Tesla: Bonfire of the Money Printers’ Vanities

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let them trash talk Tesla. Maybe we can pick up a few more shares cheaper.

When the Gigafactory and Model 3 hit, with no dealerships and Supercharger access, then the magic begins.

lorenfb said:
The "latest firmware" is just for the user interface (UI) and not for any re-flash of the many key modules
(ECUs), e.g. motor controller, ABS/stability system, which requires a visit to a Tesla facility. Tesla
may be able to do an over-the-air minor coding changes to an ECU but not a major programming
re-flash of an ECU. Other OEMs have this capability too now.

Not really.
They have, through software updates, changed the behavior of the suspension, improved Performace, added "creep" as some customers were requesting it, added a hill hold assist, etc.

None of the above require a service center visit.

Zythryn said:
lorenfb said:
The "latest firmware" is just for the user interface (UI) and not for any re-flash of the many key modules
(ECUs), e.g. motor controller, ABS/stability system, which requires a visit to a Tesla facility. Tesla
may be able to do an over-the-air minor coding changes to an ECU but not a major programming
re-flash of an ECU. Other OEMs have this capability too now.

Not really.
They have, through software updates, changed the behavior of the suspension, improved Performace, added "creep" as some customers were requesting it, added a hill hold assist, etc.

None of the above require a service center visit.

As I said:
"Tesla may be able to do an over-the-air minor coding changes to an ECU but not a major programming
re-flash of an ECU. Other OEMs have this capability too now."

lorenfb said:
As I said:
"Tesla may be able to do an over-the-air minor coding changes to an ECU but not a major programming
re-flash of an ECU. Other OEMs have this capability too now."

You've proven that your definition of minor vs. major is... your definition of minor vs. major. ;)

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Let them trash talk Tesla. Maybe we can pick up a few more shares cheaper. When the Gigafactory and Model 3 hit, with no dealerships and Supercharger access, then the magic begins.
Nailed it right there.

The holy grail of EV business is battery price, not much else. Tesla's on the right track by far.

My only worry about future of any Tesla vehicle, particularly Model 3, is that -1.5 camber on the rear tires that's know to trash them after mere 10,000 miles (currently Model S problem).

Kid you not. And, of course, that "TV set" display going dark.

lorenfb said:
It appears many view the future of the EV highly contingent on the success/failure of Tesla.
This is far from the present day reality of the EV market, as many/most automotive OEMs
view and realize the EV market as the future. Those OEMs are just as capable if not more
so, given their resources, e.g. financial and technological, in the long term as is Tesla.

Tesla presently has no key ecosystem or technology assuring their success in the long term
versus other automotive OEMs. Once key technologies are available, e.g. a low cost battery
for a 200-300 range, most present day BEV OEMs can easily produce a commodity EV in
volume numbers. Just as the PC market growth catalyst was the internet, so will the ideal
energy storage device be the catalyst for an EV market which replaces the ICE market independent
of who the EV automotive OEM is.

I don't have a Tesla and probably never will, but I can see that Tesla is forging ahead in the EV marketplace despite the fact that they do not, and will never have, the capability to supply the entire market.

Did you miss the reasoning behind the release of Tesla's core software patents?

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_AU/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I started out with my first company, Zip2, I thought patents were a good thing and worked hard to obtain them. And maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors. After Zip2, when I realized that receiving a patent really just meant that you bought a lottery ticket to a lawsuit, I avoided them whenever possible.

At Tesla, however, we felt compelled to create patents out of concern that the big car companies would copy our technology and then use their massive manufacturing, sales and marketing power to overwhelm Tesla. We couldn’t have been more wrong. The unfortunate reality is the opposite: electric car programs (or programs for any vehicle that doesn’t burn hydrocarbons) at the major manufacturers are small to non-existent, constituting an average of far less than 1% of their total vehicle sales.

At best, the large automakers are producing electric cars with limited range in limited volume. Some produce no zero emission cars at all.

Given that annual new vehicle production is approaching 100 million per year and the global fleet is approximately 2 billion cars, it is impossible for Tesla to build electric cars fast enough to address the carbon crisis. By the same token, it means the market is enormous. Our true competition is not the small trickle of non-Tesla electric cars being produced, but rather the enormous flood of gasoline cars pouring out of the world’s factories every day.

We believe that Tesla, other companies making electric cars, and the world would all benefit from a common, rapidly-evolving technology platform.

Tesla may not be the ultimate answer, but they are doing everything they reasonably can to enable that answer.

lorenfb said:
Beleaf said:

Obviously the industry saw no real value, as most all just yawned!

I didn't ask about the industry reaction, I asked if you missed the reasoning. Clearly, you missed it.

lorenfb said:
Beleaf said:

That's because they see no reason to rush forward with EVs. They don't care about carbon emissions, energy efficiency or the like. The only reason modern gas engines are as efficient as they are today is because of government mandates. We'd still be getting 1970s era fuel economy, safety, and emissions if the auto makers had their way. They're going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future, either through government incentives/mandates, or MAJOR spikes is gas prices.

Kicking and screaming with their arms twisted. That is the only way to change status quo. Just remember how they fought seat belts. All the way to congress.

And how Shells and Exxons of the gas world kept buying high-mileage carburetor patents.

There is a big crack in the Antarctic just announced today that will in the near future send an iceberg the size of Rhode Island bye-bye into the Pacific. Our progeny is f***ed. Period.

It has been several days since that hit piece was published, but there is not a single comment - that is very odd, given that any support for dealer mafia invariably brings in hundreds of negative comments against the dealership model.

lorenfb said:
Beleaf said:

I would yawn too. I mean, why would anyone be interested in a 135 kW Supercharger unit that can split service between two cars when you'd rather make a big press release about installing single-car 25 kW stations?

Back