v plug, and turn it in with no one the wiser.
4. The folks at EVSEUpgrade will trade with you if you can't manage any of the other options.

Personally, I'll do number one if I'm getting another EV, and the EVSEUpgrade turns out compatible with my next EV. If not, then I'll drop into the local LEAF gathering, and work out a swap, or... If I'm trading for a new LEAF, I'll just have the dealer keep the shiny new one that comes with the new LEAF, while I keep my old one.

Dave, all good points and good information. I'd still like to keep my original one stock (and put it back in the car as a backup), and get a 2nd unit of some kind.

In the interest of not TOTALLY threadjacking, back the Clipper Creek unit....

-Matt

mattyo5 said:
How about this clipper creek on ebay?

I don't need an outdoor Level 2, and this seems like it'll fill the bill for a leaf. no?

go easy on me, first post here, just got the 2012 Leaf a few days ago.... leased

-Matt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVSE-J1772-clipper-creek-220-volt-EV-charge-cable-for-Leaf-Volt-EV-Th-nk-/130842394488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e76d07f78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would take a bit of time and make a list of 6 or 7 options and figure it out... unless it's just killing you to trickle charge every night, your car will still be there. I trickle charged for four months until I got this CS-40 installed.

Clipper Creek does have a reputation as a small but good maker of these devices, but how much does this model retail for? The CS-40 we're talking about is I think a very robust model that can be used in industrial or public settings but also can be used residentially. I paid about $550 including shipping and am ok with having done so (never mind my probably-temporary issues getting things going), but I'd check the retail price on the one on ebay, which does not look to be the same model at all.

So, I guess I'm just asking if you've looked into your options for Blink, Aerovironment and other manufacturers, or called to see if you qualified for a free Blink? Yes, there are quality considerations, pros-and-cons. I don't know all about those, just encouraging you to take your time and make a list.

[edited]

mattyo5 said:

I'd actually like to do the EVSE upgrade thing, and I think the price ($250 or so) is not unreasonable, but since my car is leased, I'd rather not mod the OEM at all...

-Matt

I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Phil's upgrades have (IMO) a well-deserved reputation for excellence. They will probably remain in demand as "carry on board for emergency" EVSE's, for ALL BEVs, even after the public charging infrastructure is well-developed.

You should get at least the cost of a "stock" Panasonic L1 back by selling or trading your upgraded unit, should you wish to return your LEAF to Nissan at your lease expiration.

davewill said:
BTW, there's no reason to be THAT paranoid about a 100% charge. The thing to avoid is doing it on a regular basis. I've had lots of times where I thought I was going somewhere, and bumped the charge to 100% only to have the situation change. No need to start driving around the block when it happens.

When this happens to me and I know it will be the next day or longer before the car is driven, I have been known to lower the SOC by blasting the climate control for awhile with the windows open to "heat the garage". Not sure it's worth the wasted kWH, though I did use the opportunity once to change the oil in my wife's car, and another time to rotate the tires on the LEAF. 5kW sure beats the little cube heater we've got. :)

nworbekim said:
There are a couple of refurbished Clipper Creek CS-40 units available on ebay. Does anyone have opinions about the pros and cons of getting a refurb CS 40 to save 30-40% over a new residential grade L2 30 amp unit?

Regards,
Mike

FWIW, 6 months after I leased a 2012 Leaf, I have managed to get the 7.2 kW CS-40 up and running. Glad I did, it is working well, and I have my garage listed on plugshare. What was the issue? Either it was incorrectly installed or it came with some setting from the BMW program that ended up being wrong for the Leaf... I'm not sure what was wrong, but those are the two theories.

Back