P1273 software update ruined my car. Your opinion?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has my car been ruined?

• No, the apparent loss you see now is coincidental and normal

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No, your Gidometer was reading incorrectly high before

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Yes, your Gidometer is reading low now because the updated software is limiting charge

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Yes, your Gidometer is reading low now because the new battery control unit is limiting charge

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Yes, the new battery control unit has damaged the pack

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Yes, leaving your battery pack sitting fully charged for 4 days has damaged the pack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
OK, I'm home. I've been convinced that all is normal. Or at least that this is my new normal. I guess the tolerances on this new controller are simply different to the controller I originally had, and this is as good as this one is going to work.

I got a print out from the HV Battery section of Consult 3 and, although I promised not to share the numbers, cell pair voltages are pretty good (even when compared to a new LEAF) and the Gradual Capacity Loss Coeficient puts me right where I had expected to be in terms of degradation.

I can still have the car do pretty much what I need it to do daily, even though I'm discharging the pack more than I have ever done previously, and on a more frequent basis. Maybe this way I can kill capacity bars faster and qualify for whatever Nissan has in mind under the new warranty. ;)

Just got home from the two year inspection. They did the software update :shock: and so I will see what happens. And of course they gave my battery test a perfect score all boxes filled, five stars everywhere.... blah, blah, blah. I mean, the car is fine but I just think its funny they waste time printing something like that out.

Fooling around with different combinations of charging is over and done. From now on it's L2 on the Charge Timer and charged to 100%. Except maybe for the 10 minute bump after letting the car rest for a couple of hours, should time allow.

Numbers for last night were 236/83.9%/393v, pre-bump. And 239/85%/393.5v, post-bump. Charging was from just above VLBW.

Now that I know (as far as my car is concerned anyway) that pack degradation is 11%, it's beginning to feel like ~85% in Gids is probably going to be about right as a maximum. Base charge though is still on the up from all previous charges since the new controller.

What I've noticed in the last couple of commutes is that there is about a 3% improvement in my efficiency without using cruise control, so I think that's what I'm going to do (as needed) in the near term to cancel out the remainder of the loss I've seen. It's clear that with a properly balanced pack, the right driving technique, forgiving terrain, and mild temperatures, I can still achieve a range of around 77 miles at 65mph. But this is probably the last arrow in my quiver of tricks.

The one thing I'm hoping is what RegGuheert alluded to a few posts back with respect to lower charge and longer life:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11303&start=79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I were not to see any additional degradation for a while, or degradation at a slower pace than the delta...well both those happenstances would be perfectly acceptable.

At equivalent temperatures, I'm still seeing a slow degradation over the winter. I'm down about another 4-5 Gids...

mwalsh said:
The one thing I'm hoping is what RegGuheert alluded to a few posts back with respect to lower charge and longer life:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11303&start=79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I were not to see any additional degradation for a while, or degradation at a slower pace than the delta...well both those happenstances would be perfectly acceptable.

TomT said:
At equivalent temperatures, I'm still seeing a slow degradation over the winter. I'm down about another 4-5 Gids...

I'm starting to have most people "in the know" telling me to expect capacity bar loss at any time. I, of course, live in hope that they're wrong. ;)

Have you done a range test recently, Tom?

Update:

Car kissed 394v for the first time today. Gidometer was bouncing between it and 393.5 when taking my readings, so I'm going to call it 394v anyway.

Otherwise still hitting a pretty steady 234-238 Gids on each charge. But I haven't seen a 239 or 240 for about a month now.

mwalsh said:
I got a print out from the HV Battery section of Consult 3 and, although I promised not to share the numbers...

Just saw this post and am curious why, and to whom, you promised not to share numbers?

Glenn

Glenn said:
Just saw this post and am curious why, and to whom, you promised not to share numbers?

The technician giving me the numbers. He asked and I've obliged (even though I'm not massively happy about the idea - that information should, first of all, be fully available to owners and, secondly, theirs to do with as they will).

I had P1273 update applied to my car about two weeks ago. I wish I didn't agree to it. I noticed range loss based on the number of bars I used to consume during my daily commute.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13570&p=309612#p309612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back