Parked for a week with 80% battery charge, came back DEAD

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottland said:
So my question to everyone is how did I exit the car without turning it off first?

Sure, I could have hit the unlock button, but I would have remembered that.

You know I thought the same thing myself but have once or twice managed to get out of the car without thinking and leave it on. :oops: It happens, I just try to take extra care to think to myself "self, why are the doors locked, ohh yea I forgot to push that power button :)

-Matt

scottland said:
Checked car wings... weird, day in question says I only drove 10.8 miles with a travel time of .9 hours. My travel time for the whole month is only 2.8 hours. They said something like I shouldn't leave it unplugged for more than a few days.

This would seem to put a damper on the driver left the vehicle on theory...

The discussion brings up a good point, after having owned two Fob'ed vehicles, I would pay a good amount for a key option on my future vehicles, just to rule out the possible & confusion issues Fob's create.

Question for Leaf owners, if you leave the lights on but turn the vehicle off, will the lights stay on?

How could the headlights -- or the dome light -- possibly drain a battery capable of taking a 2,000 pound vehicle 73 miles at highway speeds?

There's something wrong here.

-- John

If he left the car for one week (or 168 hours), then to drain a 24kwh pack there would need to be a 142W load. Not likely the dome light, but just leaving the car "on" would likely do it.

Sasparilla said:
scottland said:
Checked car wings... weird, day in question says I only drove 10.8 miles with a travel time of .9 hours. My travel time for the whole month is only 2.8 hours. They said something like I shouldn't leave it unplugged for more than a few days.

This would seem to put a damper on the driver left the vehicle on theory...

The discussion brings up a good point, after having owned two Fob'ed vehicles, I would pay a good amount for a key option on my future vehicles, just to rule out the possible & confusion issues Fob's create.

I wouldn't say that.

Given Nissan's sophomoric software programmers, I would expect Carwings to completely choke-and-puke if it saw a 'trip time' of over 24 hours. Or, a trip that spanned more than 2 calendar days. Those things probably were never thought of by the programmers, so whatever outcome would be completely suspect.

It's pretty easy to leave the car on and exit the car. It does beep at you though. I leave my car everyday to open the garage door while it's still on, so it can happen, especially if you don;t pay attention to the couple of beeps, letting you know it's still on. ;)

Bassman said:
It's pretty easy to leave the car on and exit the car. It does beep at you though. I leave my car everyday to open the garage door while it's still on, so it can happen, especially if you don;t pay attention to the couple of beeps, letting you know it's still on. ;)

Interestingly, I found out yesterday that it only beeps at you if you close the driver's door after you. Now, coming back to your car finding the driver's door open would be a pretty good gimmie that you've done something wrong. But if you do, don't expect the car to beep at you too! :lol:

Either way. Something is wrong. No matter what the driver did it should have just killed the 12 volt battery and be done with. So the only way the traction battery is drained is if its connected and the 12 volt battery. Would have to energize that connection

BlueSL said:
How could the headlights -- or the dome light -- possibly drain a battery capable of taking a 2,000 pound vehicle 73 miles at highway speeds?

There's something wrong here.

-- John

There is more running then that, if the car is on the brake pump will be running, probably a coolant pump for the inverter, the fan inside the car. I believe the "other items" load in my car is ~200W per the energy screen with the car just on. so every 5 hours is a kwh or so, very roughly 120 hours until out of juice? Just a thought...

-Matt

I really don't think you can kill the traction battery by leaving a load on the 12v battery.
Dome light, headlight, whatever.. if the contactor is not closed, the main battery isn't discharging.
Even if it wakes up in 5 days and charges up your 12v battery (which is should), that won't kill the big battery.

I suppose it's worth testing.. take a 10A load, plug it into the accessory/cigarette port, put the car on ACC and see if it continuously cycles the DC/DC to top off the 12v battery. Anyone know?

evnow said:
Take it to your PD and ask them to check it out - esp. the battery.

I got dizzy reading this thread---with all the "guessing". The damn thing's under warranty. So why not take it to the dealer and have it diagnosed/fixed? Geeesh!! :roll:

I would rather is sat at home for a week as a pretest rather than let the monkeys at the dealer have it to find nothing.
If you can repete the problem then take it in.

Back