PG&E proposes E-1 tier and rate changes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet4ever

PG&E has posted notice proposing rate changes for the (default) E-1 rate schedule, effective this coming summer. They claim that it will be revenue neutral, but that certainly doesn't mean it will be cost-neutral to most of their customers. They propose to reduce the current four tiers to three by combining tier 2 and 3, increase the tier 1 rate, reduce the tier 4 (which becomes 3) rate a bit, and set the new tier 2 rate between the old tier 2 and 3 rates, but closer to the old tier 2 rate.

I decided to plot this out to see what the real effect would be. I could have done it just for my area, but after a bit of thought, ended up plotting relative to baseline rather than kWh. That is less intuitive, but means that a single graph can show the effect for all E-1 customers. PG&E covers a huge and varied region, from coast to the crest of the Sierras, and from well south of Bakersfield to well north of Eureka. (Those two cities are about 470 miles apart, straight line distance.) The region is broken up into ten territories based on climate, and 4 different baseline quantities are assigned to each territory based on summer vs. winter and electric heating or not. (There are also special cases such as medical baseline.) The baseline is a claim of "normal" kWh usage per day for the territory and varies (assuming non-electric heating) from 7.5 kWh to 18.5 kWh. The price any customer pays per kWh depends on their usage relative to their baseline. Here are some sample baselines:
Code:
City              Summer    Winter
----------------------------------
Bakersfield       18.5      10.9
Fresno            17.1      11.7
Stockton          15.3      12.0
San Jose          11.0      11.7
San Francisco      7.5       9.1

Here is the graph I came up with. Note that the $ figures on the left are for the baseline amount of electricity. Divide by your baseline amount to get price per kWh:
PGE-E1-Proposed.png

As you can see, people using about 160% or more of their daily baseline will pay less, while people using less than 160% of baseline will pay more. Since for many people just charging their LEAF would use up baseline or more, LEAF owners who stay on the default E-1 rate will probably save a little money, at the expense of people who try to use as little electricity as possible.

Of course this does not address LEAF owners who switch to the special solar or EV rates.

Ray

Thanks for doing this! Can you post the link? Any info on the proposed EV rates?

srl99 said:
Can you post the link? Any info on the proposed EV rates?
Sorry, I don't have a link. The information came from an insert in my PG&E bill. I should have given you the numbers, though:
Code:
Current     Tier 1    Tier 2    Tier 3    Tier 4
Baseline%   0-100%   101-130%  131-200%   > 200%
cost/kWh   $0.13230  $0.15040  $0.31916  $0.35916

Proposed    Tier 1    Tier 2    Tier 3
Baseline%   0-100%   101-200%   > 200%
cost/kWh   $0.15000  $0.19897  $0.35000
Ray

^^^
Thanks!

Bill insert? I don't receive those as PG&E doesn't send me a paper bill. (There's a long story that's a tangent to that...) On my account, under Pay & Manage > View bill inserts, I don't see any such insert about E-1/proposed pricing changes yet.

I wonder if that only goes to folks on E-1? I'm not on that.

cwerdna said:
On my account, under Pay & Manage > View bill inserts, I don't see any such insert about E-1/proposed pricing changes yet. I wonder if that only goes to folks on E-1? I'm not on that.
Nope, I'm on E-6. The title of the insert was not very illuminating:
Notice of Pacific Gas and Electric Company's supplemental filing for summer 2014 residential electric rate reform (R12-06-013, phase 2)
It was all in caps, but I spared you that.

Ray

^^^
LOL! Gotta love titles that probably intend to obfuscate.

I just realized that the View bill inserts link takes the user to an apparently unpersonalized page, specifically http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/myaccount/explanationofbill/billinserts/index.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It currently says August 2013 bill inserts.

Perhaps they will update that, eventually.

Thanks for the info! So far we have only charged our Leaf 2-3 times at home, but if we ever get a second EV it will be more relevant.

Where do you find out the dates of your monthly PGE billing cycle dates? I tried to Google this, no luck, tried to search the PGE website no luck!
This months the my energy website said it was Dec 21, 2013 – Jan 18, 2014 wrong it ended on the 19th! and it changed everyday.
Why is this a secret? My credit card statements make it very clear!

WHY! are billing periods of PGE customers not disclosed to customers?
I should NOT have to ask for this information and what reasons other than to keep the customer in the DARK for not disclosing it.
How much would it cost to put it on the bill $.0000000000000000001 , if that
Actions like this are why we have millions of regulations and I think we need one more!

This is what PGE wrote to my question about my billing dates

Dear ,

Thank you for using online services. Your next billing period ends on 02/20/2014. This information is not available on bills or online.

If you have further concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us, either by replying to this message directly or by contacting our Customer Service Line at 1-800-743-5000. We are happy to address your concerns. Customer service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Thank you for using our online services.

Pacific Gas & Electric Company
http://www.pge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Original Message--

Back