PLEASE LET US ORDER NOW NISSAN ALL ACROSS THE U. S. A.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOPCAT, if you were to lease the car the $7500 tax credit is taken into that financing, so you don't have to come up with a tax bill of $7500 or more to take advantage. I am not sure how you could arrange a lease being in a non-rollout state currently. Though, I think NC and SC are in the tier 2 with GA and some others. I am waiting for official word from my inquiry to Customer Service.

TOPCATLEAF said:
I will buy and not consider a lease so what that price increase is for the 2012 model and the disappearing tax credit means a lot to my final decision.
Some people with without enough income for the tax credit have leased, then exercised the buyout a short time later. You will pay some finance charges, but if you can't take the credit yourself, it may be a win for you. I haven't seen anything published that says there will be a price increase. You seem to be making an assumption without data.

Nor can I find any indication that the tax credit expires as you claim.

IRS said:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/article/0,,id=214841,00.html
Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles (IRC 30D)
For vehicles acquired after December 31, 2009, the credit is equal to $2,500 plus, for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. The total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500.

The credit begins to phase out for a manufacturer’s vehicles when at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009). For additional information see Notice 2009-89.

The qualified plug-in electric drive credit under IRC Section 30D no longer applies to low speed vehicles. However, the credit under section 30, discussed below, applies to certain low speed vehicles acquired after December 31, 2009.

The one for low-speed vehicles expires the end of this year, maybe that's what you were thinking of.
IRS said:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/article/0,,id=214841,00.html
Plug-in Electric Vehicles (IRC 30)

Internal Revenue Code Section 30 provides a credit for qualified plug-in electric vehicles. The credit is equal to 10 percent of the cost of a qualified plug-in electric vehicle and is limited to $2,500. Qualified vehicles may include low-speed vehicles or vehicles that have two or three wheels.

Vehicles must be acquired after February 17, 2009, and before January 1, 2012. The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale. Additionally, the original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer and the vehicle must be used predominantly in the United States.

I would like to insert some basic economic facts into this discussion.

1. Nissan is a for profit corporation. They make money by selling cars. The concept that they are withholding product from the market where demand exceeds supply is ludicrous. You can rest assured that they are making and shipping Leafs as fast as they possibly can.

2. In our instant news ADD world, we seem to have already forgotten how devastating the earthquake/Tsunami/Nuclear meltdown was to Japan and its economy in general, and Nissan in particular. The fact that they are able to produce any significant number of Leafs at all should be a source of amazement.

3. Given they currently lack the capability to make enough Leafs to meet demand, It is not unreasonable for them to focus on the initial market where the dealers are up to speed, and they have their own engineers in place to deal with early adopter problems. As soon as they catch up in the launch states, tier 2 will open up. Nissan's lesson learned from the last nine months is don't take an order unless you can deliver in 3-4 months.

4. All the bitching and moaning here doesn't matter in the big picture. There are what, 1500-2000 forum members? That's less that one month of production if the Japan plant were up to full speed. In fact I've noticed that as soon as the whiners get their car delivered, they turn into gushers about how great their Leaf is. That's convinced me to hang on until whenever here in the forgotten 36. Just hope my old Mazda can last that long.

Thanks Dave!

I did find a citation that seemed to agree with TOPCAT about the dec 2011 expiration. However... see below. Here is the link... http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/409

Here is an excerpt...
A tax credit is available for the purchase of a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle that draws propulsion using a traction battery that has at least four kilowatt hours of capacity, uses an external source of energy to recharge the battery, has a gross vehicle weight rating of up to 14,000 pounds, and meets specified emission standards. The minimum credit amount is $2,500, and the credit may be up to $7,500, based on each vehicle's traction battery capacity and the gross vehicle weight rating. The credit will begin to be phased out for each manufacturer in the second quarter following the calendar quarter in which a minimum of 200,000 qualified plug-in electric drive vehicles have been sold by that manufacturer for use in the U.S. This tax credit applies to vehicles acquired after December 31, 2009. Through December 31, 2011, qualified plug-in electric vehicle conversions are also eligible for a tax credit for 10% of the conversion cost, not to exceed $4,000.

I see that there is some confusion brought on by the period that separates the sentence that ends "December 31, 2009." and the sentence that begins "December 31, 2011..." The underlined sentence affects plug-in vehicle conversions.

Now I feel better because it was my understanding that this tax credit did not expire until 200,000 vehicles were sold by a particular manufacturer.

I very much appreciate the feedback about all this and I have carefully studied the tax credit business. I still get out of it that unless congress changes something in the next few months then Dec. 31, 2011 is it for the tax credit on the Leaf.
I did not realize the situation with the Lease tax credit business. That will be something to dig into and consider. Of course the insurance is a factor too on a lease. If you buy I you do not have to pay for comprehensive and collision insurance coverage which is expensive matter here. Also, all leases have finance charges to consider I believe. I just realized I never leased a car before! You folks have put my brain to work. I would have to say there is a possibililty a lease might be a good option on this car for other reasons. For one thing, it is all new technology. A lease might be less risky in a way. Who knows what changes will be made in the 3 years of a lease and after that period looking at buying one will be a different proposition with say a hundred thousand of them on the road by then maybe.
I have looked at getting one from adjoining state of Tennessee which is an introduction state but they are not delivering any I know of and Nissan got wind of my efforts and derailed me!

TOPCATLEAF said:
I very much appreciate the feedback about all this and I have carefully studied the tax credit business. I still get out of it that unless congress changes something in the next few months then Dec. 31, 2011 is it for the tax credit on the Leaf.
Please supply some references then, because I don't see how you get that AT ALL. The IRS site seems very clear to me.

