Parked for a week with 80% battery charge, came back DEAD

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
Not everyone spends there entire day online here. Some people only check once per day, and others less frequently if you can believe that.
:twisted: Blasphemy!! :twisted:

Hello everyone,

I appreciate all the feedback...
So I am not quite sure how to determine what happened, so I am running an experiment. I am not charging my car tonight and will see if there is any difference in the morning.

I am going off the Nissan Leaf app in regards to the level of charge. Is there a more accurate way to get a battery level?

Here are some things I do remember:
I did press the power button when I got to the airport which in turn shut off the radio. Does this mean the car is shut off??
I pressed the lock button on the fob to lock the doors after exiting the car.
When I got back to the car, there was minimal power and no internal lights were on. I had enough power to drive it to the electric charging station in the parking garage.

If for some reason pressing the power button once does not shut off the car, how do you shut it off?
If there are no lights on inside the car (dash display, etc) is the car off?

Furthermore, to anyone at Nissan, I would recommend the following:
If someone presses the lock button on the fob, shut off the car.
Update the Nissan leaf app to show if the car is running.

I would also recommend adding the ability to shut off the car from the Nissan leaf app if the car is in park.

This note from page 5-9 of the owner's manual has a possible explanation:
NOTE:
If the power switch is pushed quickly or is pushed twice quickly, the switch may not function even if a chime sound is heard. Push the switch again more slowly.
However, from your most recent information, that the radio did stop, and that when you returned there were no lights on the dash, it certainly sounds like the car should have been off. Perhaps a malfunction that didn't turn everything off?

Did you check trip duration in CarWings as GeekEV suggested? That should tell you for sure if the car was left on. (Well, assuming you had pressed the OK button at startup.)

Ray

Overnight might not drain the battery enough to see any loss of charge.

To lose one "Bar", the SOC needs to drop as much as 8% (or as little as "a tiny bit"), depending upon how "full" the top bar is.

To lose 2 bars takes from 8% to 16% (approximately), but that might take a several-day test.

OP; how far away from airport are you?

to the rest; even if headlights were left on, there should be a timer that turns them off so draining battery in any headlight mode

i have to think the car was left on?

not hard to do. cant say most of us have done it, but i have as have others. so it can be done and its not hard to do.

scottland, I am curious, do you have a SV or SL Leaf? I seriously doubt it will make a difference though but it is data point to consider.

Even if it's a user error - Nissan still has a problem, by allowing that error to drain batts. My 10-year old Navigator turns dome lights off (for example) even if you left it mechanically on, or if door was left open. So definitely doable

Our 06 hybrid SUV Lexus will suffer aux battery death (it's horriby undersized, as all it's designed to do is boot up the numerous ECU's) in a matter of hours, should a door be left ajar, for example.

scottland said:
Left car at LAX airport, key fob went with me to Hawaii

When in Hawaii, did you show anyone how the LEAF has an awesome iphone app, that lets you can check charge status, and even ***remotely turn on the climate controls***?

danmeljeff said:
When in Hawaii, did you show anyone how the LEAF has an awesome iphone app, that lets you can check charge status, and even ***remotely turn on the climate controls***?
A nice idea as to a possible cause, but the climate control automatically turns off after 15 minutes if the car isn't plugged in. So, unless he demoed that feature A LOT, it can't be the cause.

Spies said:
scottland, I am curious, do you have a SV or SL Leaf? I seriously doubt it will make a difference though but it is data point to consider.

I have the SL Leaf I believe. The one with the solar panel.

danmeljeff said:
scottland said:
Left car at LAX airport, key fob went with me to Hawaii

I never even accessed the app in Hawaii.

planet4ever said:
This note from page 5-9 of the owner's manual has a possible explanation:
NOTE:
If the power switch is pushed quickly or is pushed twice quickly, the switch may not function even if a chime sound is heard. Push the switch again more slowly.
However, from your most recent information, that the radio did stop, and that when you returned there were no lights on the dash, it certainly sounds like the car should have been off. Perhaps a malfunction that didn't turn everything off?

Did you check trip duration in CarWings as GeekEV suggested? That should tell you for sure if the car was left on. (Well, assuming you had pressed the OK button at startup.)

Ray

I think trip duration may be gone... Can you view trip duration history?

One other thing I noticed was the clock got reset. This is odd as I was able to drive the car to a charging station.

DaveinOlyWA said:
OP; how far away from airport are you?

to the rest; even if headlights were left on, there should be a timer that turns them off so draining battery in any headlight mode

i have to think the car was left on?

not hard to do. cant say most of us have done it, but i have as have others. so it can be done and its not hard to do.

I am about 20 miles from the airport. It was daytime when I went to the airport so the headlights would not be on.

So I notice while driving my leaf today that the doors automatically lock while driving and do not unlock until you turn the car off.

So my question to everyone is how did I exit the car without turning it off first?

Sure, I could have hit the unlock button, but I would have remembered that.

The only possible scenario I could think of is this sort of double click situation that was mentioned. MAYBE (and that's a big maybe), I accidentally hit the power button twice?

But that introduces some new questions:
Wouldn't the dash have some sort of power on it? How could I not notice the dash lit up?

uwskier20 said:
Jimmydreams said:
It's VERY easy to leave your car on and walk away. At night, the headlights would have come on, and those alone, for 10-12 hours a day could drain your battery.

I'm gonna go with "Human Error Over Malfunction" for $500, Alex! :lol:

So, will the car remain on in the absence of the key fob for an extended period of time? That seems odd. I would think that if, remaining still, it would eventually ask, "are you there?" a few times, and then power down. ;)

This sounds like HORRIBLE design to me. While I don't have any kids, imagine this scenario. You accidentally leave the car on and your 7 year old gives it a test drive.

The fob should act like a set of keys. If the car is in park, it should shut off if you exit the vehicle (especially if you hit the lock button on the fob).
It sounds pretty silly that if my car was running, someone could have taken it for a test drive while my fob was in Hawaii.

I had complained to Nissan and they called me back stating the car should not be left in park for more than 14 days without charge.

DarkStar said:
scottland said:
I had complained to Nissan and they called me back stating the car should not be left in park for more than 14 days without charge.
And when you told them it had only been there for 7 what was their response? Also, as it was suggested earlier, check CARWINGS for your trip info: http://www.nissanusa.com/owners/

Checked car wings... weird, day in question says I only drove 10.8 miles with a travel time of .9 hours. My travel time for the whole month is only 2.8 hours.

They said something like I shouldn't leave it unplugged for more than a few days.

Hmm. So the production date on our Leaf was sometime before March 11th, prior to the EQ. It arrived in Long Beach sometime around March 22nd. So that means that it has not been plugged in for over 2 months now? I wonder if Nissan goes though and plugs in all the cars at the doc in Long Beach once every x weeks? They sit for so long I would think they have to.

Back