People keep asking if my car uses any gas

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveInSeattle said:
One guy kept asking me how many "miles to the gallon" even after he seemed to understand it is electric.

Yes, I get the same question - I typically change the dialog by saying something like "right now with my current electricity off-peak rates, I pay roughly $15 to drive 1,000 miles".

I sometimes follow with "I see you're driving a SUV - you probably get around 15 MPG right? To travel 1,000 miles how much does it cost you? Around $250? (1000 / 15 * 4)".

ehuna said:
I sometimes follow with "I see you're driving a SUV - you probably get around 15 MPG right? To travel 1,000 miles how much does it cost you? Around $250? (1000 / 15 * 4)".

I wouldn't use the follow up... makes one appear holier than thou I think. (sorry). I think letting them know how much it costs a month to run is all you need.

cdub said:
ehuna said:
I wouldn't use the follow up... makes one appear holier than thou I think. (sorry). I think letting them know how much it costs a month to run is all you need.
Depends on the audience. Strangers, I think you're right. People who know me, I wouldn't hesitate to add the dig.

jimcmorr said:
Not to be nit picking but the result of division by zero is undefined, not infinite. :geek:

evnow said:
SteveInSeattle said:
One guy kept asking me how many "miles to the gallon" even after he seemed to understand it is electric.
I promptly tell them infinite :lol:

So you're talking to someone who doesn't get a clear and easily understood concept (the car is electric, it doesn't use gas), and you want to try to explain, "Oh, I don't know, the value asymptotes as it approaches infinity, making it an undefined value."

lol - good luck with that :)

defiancecp said:
jimcmorr said:
Not to be nit picking but the result of division by zero is undefined, not infinite. :geek:

So you're talking to someone who doesn't get a clear and easily understood concept (the car is electric, it doesn't use gas), and you want to try to explain, "Oh, I don't know, the value asymptotes as it approaches infinity, making it an undefined value."

lol - good luck with that :)

LOL :lol: I guess that would be better taken as an inside MNL joke. :)

LOL :lol: I read someone's post (here I think) that said they were thinking of taking their LEAF to Jiffy Lube or Midas Muffler to play a joke on them.

rawhog said:
After explaining that it is an electric car, I usually get asked, Ok so how far does it go before the gas kicks in. I say there is no gas or gas engine. They point out that it sure looks like an engine sitting there.

rawhog said:
After explaining that it is an electric car, I usually get asked, Ok so how far does it go before the gas kicks in. I say there is no gas or gas engine. They point out that it sure looks like an engine sitting there.
Pet peeve. Why did they make the inverter look like a stinking valve cover? Since most of my friends are geeks, almost everyone has commented on it.

Actually, I want to add an exhaust pipe (big chrome one) with a speaker in it. I can play different noises out of it.

Also want to add a dipstick. Not sure if I want chocolate or some other ingredient that I can lick.

TonyWilliams said:
Also want to add a dipstick. Not sure if I want chocolate or some other ingredient that I can lick.
The Chocolate Dipstick mod will no doubt outsell even Phil's upgrade. GO FOR IT!

I'll buy the first one,

Glenn

davewill said:
Pet peeve. Why did they make the inverter look like a stinking valve cover? Since most of my friends are geeks, almost everyone has commented on it.
That seems to come up a fair amount. Maybe we need a decal or metal plate to go on it that reads "Flux Capacitor." :D

I purchased a license plate frame that says, "No Gas, Sun Powered Electric". I still get an occasional comment that once they look under the hood and see the faux 4 banger valve cover, "What's the gas mileage?".

Hmm..."valve" in UK used to be used with vacuum tubes, which in turn could be used as switches. The modern-day transistors in the inverter do the same thing (albeit a lot better). The inverter is coils of wire, and switches. So, if someone can determine how many are used in there, we can make a label...48-Valve, or whatever. :D

BTW, Nissan did tell us that the look-alike was on purpose.

ERG4ALL said:
I purchased a license plate frame that says, "No Gas, Sun Powered Electric".
I went with "Solar Powered". I do see people pointing and talking about it, or maybe the car, while I'm stuck in traffic.

Here's what I did:

IMG_0805.jpg

I've also been amused with the apparent cognitive dissonance caused by the concept of an all electric vehicle. I love the facial expressions, the pauses, the extra confirmations and the blind reach for a problem: "well... but... um, what if something goes wrong with the battery?"

A nice rectangular aluminum box, bolted on near (or on top) of the valve cover with about 40 (or enough to blind you) high intensity LEDs pulsing all at the same time, about twice a second.. if they ask tell them its a high power motor controller. danger, high voltage dont touch... neat if you could rig a switch controlled by the hood opening.. also would act as an emergency blinker.

Christopher said:
I love the facial expressions, the pauses, the extra confirmations and the blind reach for a problem: "well... but... um, what if something goes wrong with the battery?"
Christopher, that is interesting how humans do that instead of "Wonderful, I wouldn't have to buy any more gas with an electric car!" They (read: we humans) also often ignore the ICE complexity that results in more breakdowns, required service, and cost ($, environmental, national security, etc.) ... Just because we're used to it and accept it.

Back