TOPCATLEAF said:
I did not realize the situation with the Lease tax credit business. That will be something to dig into and consider. Of course the insurance is a factor too on a lease. If you buy I you do not have to pay for comprehensive and collision insurance coverage which is expensive matter here. Also, all leases have finance charges to consider I believe. I just realized I never leased a car before! You folks have put my brain to work. I would have to say there is a possibililty a lease might be a good option on this car for other reasons. For one thing, it is all new technology. A lease might be less risky in a way. Who knows what changes will be made in the 3 years of a lease and after that period looking at buying one will be a different proposition with say a hundred thousand of them on the road by then maybe.
I have looked at getting one from adjoining state of Tennessee which is an introduction state but they are not delivering any I know of and Nissan got wind of my efforts and derailed me!

You have the tax credit info backwards. It would take an act of Congress to terminate it early - essentially canceling the program. As the law stands now, the credit exists until 200,000 Leafs are sold, no time limit.
Also, leasing a car does not excuse you from having to buy insurance - the lease does not include insurance.

Take a look at my quote above TOPCAT. The text I cited, clearly has a period before the mention of December 31, 2011 ending that sentence and the thought about the Federal tax credit. The next sentence that begins with December 31, 2011 clearly mentions Electric vehicle conversions and a 10% credit towards the cost of those.

Are you saying that in NC you don't have to have insurance on your car to cover damages you might cause to someone elses car? I would think that any lender (lease or purchase) would require you to carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle.

A lease is not my first choice but there are advantages to consider. I for one am glad we have given you some food for thought. Good luck with your endevours.

TOPCATLEAF said:

I am just noting that in all the states as far as I know if you own the car outright and do not have a loan or a lease on the car you have the option to only insure it with liability insurance at the minimum required by that particular state. This saves the cost of collision and comprehensive insurance required by lease or financing. Depending on deductibles selected for insurance this can be a considerable savings depending on various state requirements. This is one reason I usually have bought my cars outright for many years. I do not drive a lot of miles and am retired so my risks are all local slow driving risks with few miles driven. I have made certain I do pay a bit more for uninsured coverage now because so many folks talking on cell phones are making driving around my small town a big more hazardous than it used to be........ and these days it is hard to drive even one week without seeing some one texting or talking on cell phone and going right through a red light! Wouldn't it be terrible to finally manage to get a new leaf and get T-boned first week!?

It is an exciting time to think of owning a new Leaf. I agree. And I will hold out for a RED one too!~ AND I WILL WAIT AS LONG AS IT TAKES. AND I WILL BUY ONE AS SOON AS I CAN. SO NISSAN LET ME ORDER MINE!! TOPCAT LEAF.

TOPCATLEAF said:
I am just signed up and have not been allowed to order at this point and they have a dealer showing just over the N. C./S. C. state line in Greenville, South Carolina which makes no sense to me and they will not let me change it.

You should be able to log into your account, click the "find a dealer" link on the bottom of the page, type in your zipcode and the just select any Leaf certified Nissan dealership that you want. They become your preferred dealer and the one that you request a quote from when its time to order. Looks like there's one in Asheville.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110610/CARNEWS/110619994

the volt is now available in all 50 states.

this should put the heat on for a Leaf 50 state release!

kmp647 said:
the volt is now available in all 50 states.
this should put the heat on for a Leaf 50 state release!

I don't agree. A person wanting a vehicle that does not use gasoline will not be interested in the Volt. And I think Nissan knows this. The markets are quite different in my opinion.

jimcmorr said:
I don't agree. A person wanting a vehicle that does not use gasoline will not be interested in the Volt. And I think Nissan knows this. The markets are quite different in my opinion.

The Volt does not use gasoline if you never put any in it.. it runs fine without gasoline but you may get a dash light when it tries to do engine maintenance in about a year... just ignore it or put half a gallon of gas in.

Perhaps what you were trying to say is that the Volt is a limited range BEV, only 35 miles vs 73 for the Leaf.

Herm said:
The Volt does not use gasoline if you never put any in it.. it runs fine without gasoline but you may get a dash light when it tries to do engine maintenance in about a year... just ignore it or put half a gallon of gas in.

Perhaps what you were trying to say is that the Volt is a limited range BEV, only 35 miles vs 73 for the Leaf.

LOL :lol: You are correct the Volt will not use gas if you don't put any in it but as you also point out that makes the Volt a 35 mile range BEV compared to the LEAF which can do 73 or more on a charge. I think that makes the LEAF the favorite in the context of Battery only Electric Vehicles.

orderaleaf said:
I think i have a way fo you to order now. pm or email me [email protected]

What do you do search for an orphan for a fee? There is no other way LEAFs come into this country at this time other than being ordered by a resident of a tier 1 state and then being refused at delivery.

jimcmorr said:
orderaleaf said:
I think i have a way fo you to order now. pm or email me [email protected]

What do you do search for an orphan for a fee? There is no other way LEAFs come into this country at this time other than being ordered by a resident of a tier 1 state and then being refused at delivery.

I called orderaleaf and chatted about his proposal. He seems a reasonable person and not the scamer I expected to find. His proposal seems like it will be okay. He tells me he has successfully used this method with other individuals.

Unfortunately I am not in a position financially to take him up on it right now. My house is for sale. Once that is completed I will be moving to GA where ordering can be done in August or September. And I will have adequate financial resources to make the purchase work for me.

If you are thinking of going this route... do your own due diligence and research to determine if this is right for you.

Back