Ozone smell in garage after charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLUEGIRL

Recently I notice an 'ozone' type smell in the garage in the morning after charging over night. I have a 2015 Leaf. Is there a problem with my battery? Is it dangerous to breath in?

I believe that this is actually faint traces of the solvent (lithium hexafluoride?), and this is not unheard of when lithium based batteries are charged.

As for whether it's normal or not, it's hard to gauge. I would say that a strong such smell is worth investigating. If it's just a faint trace, probably nothing to worry about.

Though if it really is actual ozone (O3 gas), that is usually a result of electrical arcing, but that would be accompanied by heat and sizzling sound, which I'm sure you would have mentioned if present. Actual ozone from arcing would indeed be very bad.

Could the smell be from hot plastic?

Check the J1772 plug and receiver for signs of overheating, burn marks, deformation, etc.

If nothing looks amiss, start a charging. After 15 minutes or so, check for noticeable heat at the J1772 connection, the EVSE and the wall socket (if it is a plug in unit).

If not those, open the hood to find out if the smell is generated there.

Back