Permit needed for EVSE if using existing dryer outlet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wennfred said:
Don't want to start a new topic on this so here it goes,

I want to connect my 30A Bosch Power Max to a 50amp breaker with 6-2 wire. Is this correct? The plan is to have this set up for future Model E Tesla. 2011 SL, 6.6kw onboard charger.

Fred

Do you already know the specs for Model E??? 40A EVSE can be put on #8/50A breaker. For 30A it is probably safer to put it on a 40A breaker even if you decide to oversize the wires.

Valdemar said:
For 30A it is probably safer to put it on a 40A breaker even if you decide to oversize the wires.
Most likely the manual for the 30A EVSE will specify a 40A breaker, at which point you are required to use a 40A breaker.

Cheers, Wayne

Since you have a 30a evse I recommend staying with 40a breaker. Although #6 or #8 is fine with 40a breaker.
If you think you might go up to 40a evse such as Leviton then you may as well pull #6 now and just pop on a 50a breaker when you switch the evse.

smkettner said:
Since you have a 30a evse I recommend staying with 40a breaker. Although #6 or #8 is fine with 40a breaker.
If you think you might go up to 40a evse such as Leviton then you may as well pull #6 now and just pop on a 50a breaker when you switch the evse.

40A Leviton EVSE calls for #8/50A breaker in the installation manual. 40a*1.25=50a. #8 can be used for a 50A circuit.

Valdemar said:
40A Leviton EVSE calls for #8/50A breaker in the installation manual. 40a*1.25=50a. #8 can be used for a 50A circuit.
#8 copper has an ampacity of 50A for 75C rated insulation. So it is fine if you are using a wiring method that allows you to utilize the 75C rating, e.g. THHN in conduit. However, NM cable is limited to the 60C rating (although the conductors inside are 90C rated), and if you want a 50A circuit with NM cable, you must use #6 copper.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
Valdemar said:
#8 copper has an ampacity of 50A for 75C rated insulation. So it is fine if you are using a wiring method that allows you to utilize the 75C rating, e.g. THHN in conduit. However, NM cable is limited to the 60C rating (although the conductors inside are 90C rated), and if you want a 50A circuit with NM cable, you must use #6 copper.

Cheers, Wayne

I stand corrected.

Don't want to start a new topic on this so here it goes,

I want to connect my 30A Bosch Power Max to a 50amp breaker with 6-2 wire. Is this correct? The plan is to have this set up for future Model E Tesla. 2011 SL, 6.6kw onboard charger.

-NEC 625 requires that the circuit breaker be rated 125% over the maximum output of the EVSE, so the Bosch Unit would need = 40Amps . You could connect with #6 wiring but you'd be fine with #8's and a #10 ground.

Back