P3180 on battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmk

Hi,

Last Friday my Leaf (Nov 2012, almost the last leaf from Japan) just reported DTC P3180 after plugging it in. When the code showed up car refused to charge, but replugging solved everything and since then car has been working perfectly. However, the DTC remains. There are no other DTCs in the car and in overall the battery is in reasonable shape for its age (SOH 87%). I've understood that this DTC concerns the battery in one way or the other, but leafspy does not seem to show anything unusual with the cell voltages. Last reading reported variation from 3.869(min) - 3.884(avg) - 3.897(max), but I haven't been monitoring this for long yet.

What makes this REALLY annoying is that in case there is an issue with the battery, closest service point from me is at Stockholm (I'm @ Helsinki). Any thoughts what could be tried before I take the car all the way to Stockholm :-/ ? And yes, Nissan DOES sell Leafs here in Helsinki, they just can't service them...

You are getting a P3180 code, with no other error codes? If so, I would assume that it was just a charging glitch. Reset the DTC's with LeafSpy and I bet it won't come back.

VCM detects an error signal that is received from LBC via CAN
communication for 0.02 seconds or more.
NOTE: This DTC is detected when LBC detects DTC. If this DTC detected, perform trouble diagnosis for a DTC that
detected by LBC.

keydiver said:
You are getting a P3180 code, with no other error codes? If so, I would assume that it was just a charging glitch. Reset the DTC's with LeafSpy and I bet it won't come back.

Yes no other codes whatsoever. I did cell balancing after which all voltages are near perfect (currently 3.753 / 3.759 / 3.765), removed the 12V battery for a while and reset the DTC. At least the code cleared, let's hope it does not come back :)

When that happened it was connected to cheap EBUSBAR charger so maybe that has something...

Back