Outdoor rated Level 2 - 30A EVSE that uses a plug?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too am faced with a similar situation. Here are the requirements/limitations:

1) I want a mobile L2 EVSE.
2) I don't want to mod my Nissan L1 EVSE (via evseupgrade) yet until I gain some confidence I don't have the 2013 PDM issue that other forum members are talking about. Don't want Nissan to blame a faulty PDM on aftermarket modded EVSE.
3) I don't want to spend a lot of money. Car is a lease and the whole point of leasing one was to save $$$.
4) I charge at work and home from GFI-protected 240V outlets. I know what is safe and what isn't.
5) I don't want my EVSE stolen/cut while charging. Leaving it in the open at the parking lot is tempting fate.
6) I don't want my EVSE damaged due to rain/sun exposure. Seen such damage to other users's EVSE.

Possible Solutions:
1) Buy J1772 extension, $300.
2) Buy evseupgrade, pray I don't ever need to show it to Nissan and buy some extension cable/adapters.
3) Not sure how to counter theft and minimize sun/rain exposure.

Final Solution:
1) Bought Clipper Creek LCS-25. Swapped out the short AC cable with a long, service entry power cord.
2) Put LCS-25 inside car while charging, used method shown by another forum member.

myleaf_charging_240v.jpg.1379373674700.jpg

Here is my L2 EVSE tucked inside the hood while charging. The long AC cord allows me to reach the outlet.

lcs25_view.jpg.1379373714877.jpg

My LCS-25 EVSE modded with a long AC cable

other_lcs25_dmg.jpg.1379373747150.jpg

Stock LCS-25 used as mobile EVSE, showing damage due to use/exposure

Back