Parking all day at a Chargepoint space in San Rafael?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlynch3

We've noticed that a certain Leaf tends to spend all day in one of the EV spaces at the C Street garage in San Rafael, CA. This is a very busy public space, and both chargers are frequently in use during the week. Perhaps it would be more polite to use some of the Leaf's built-in technology to remind the driver of this car to move out of the space when charging is complete... EV ethics are still evolving, but this seems to be a situation that can be handled more elegantly.

jlynch3 said:
We've noticed that a certain Leaf tends to spend all day in one of the EV spaces at the C Street garage in San Rafael, CA. This is a very busy public space, and both chargers are frequently in use during the week. Perhaps it would be more polite to use some of the Leaf's built-in technology to remind the driver of this car to move out of the space when charging is complete... EV ethics are still evolving, but this seems to be a situation that can be handled more elegantly.
Any note/phone/contact info on the dash?

The tyranny of free. One more reason to charge to charge.

KeiJidosha said:
jlynch3 said:

Leave a note on the car for them to contact you.

KeiJidosha said:
jlynch3 said:

We haven't noticed any contact info left, but we'll check again...

KeiJidosha said:
Yep - even a piddly $0.50/hour parking fee would deter this practice. The meter maids will enjoy handing out $50 tickets to violators!

jlynch3 said:

I was wondering about the ethics regarding public charging.

Is it OK to disconnect someone when their charge is complete and they are still plugged in...and how would one know that their charge was complete?

Thanks.

greengate said:
I was wondering about the ethics regarding public charging.

Is it OK to disconnect someone when their charge is complete and they are still plugged in...and how would one know that their charge was complete?
Well, that's a toughie. If there is a regulation, like there might soon be in WA, that says the car must be plugged in if occupying an EV space, then you are subjecting the person to a ticket. Otherwise, I think it entirely proper to unplug a vehicle no longer charging if the cable will reach to your vehicle. Many have made up cards giving permission to unplug after a certain time, or to call the owner.

For the LEAF, changing is finished if the three blue lights are lit solid, or they are all extinguished. I believe the 2013 LEAF has a J1772 locking mechanism. Not sure about the Volt, but I seem to recall that an alarm sounds if an unauthorized unplugging occurs.

greengate said:
...how would one know that their charge was complete?
Every car has it’s own indicators. On a LEAF, all the lights on the dash will go out. On the Fit EV, Green light is out. Focus Electric, light ring is dark. If you don’t know how to tell, don’t unplug.

ChargePoint shows charge status and current draw. ClipperCreek shows green charge light (relay closed). Blinks are difficult to discern, but most charge for connect time.

greengate said:
...Is it OK to disconnect someone when their charge is complete and they are still plugged in...
As ebill3 noted, when parking regulations require connection to occupy the space, don't take the plug.

If site charges for connect time, don’t take the plug.

Some J1772 plugs have a hole in the release button so it can be locked-out. Lock = no.

Owners vary from generous to territorial. Check the dash for a charge sharing protocol card. Most show time charge will finish and a cell number if a question. Follow card if present.

Chevy Volts are set to alarm when plug is disconnected. Function can be turned off, but no way to know.

In any situation where I decide to unplug another car, I always leave a charge sharing protocol card in my window or stay with the car so the other owner can contact me.

Thank you.

These replies have been very helpful.

Having just bought a '13, I haven't even charged it yet...but just looking down the road a bit!!

Tom

When the LEAF is done charging all 3 blue lights will be lit for a period of time (several minutes I believe) and then go out. However, if someone has a charge timer set and plugs in, the lights will also go out after a few minutes until the timer tells the car to start charging - at which point the blinking lights will begin. I don't advocate setting a charge timer for 'later' and then leaving your LEAF plugged into a public spot, but i'm just stating the facts.

Does this bug you because you would like to use the space to charge? If so, then certainly leave a note letting the user know that you would like to charge also.

If it bugs you just because it bugs you, well, um, er, a

Back