Poll : TradeIn or Gift ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you plan to do with your current car ?

• Leaf is not replacing a current vehicle

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Trade-In

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Sell on my own

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Leased car goes back to dealer

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Gift to charity

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Give to family/friends

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Not yet decided

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

evnow

Leaf is going to replace my '98 Maxima with some 100K miles. KBB says, the trade-in value is some 2,700. I've been wondering whether it is even worth it to negotiate a trade in or should I just give it away as gift.

One thing I learnt about gift is that most places just auction it - which fetches a low value for the charity. According to new IRS rules we can only deduct actual auction price rather than book value.

But there are places which actually give the car to people who need a cheap car. As an added benefit, you can also count full book value in your tax returns.

http://www.working-wheels.org/

What are you planning to do ?

I clicked Sell On My Own, but in fact my BMW is going back home to the dealer at the end of its lease in the middle of January.

If the stars align properly, I can drive my Leaf home from the BMW dealer after turning in the BMW.

We chose to lease the BMW three years ago because I expected that I might be able to get an EV or something interesting in a hybrid by the end of the lease, and I wouldn't be stuck selling an ICE car in this economy. And I was right!

Boomer23 said:
I clicked Sell On My Own, but in fact my BMW is going back home to the dealer at the end of its lease in the middle of January.

I'll include that option !

Edit : Oh no. It removed all the current votes :shock:

Oh well. Live & learn.

Gavin said:
No option for, "don't have a car"

Haven't owned a car in over 5 years.

Gavin

Was considering including that option - then I thought "Leaf is not replacing a current vehicle" covers that situation :)

I'll be keeping my Camry for the occasional out of town trips but it will remain parked 95% of the time now. 95% of my driving is done within 20 miles of home so the Leaf is the perfect run-a- round car for me.

You forgot the "keep it option". My 2002 Subaru will continue to get me to the ski slopes in the winter and trailheads in the summer. Hopefully, some day soon there will be sufficient range/infrastructure that this will no longer be necessary, but, I fear that a snow worthy EV is still a few years out.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I'm planning to destroy my ICE car when I get the Leaf so no one else will get it and create more CO2 emissions.

Since most folks don't want EV's or PHEV's, doesn't that just mean another ICE car will have to be manufactured prematurely?

evnow said:
detlefo said:
You forgot the "keep it option". .

"keep it option" = "Leaf is not replacing a current vehicle"

"keep it option" != "Leaf is not replacing a current vehicle"

"keep it option" is one of "Leaf is not replacing a current vehicle" or "Leaf will be primary vehicle, keeping old vehicle only for long trips (2-car hybrid option)."

I would choose the later.

TimeHorse said:
"keep it option" is one of "Leaf is not replacing a current vehicle" or "Leaf will be primary vehicle, keeping old vehicle only for long trips (2-car hybrid option)."

Now we are splitting hair ;)

Leaf is replacing a current vehicle, functionally. But that current vehicle is not going to be dealt with in accordance or any of the offered choices.

evnow said:
"keep it option" = "Leaf is not replacing a current vehicle"

Yodrak said:
Leaf is replacing a current vehicle, functionally.

That "functionally" is what makes it splitting hair.

In anycase, that is not the important part of the poll. What I wanted to know was - if you are disposing off a current car - how are you doing it.

One of mine will be going to a 16 year old new driver in the family. [rant]Well, it will if he ever gets off his arse and gets his permit, that is. I don't know what's wrong with kids these days. When I was that age, getting my permit, and then my license, were jobs 1 and 2 on the "to do" list that summer. Not to mention saving enough money to buy my own junker. Heaven forbid my parents should help me out, never mind give me a decent car of my own (though I did have use of my mom's). [/rant]

I'm keeping the car the Leaf will replace for the same reason (as well as just in case the Leaf doesn't work out).

I hope my kid is like yours - I think 16 is too young to be putting kids on the road and I'm hoping I can put him off to 17. I get tired of seeing little memorials along side the road - a cross and some flowers - where some 16 year old killed themself at 3 am on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

mwalsh said:
One of mine will be going to a 16 year old new driver in the family. Well, it will if he ever gets off his arse and gets his permit, that is. I don't know what's wrong with kids these days. When I was that age, getting my permit, and then my license, were jobs 1 and 2 on the "to do" list that summer.

Back