Plugging in your EVSE .. is it difficult?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaka

Just had my Schneider L2 EVSE installed at my home yesterday (the 2nd generation unit). It works flawless and charges quickly and wonderfully. My only notice thus far is that it can be a bit "snug" getting it in. The EVSE L1 that came with the car didn't suffer from this. I'm guessing this is just a tight clearance with the OD of the SAE plug versus the ID of the socket on the car.

Could have sworn a few days ago reading the forums I saw someone had the same issue and had a resolve, but now I can't seem to find that thread... any suggestions?

You might be remembering this topic:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10390&start=30#p246297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Checking for a slipped o-ring should be easy enough.

my BLINK EVSE is a little snug, after analyzing the Panasonic L1 EVSE (Supplied with the vehicle) to the J1772 plug on the BLINK, both plastics are slightly different. It seems the Panasonic is shiney and smooth as the BLINK J1772 plug is not. No idea if this makes that big of a difference or if it could be .00X mm difference in thickness on the circumference of the adapter... either way i always check both plugs on car and EVSE for debris and slide it in to charge (slow and carefully) Never had any issues after 4months now.

Very happy with the BLINK EVSE. never an issue.

Yes, Richard, that was the thread. I looked at there was no dislodged rubber o-ring/gasket on my charger nor my car. However the experience I'm having is somewhat similar to mazdaboi's mention of dislike materials. However, the issue isn't really so much a fitment as much as a depth. They slide together 95% of the way just fine (charging starts, everyone is happy). It is that last 1/8" or so where the unit snugs up, and the plastic "release" handle doesn't go far enough to engage. The resolution is that once you get them "started" you just use a TAD extra force to snap it in place... so get the handle in only a bit, but rather than engaging it SLOWLY, do so with some gusto and it works fine.

I may also eventually look at a MILD use of sand-paper to improve fitment... or even a light coating of grease on the outside of the J1772 handle (Schneider side, not the car)... but very moderate if any... we'll see... for now I seem to have my issue licked, I guess... just needs a certain finesse haha....

Shaka said:
Yes, Richard, that was the thread. I looked at there was no dislodged rubber o-ring/gasket on my charger nor my car. However the experience I'm having is somewhat similar to mazdaboi's mention of dislike materials. However, the issue isn't really so much a fitment as much as a depth. They slide together 95% of the way just fine (charging starts, everyone is happy). It is that last 1/8" or so where the unit snugs up, and the plastic "release" handle doesn't go far enough to engage. The resolution is that once you get them "started" you just use a TAD extra force to snap it in place... so get the handle in only a bit, but rather than engaging it SLOWLY, do so with some gusto and it works fine.

I may also eventually look at a MILD use of sand-paper to improve fitment... or even a light coating of grease on the outside of the J1772 handle (Schneider side, not the car)... but very moderate if any... we'll see... for now I seem to have my issue licked, I guess... just needs a certain finesse haha....

Could simply be the 'newness' of your J1772 although my own Gen I Schneider EVlink was always 'snug' but not really an issue attaching and it always has 'latched' properly since day one. Do you see any plastic burrs on the 'nozzle' end that would prevent it from going in all the way? It's plastic and perhaps something was left behind when they made it. I'm sure it's supposed to be a tighter fit without a lot of tolerance so the least bit of excess plastic may sometimes prevent it from latching (just a thought).

Back